PDA

View Full Version : Render Region in "Perspective" view.

seth0x2b
04-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Hey guys.
I'm new to MEL so I was wondering:
Can I interract with the pespective view(or any other view) in any way from/with MEL?
To make my point clear, an example: I love the Render Region in XSI and Cinema4D, because I can use it "right there" without having another window open etc. I would like to be able to do something like that (after about 1 year of MEL lol).
So, could it be possible, and if so, some reference scripts/ideas are very welcomed.

Cheers

Starrider
04-29-2006, 09:17 PM
i had the same wish when i switched to maya. the only similar thing i know is the camera-button (right near the region render button) in the render view (since maya 7). it copies the current rendercam's viewport image to the renderregion. now you are able to select the parts that you want to render.
but the isn't a real compensation for the xsi-viewport-rendering!

-----
-.--/---/..-/.----./.-././/.-./../--./..../-/--..-//..//.-/--/--..-//-.-.-./-.--.-/

seth0x2b
04-30-2006, 01:13 AM
Yes...that's the screenshot button.It does help alot, but it still doesn't do it for me.. :(
Oh well.I'll start from scratch with MEL and hopefully in a few months I'll have a script(that is...if it's even possible)
I just wanted to know if it's possible before I go on a deadend journey...

Cheers

Bonedaddy
04-30-2006, 04:08 AM
Not really possible. Maybe with the API, but unlikely.

Starrider
04-30-2006, 09:48 AM
i also don't think that this is possible. no way with mel!

seth0x2b
04-30-2006, 01:23 PM
Oh well...I'll accept the compromise. 10x for your interest in my thread

Cheers

wrend
05-03-2006, 03:39 AM
i thought about this a few years ago, and i reckon its half-baked possible w/o too much fuss.

you enter a 'render region mode' (was it 'q' on XSI?), which mounts a nurbs plane onto the camera, made live, and drops you into curve creation context ...you dump down the two corner extents of your render region as EPs/CVs (these [and the resultant curve] can be hidden, and you draw a guide region as a linear rectangle curve), you query these extents on the plane and transform them into the camera's screen space, and thence to the Render comand, gather the output file and plop it onto the plane (maybe the region should be another plane so you dont have to worry about fitting) ... this misses out on render progress action though, unless you can get access to the file as it Renders (like fcheck does?).

alternatively, have decent panel swapping hotkeys ... so you can easily toggle your modeling port to and from render panel (so you dont have to have additional pannels, floating windows) ..maybe have it such that when you flip to render panel it takes a 'snap shot' on the way (maybe an extra modifier in for this hotkey, otherwise the moderfiier-less one just flops between).

c.

stallion151
05-03-2006, 04:44 AM
nice suggestion there wrend...very intriguing. maybe some wizz here will contemplate doing soemthing like it.

sunit
05-03-2006, 10:25 AM
both maya and mentalray accept render region arguments, so you can create your own render command, based on screen space coordinates that you retrieve from the world space points:

http://www.185vfx.com/maya.html

there's also an explanation by brian ewert here:

http://www.ewertb.com/maya/mel/mel.php?howto=87

using a constrained plane is a possible user interface - you can also constrain the axis pointing along the camera's aim vector, and make the interaction a bit easier as well.

you'll need to dig around into alias' internal scripts for renderView panel stuff - there's a few ways they maintain and index the viewed framebuffers and force the updates, but it's pretty straightforward.

if you look around these alias render scripts, you'll see that you can relatively easily incorporate your own custom functions in the renderView panel - just know that only one instance of this panel is allowed to exist on screen at one time.

there's also some (seemingly) hokey methods that alias approximates the screen space coordinates into its on-screen render framebuffer, and you'll need to incorporate these methods into whatever render-region command you create.

as for rendering to an image that's mapped on an textured plane...hmm - interesting idea.

-sunit

CGTalk Moderation
05-03-2006, 10:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.