PDA

View Full Version : Hexagon+EIAS users?

manuel
04-28-2006, 03:36 PM
Okay, now that DAZ has decided to virtually give Hexagon 2 away for free, I just wanted to hear from some of you how well Hexagon so far has worked with EIAS. How easy is it to get usable geometry from Hexagon to EIAS? How stable was it? I realise that most experience probably comes from working with version 1, but it still would be helpful to hear about it.

barnabythebear
04-28-2006, 06:56 PM
Hi manuel,,

Check this thread:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=348344

I must admit that although I have problems with viewing .obj from Hex via Transporter I still like to use the app. I now take the obj through Silo. It has a deep toolset, and a fairly userfriendly GUI. It can be a bit buggy at times - it has quit on me but only 1/2 a dozen times or so. It's my favorite ploy modeler after Lightwave. V2 looks really cool, and for $32 it's a no-brainer. If you have specific questions i'd be happy to answer.

ta

nige.

manuel
04-28-2006, 07:16 PM
Well, the main question is, can you get models from Hex into EIAS? Your post seems to suggest that outputting it from Hex as an OBJ and running it through Silo gives you a usable result. I guess you can export from Silo as a FACT then?
I did play around with the Modo demo a few weeks ago and noticed that the OBJ that came out of it only contained one group. So even a model that contained three separate parts would come into EIAS as one group. Not too sure why. Is this also the case for Hexagon?

barnabythebear
04-28-2006, 07:25 PM
Hiya,

Yes, individual items in Hex stay that way, though any names are lost in Silo. Names are kept via Transporter though.

ta

nige.

manuel
04-28-2006, 08:02 PM
But the results coming out of transporter are a bit hit-and-miss? Right?

barnabythebear
04-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Hi,

Yes for me in that animator will not display them once textured. They do render fine however and I have had no problems with bad geometry.

ta

nige.

manuel
04-28-2006, 08:48 PM
Downloading Hex2 right now. Something to keep me busy this bank-holiday :) Please let it rain

Vizfizz
04-28-2006, 10:40 PM
Let me know what the general opinion is on this program. It would be interesting to hear someone give a good comparison between Silo and Hex.

bradfilms
05-01-2006, 11:37 AM
Hi Manuel

Well, I couldn't miss a offer like that... and so I bought Hexagon this morning.

I have to say that I have really enjoyed playing around with this application and picked it up very fast compared to all the other demos I have been trying recently.

The interface is so much better than Silo and there seems to be loads of the tools that I love in Modeler here as well - skin, shell, good line drawing tools all with numerical import http://forums.cgsociety.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=3498020#- It feels far more a general modelling application than just a ssd application as I had first thought - which is great.

It hasn't crashed on me - but it does feel to be a little buggy - many of the import panels get messed up, but when you refresh the screen it seems to sort it out. Also, as it has been said, I am not sure how well it will work with EI (the real make or break for this application in my mind). The simple test I did caused problems when I imported it into EI. But maybe there is something I can do in transporter to sort that out. I would love to hear if any one has had success with importing Hex obj files.

My main concern is that the application seems to be in limbo. With Modeler now no more I really love to find a new application that is going to be around for a good few years and it is backed by a company that is really willing to sort out the bugs and keep improving it. A company like Nevercenter!

Well the sun has come out on this bank holiday so I think I give it a rest.

Cheers

Robert

halfworld
05-02-2006, 12:29 PM
I've had dozens of models from Hex to EIAS via transporter with no problems at all...

I can't remember weather I got given OBJ exports or 3DS though, probably the latter...
Ian

manuel
05-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Well, here are my experiences so far, keep in mind that I was mainly interested in playing with the texturing tools:

1. How this version got past Beta stage and became a final release is beyond me. It is reasonably stable, but the interface is very buggy and the brushes don't even get close to being usable on my Mac. Within an hour or two, I managed to find at least one repeatable bug.
2. It feels a bit more finished than Silo 1.4, but less robust than Modo. To be fair, I really should be comparing it to Silo 2 and Modo 201, so take this with a pinch of salt.
3. It doesn't just do poly-modelling. It has line drawing tools and plenty of ways to derive surfaces from these lines. All these can be kept "live" so changing the original Bezier will change the derived shell. I haven't played too much with it, but I don't think it's a complete replacement for a dedicated NURBS modeller. Still, it's a nice addition.
4. The brush tool is just that. A brush tool. There is no eraser-tool, colour-picker, smudge, blur, lighten, darken-brush, clone-brush, layers, common filters like blur, sharpen, colour-correction tools. Nothing like that. Individual brush-strokes are not recorded in the undo stack, all your brushstrokes are regarded as a single event, probably until you click the apply button.
5. I haven't had good results coming out of the UV tools. Part of that is to blame on my inexperience, but I'm pretty sure Hexagon isn't helping too much either. I remember from playing around with Bodypaint that things can be a bit more fluid.

sacslacker
05-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Well for 32 bucks, I picked it up too. I wanted to play with the displacement painting and the painting tools in general. What I've found is - they are buggier than all hell. Now, I have a NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 and it's my understanding that the current drivers have issues with the newer applications that use VBO's (whatever those are). So I found a way to disable VBO's inside of Hex which resolved a few of my problems. Still, very buggy.

Unfortunately I didn't really need another modeler since I own Silo, ZBrush and Modo but for 32 dollars I was willing to eat the money. However, the modeling seems to be where this app shines. It's pretty slick. The only knock I would have is it feels like I'm modeling in a cave, it's a claustrophobic interface (hope that makes sense).

My brief summary:

Modeling Department:
Killer, seems to be a very strong modeler.

Texture Painting Department:
Buggy as all get out, could be my video card, still not even close to ZBrush. Seems more like a gimmick at this point. Lots of weird artifacts and poor Open GL preview.

Stability:
Used it for 2 hours, modeled a simple lighthouse, seems pretty stable.

Worth $32 Department:
Oh heck yeah!

manuel
05-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Oh, and I forgot to mention the poor documentation and tutorials. Unless you like manuals that read like they were written by inspector Clouseau, not to mention the voice-over on the videos which was probably done by his daughter. Mind you, it's quite cute, that French accent of her.

Reuben5150
05-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Its not running very well on my PC and i have a good system, general slowdowns when not really doing anything specific.

R

CGTalk Moderation
05-03-2006, 10:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.