PDA

View Full Version : Maya Rigging?

mayakindaguy
04-30-2006, 07:41 AM
I'm not sure if expressions are necessary, but here's what I want to do.

I was trying to creat stretch in arm joints, by scaling the joint sizes. However, by default the scale happens I think in the middle of all the joints. Obviously you cannot edit the pivot of the joints, so is there a simple way or an expression that I could use to make the scale start at the base?

Also, I want to limit an objects tranlsations to a certain area (basically creating a controller on the side of the mouth that can create deformations or drive a blendshape). However, the area defined is not a flat 2d space. Instead it's like a flat plane circle that's curved or arced.

For example, lets say i wanted to confine the movement of a surface to the XY plane, within the positive quadrant, where the path of the surface would approach the limit of the positive X axis, and the positive Y axis. How would I go about doing that via an expression or any other method? I want to do this in 3d space, and preferably not with a symetrical arc. I'd prefer to follow the contour of my geometry if possible.

BTW is the stretchy leg tutorial from rigging101.com still valid in current rigs? Also do people still use the 3 arm IK/FK blends? In addition (lol) I can't seem to get broken hierarchies to work without having the broken joints directly on top of each other.

Basically if I have an offset on the point constrain, when the rotation happens, the constrained shoulder joint, follows the orientation of the clavicle, but goes under the clavicle joint's direct line of action (if u drew a line out from the clavicle joint into infinite space).

CGTalk Moderation
04-30-2006, 07:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.