PDA

View Full Version : demo reel modelling & animation

jiturokr
04-29-2006, 12:04 PM
link : http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=92524
email id : shrijith@gmail.com

all my works are done in 3ds max , maya , adobe photoshop and editing in premiere
pls check and tell me my mistakes

regareds

shrijith

jearley
04-29-2006, 08:32 PM
hi shrijith.
i like the demo reel over all. i think you are very strong in hard-surface modelling such as the set of headphones. Also, the texturing on the red bag is very nice. the head model has a few errors with anatomy, such as the ear being located too low and far back. the animation needs some work, but overall, pretty good. i think i would suggest changing the intro with the person pushing the names across the screen. i think that section may be too long and doesn't really display your full talent. i would start with a simple text title and go right into the demo reel.
looks pretty good. good luck.
jearley

fanger
04-29-2006, 10:09 PM
hey Surjith,

Had a few problems with your reel, firstly as said above your organic modelling has a lot to be desired.....study faces a bit more...sketch or sculpt...it'll make it easier to model organic surfaces. Secondly ...your animations ...ALL lack weight....theres hardly any anticipation an' rarely any follow throughs....an' the charcter walk cycle is infact missin' atleast 3 kayframes at the end of the cycle. Theres a lot of popin' in your animations....hit the graph editor an' smooth them out. I feel you was in a hurry to finish your demo reel....my advice is, give your best work out...spend time polishin' it.....you gonna be judged as a digital artist based on this work...
Just some friendly advice i learnt the hard way......
cheers

harmonic01
04-30-2006, 08:56 PM
Hey shrijith.

nice reel. I pretty much agree with above two posts.

Intro way too long and it's the same animation the second time around except with different text. I'd get rid of at least the 2nd push and replace that with just plain text.

Modeling is alright. Very nice textures on the suitcase.

I would cut out the animation section, though. I don't want to sound harsh, but the only thing that section demonstrates is obvious lack of animation principles. The biped character kicking a ball in the air is probably the best animation out of the whole reel but it also looks just like an exercise from Jeff Lew DVD which suggests that you probably didn't come up with poses and timing yourself. I'd recommend starting with bouncing balls, get the principles down and then move on to character animations. Get Illusion Of life chapter 3 for a list of principles and Animators Survival Kit is totally awesome book.

Good luck. :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-30-2006, 08:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.