PDA

View Full Version : What's rule when rigging ?

chuong
04-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Hi,
I don't know much about rigging, just take a look around and ....get confused.
In some book, i see that we can reposition joints the way we like, we can move it ("Learning maya: Character rigging and Animation" and the rigging tutorial of the DVD training from SimplyMaya about making an elephant), they don't take care of the orientation of the joint.
But the "Maya techniques : hyper rigging" tell that we can only reposition joints just by changing the orientation attribute !
So, what's the different ? What's rules ?
Sorry for my English ;)

pichoo
04-30-2006, 12:59 PM
To my understanding, we need to orient our joints if we moved/adjust them after creating them at the first time (because the joint orientation is screwed). Otherwise there's no need to reorient them.

stewartjones
05-01-2006, 02:35 PM
yea, as above! if you need to edit your joint placement after you initially place them (which is often the case) then once you have them in the position you like you will have to go and re-orientate them. No big deal really, just confusing at first! :)

PEN
05-02-2006, 01:12 PM
Reorienting the joints can be a real pain but there is a tool in Maya that will help. It only works about 50% of the time so there are other solutions that people have written in MEL. Most of them can make a real mess of the twist along a set of joints and you may have to tweek it by hand at each joint to get it back just the way that you like.

Leionaaad
05-02-2006, 02:41 PM
no need to worry. Once you place the joints, you can move them freely. Th orient joints tool will take care of the ploblem - and other problems will occur.
The thing with orient joint tool is that is calculated by Maya, and often is not really what we would want.
So, we have the joint orient atributes, wich are slow, but they do exactly what you want...

CGTalk Moderation
05-02-2006, 02:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.