PDA

View Full Version : subdividing with ref model

ZenTarzan
04-29-2006, 06:26 PM
okee dokee, so i want to detail some clothes to fit a ridiculously high poly body. i needed the body as reference so i just .obj'ed the whole thing body and cloths, and masked out the body. but when i subdivide the clothing geometry it wont let me step back down in subdivision levels (i wanted to export both the low res and the high res when im done)... is there something im doing wrong, or a different method i should be using?

tin-tin
04-29-2006, 07:02 PM
If you mean individual subdivision, you can't go back down subd level but I maybe wrong though. There is a way around it however.

If you polygrouped everything in zbrush. Then

you can select each group by holding Ctrl Shift together.

Then you just make it a polymesh3d, redraw the polymesh from tools and click edit.
Now you can use reconstruct till you get lower polygons or your original subd level.

I hope this makes sense.

ZenTarzan
04-29-2006, 10:33 PM
it didnt work... that whole block in the geometry tab is greyed out. unless i have all the objects visible then it just gives me an error when i reconstruct.

tin-tin
04-29-2006, 11:56 PM
Sorry maybe I wasn't clear. Your subdviding the clothing on your model which is seperate geometry correct me if I'm wrong. Maskng parts are fine so its not touched by the brush but I think you need to polygroup everything. Heres how its done.

1. Go to Tools>Polygroups, here you will have three options.
just click Auto groups.
2. Ctrl+shift to select a part of a mesh zbrush will hide every other geometry.
Now go tools and click polymesh 3d.
3. start new docment then go to tools select the mesh starting with PM3d_ and draw it on to the canvas and enter edit mode, you should be able to reconstruct it.

I do this all the time it works, the only downside is you can only reconstruct each seperate mesh at a time.

ZenTarzan
04-30-2006, 12:04 AM
no, thats what i did (poly grouping i mean, i never actually masked it, though i tried that too after your post) and it still wouldnt let me reconstruct. it will let me subdivide only the clothing mesh, but it just wont let me step back down (it also subdivides without smoothing, which i dont understand).

CGTalk Moderation
04-30-2006, 12:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.