PDA

View Full Version : City of Industry

TogaMario
04-30-2006, 03:55 AM
Hello everybody,
This is my first serious post for any 2D work I've ever done. It's just so difficult to finish these works for me, since they rarely come out worth finishing (due to composition, color, difficulty or details I'm unsure of). I'm trying my hardest to finish this out, and below are the progression pictures so far. Please tell me if you can think of anything I may need to do/watch out for. I'm currently in the process of detailing the middle ground, then I want to do the foreground. Thanks you!

http://www.togamario.com/images/Setup.jpg

http://www.togamario.com/images/Setup2.jpg

http://www.togamario.com/images/Setup3.jpg

http://www.togamario.com/images/Setup4.jpg

jmBoekestein
04-30-2006, 04:12 AM
logically it would seem a good idea to me to establish more dynamics at this stage adn dump in some texures. looking very goood though!!!

TogaMario
04-30-2006, 04:21 AM
Thank you, jmBoekestein!

What do you mean by dynamics? Is it considered cheating to take textures i've made for 3D and use them to get a gritty/industrial feel on the tower and other areas? Thanks again.

jmBoekestein
04-30-2006, 04:30 AM
Well to be honest I've been trying to understand composition theories myself. So I can't give you conclusive enough theories lol. I'm arather cinfused myself at times lol

I guess what I mean is there would be a lot happening between foreground and background as is and I'd like to see some of it.

And I don't think it would be considered cheating at all, as long as the effect of them si good if you get my point. Stealing disaccounted ofcourse.

jmBoekestein
04-30-2006, 04:32 AM
Well take into consideration the attention of your eye, you would look at certain parts to recognise what happens in an image. That's the only 'good' guide to composition I found so far at that lol.

TogaMario
04-30-2006, 04:36 AM
Oh yes :D I'm having "drawers block" on what exactly I want to be buzzing around in the middleground. I know there should be something that I need to be selling, but ... bleh! I can't figure it out. I know I want those smoke stacks to be major players. Maybe I should think of some tragedy to throw in there? I don't know, honestly. Hopefully it'll come to me, though, lol. Suggestions, anyone?

Taltos
04-30-2006, 10:43 AM
those are smokestacks? :eek: i thought that would be burning buildings....

TogaMario
04-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Any suggestions on how to portray "smoke-stack"ness better? Thanks.

I think I finally figured out what I want the pay-off to be (a larger ship, hovering just outside the hargar, looking towards the viewer). Sounds cool to me, anyway :D

aldog
04-30-2006, 05:53 PM
First off, love the clouds
For your middle ground it seems to me that in #3 that area would best fit as just some open water, maybe you could have a roadway traveling from the foreground to the city in the background.
For your "smoke-stacked-ness" it seems to me that the smoke is too dark and thick, if it was closer to the color of the smoke in the background it might better portray that, and I'm not sure about it billowing so much.
Something that looks weird in the foreground is the angle of your 2 landing areas. the one on the right looks correct, but the one on the right looks like it's at too steep of an angle

Taltos
04-30-2006, 07:10 PM
concerning smokestack-ness: maybe the should not come out of the side of the building. i think nobody would place a smokestacks 10 floors below penthouse, if you get my meaning. i think they should be freestanding and higher than the other buildings.

TogaMario
04-30-2006, 07:23 PM
http://www.togamario.com/images/Setup5.jpg

Well, those are supposed to be some kind of refinery, so "penthouse" isn't quite the word for the top, but I get your meaning. I think I want to close the side of the building and add something more interesting that what's going on inside of it. They should indeed be taller than building, so it's time to redesign the building. The platform on the right needs to be lower than the one of the left (visually) so a larger ship can be placed on it. The foreground will be like a fueling station. Love the road idea, and before I thought about a sand road, but I think a highway looking road would pop more, maybe even be more interesting. Thanks guys.

slickgreekgeo
04-30-2006, 08:07 PM
You're off to a great start so far, your composition is great.

TogaMario
04-30-2006, 09:12 PM
Thanks, slickgreekgeo!

I updated the picture with a removed tower, just the smoke stack with a few details on it. I'll be sketching out the new middleground ship to take up the room that's been freed up.

aldog
04-30-2006, 09:22 PM
i think the updated one looks good, maybe you could have 3 smokestacks all hooked together but at different heights, cause it seems a bit bare there now

jmBoekestein
05-01-2006, 02:56 AM
I think you're really good with the smoke and clouds. Maybe you could just hint at stuff in the middleground and bring out the city in the distance through detailing. GO wild on fun shapes in the middleground instead of inventing an entire society to build homes for if you know what I mean. Go with it. :)

TogaMario
05-01-2006, 06:14 PM
With the addition of the ship in the middle/foreground, I was thinking that I could add a stream of small-ship traffic across the middle and background. Some of it would go straight across the back, and others (like the ones in the background, lower to the ground) could be running to the city in the background.

aldog
05-01-2006, 07:08 PM
I think that would definitely help with the industrial feel of it

Runecaster
05-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Wow, this is going to be cool, I can just tell :)

I have one word of advice - and I am a TOTAL n00b so just take it with a grain of salt but... I've found that if you don't set down to drawing until you have a complete 'still frame' concept about what you want in the piece, actually working on it is a lot smoother process and you can just 'get to work' as it were.

But being nebulous and wondering what to put where after you begin can get rather knotty.. anyway, that's just my opinion :D

As far as everything is going so far in this piece, I really like it - I dig these kind of scenes! I will be looking forward to your progress :)

TogaMario
05-02-2006, 02:07 AM
I appreciate the community support so much, I can't even begin to tell you. I'm working on it now, and every fiber of my being wants it to be appealing and (best of all) finished. I'll post another update soonish :D Again, thanks.

TogaMario
05-02-2006, 04:05 AM
http://www.togamario.com/images/Setup6.jpg

Roughing out the elements to fill in the space better. Thoughts?

Also, as a side note, it's hard to get these things to look unison across different systems :( At home, the picture has a bright and crisp contrast on my monitor. At work (on a Mac) the picture is much darker and harder to read.

TogaMario
05-03-2006, 02:41 AM
And an update on the middleground detailing.

http://www.togamario.com/images/Setup7.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
05-03-2006, 02:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.