PDA

View Full Version : Friedhelm Norbert Nacht

Wilson-3d
04-30-2006, 06:59 PM
Hi. I am going back into a few of my animations and trying to polish them off before I do another cut of my reel. I am very interested in any comets ranging from broad crits to details like ease ins / outs, pops, weight shifts, anything you notice that can use some more work.
I have just finished another pass on this animation of Friedhelm

http://www.chrismyers3d.com/wip/cmyers_tinfoil_wip.mov

Join conspiracy theorist Friedhelm Norbert Nacht and his pet frozen turkey, Trotter, as they try to evade the government from erasing Friedhelm's memory.

Thanks a lot for any feedback!

if you are intersted in seeing it before the above animation pass (for comparison) you can see it here:
http://www.chrismyers3d.com/animation/cmyers_foil.mov

mistasam02
04-30-2006, 09:19 PM
LOL wow... just wow.... is that his doggy? lolololol :applause:

cool concept, and animation looks coo.. just a lil awkward. not sure why.. maybe have the old dude waving around an empty foil box? or some camera cuts? something to spice it up.. because when he pauses in his speech, everything seems to stop. i think you should have him do something crazy to fill that space. or have the turkey tip over? lol iono, but very good so far! keep it up! looks like a funny clip!

Wilson-3d
05-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Hi mistasam02. Thanks a lot for the comments. I am glad you liked it.

Any commets on what may be making it seem awkward to anyone or any other crits would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks
Chris

Wilson-3d
05-03-2006, 05:51 AM
Hello.
A friend gave me a really nice detailed critique and I have tried to work all the changes in.
I would love to hear any new comments or critiques.
Thanks

New Version
http://www.chrismyers3d.com/wip/cmyers_tinfoil_wip2.mov

patconnole
05-03-2006, 06:16 AM
Interesting idea!

My only crits:

The poses for "we gotta get tinfoil...noooowwww!".... I can't decide if there are three poses there, or two. 1)198 2)203 3)208. I'm not sure what you're intention was, but if I were doing it, I'd take out anything that looks like a distinct pose on 203, and just make a smooth transition with nice arcs between the poses at 198 and 208. They're great poses, but get jumbled up with the 'half pose' at 203.

Then, when he rights himself from 250-end, his head/neck look like their rotation is in 'global space', .... not sure how to put it... The rotation of the spine doesn't seem to effect them. I'd put in an anticipation by bringing the head/neck down first, while the spine is pulling back up. Anyway, some sort of rotation there would make it feel more natural.

Great poses! Hope this helps.

Headless
05-03-2006, 02:00 PM
As people have said it certainly on it's way but it just looks a little stilted and awkward in parts. It's kind of tough to point out issues because rather than there being any single glaring issues there are just lots and lots of little things that need tweaking, and subtle stuff like that is really tough to describe.

I guess one overriding thing that you might want to think about are the beats in the dialogue and matching that up to your animation. Something I do when doing this kind of thing is to set the dialogue on repeat on my speakers and stand up and act it out, and just keep repeating it and keep acting it out until you've thought things through. Think about when you're making steps, on what syllables are you hitting poses.

Also think about what poses you are actually pulling when you act it out: alot of the time people animate these extreme poses that are way over-the-top, and really they shouldn't have to do that to get dynamic motion. Just keep it subtle and realistic and then push it a little further later on if you need it.

Like I say, it's all just lots of little tweaks that you need to iron out. If you don't notice them then take a step back from the animation, do something else for a day or so, then come back to it and you're likely to notice alot more stuff.

Wilson-3d
05-05-2006, 04:15 PM
Updated version:
http://www.chrismyers3d.com/wip/cmyers_tinfoil_wip3.mov

Pat:
Thanks a lot for really digging in and checking it out. I agree 100% with you and have made changes in the new version below. The comment about frame 203 was great. I think what happened is I was going in and doing more and more tweens by hand. Which I really like - taking more control over it - but I seem to of got off pose on that one. Thanks for pointing it out. Also I totally noticed the anticipation comment once I looked at it again. I think your comments really helped.
Good stuff - Thanks

Headless:
Thanks for the comments. I know what you mean. I actually did go over this a bunch and filmed myself for reference. I still agree with you. It looks like I need to either go back and look at the reference footage or work on my timing when I am acting it out the next one. I did this about 8 months ago and have been going in to try and really make it a good piece for my reel. So I hope the next one I start from scratch will show improvement with beats. I will go in and take a look at it again. You are right I have seen it so many times that is looks like it is hitting on the correct beats to me. I will check it out some more and play with that over the weekend.

As always I would love to hear any comments or critiques.
Thanks a lot.

CGTalk Moderation
05-05-2006, 04:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.