PDA

View Full Version : Underwater scene lightining problems. Help needed. (with renders)

Bruno Avellar
04-29-2006, 08:28 PM
Hi folks, I'm posting here because I'm having problems with the light setup in my latest underwater animation. I hope to achieve an realistic effect, but I'm having difficulties with volume light and so: please, what should I do?

I've seen some works from other people (like the last attachment) and I'm trying to get as close to them as possible. From this one, I implemented the gradient and the caustics mapping.(you may also notice some particles in suspension, a nice implement to realism, but I 'm having difficulty in making them move really slowly during the animation).

About the volume light, the problem is: when I activate it, from the main direct light (iluminating from above), even if I lower the Density value, it still makes the scene way too bright, like if it was iluminating the objects.

-Some renders and reference pics bellow.

ImUrPeTii
04-30-2006, 04:52 AM
Are you planning a explosion underwater?Not so bad at this moment.A flash with explosion is always brilliant for less than a sec.

Bruno Avellar
04-30-2006, 04:57 PM
yep, I'm producting an animation that includes an underwater explosion. Here is the link for its latest version: http://files.filefront.com/VIIBv2_11rar/;4989624;;/fileinfo.html

robbo59au
05-01-2006, 06:12 AM
Are you trying to render it all at once, or in passes for later comping?

h2o
05-01-2006, 10:53 AM
Which software are u using?

You can render in different passes (Caustic, key, depth, lightfog.....) & comp the elements in post

Bruno Avellar
05-01-2006, 04:58 PM
I'm using 3dsmax 7: could you explain me how could I render those effects in different passes, for then compose them together?

thanks

Bruno Avellar
05-06-2006, 11:56 PM
No comments? Pleeeease! I need to finish my animation, and I need YOU to help me:thumbsup:

Dan Wade
05-09-2006, 01:49 AM
For the volume effect, i would defo do it in a pass. You will have alot more control in post. Also a depth pass will also help merge it into the scene better. Another nice effect would be to have rim lights too, for the explosions behind the ship.

Dan.

Bruno Avellar
05-20-2006, 05:34 PM
For the volume effect, i would defo do it in a pass. You will have alot more control in post. Also a depth pass will also help merge it into the scene better. Another nice effect would be to have rim lights too, for the explosions behind the ship.

Dan.
I agree with you, but I'd like to hear a bit more about these rim lights; how can I implement them in my scene? thanks!

-updates included.

CGTalk Moderation
05-20-2006, 05:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.