PDA

View Full Version : Ugly Issue With A Mesh, Biped and Skin Modifier

isdi
04-29-2006, 01:49 PM
Hello,

This is a request for help and / or suggestions.

I'm using Max8. I have recently started using the skin modifier after several people here recommended it (I was using physique before).

The problem I am having is vertex weight related (I think). The two attached images say it much better than I could.

I've been playing with the rigging and I am not sure what else to try. To me, it almost seems like I need to manually configure the weights from the top of the thigh to the top of the buttocks. The idea would be to select a horizontal line of vertices then assign a weight to them. Then, moving up (up in this case being towards the top of the image), select the next row of vertices and assign a weight to them that is slightly less than the previous row. It seems that I would have to do keep doing this until I reached the top of the buttocks.
Does this sound reasonable?

I've looked at some of the tutorials people have listed. It doesn't seem like any of the ones that I have seen go very far beyond the basics. I think I have a decent handle on the invidual tools available, but a poor understanding of how they interact with each other .

I'd appreciate any help or suggestions that will help me solve this issue or understand what I should be doing.

Thanx

-isdi-

marktsang
04-29-2006, 02:06 PM
only use envelopes as a starting point after that if you want accurate clean deformation you will have to weight by vertex - paint the weights on or select verts/loops and use the weight tool to set the weights

isdi
04-29-2006, 04:38 PM
Hola Mark,

That was my first step after moving from physique to the skin modifier. One of the problems with the envelopes was that I could not seem to make irregularly shaped envelopes. It seems like they all need to be capsules.

If I recall correctly, I could not get the left and right thigh envelopes to include all of the figure's buttocks. What I've been working on since has been adjusting the weight of the unaffected vertices trying to get a natural looking deformation.

I'll go back to an earlier version and play with the envelopes a bit more.

-isdi-

PEN
04-29-2006, 07:12 PM
Reduce the size of the inner envelopes to almost 0, this will help your problem.

isdi
05-01-2006, 12:34 AM
Hola,

I used both of the suggestions together and separately. Neither had had a large effect.

Adjusting the envelopes showed me how and where 3DSM would make changes.

I'm not sure what effect adjusting the inner envelope size had. I could see it had an effect, but it was slight.

However, as I expected I would need to do, I took ten 'rows' of vertices and starting with almost no weight, increased each horizontal 'row' of vertices by .1. This had an effect closer to a 'natural' deformation of the buttocks. At least for the back side. Now I have to do the other cheek and the front of the pelvis.

CGTalk Moderation
05-01-2006, 12:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.