PDA

View Full Version : WIP: my very first matte attempt

micrypt
04-28-2006, 12:30 AM
Couldn't resist taking a crack at matte painting, started and wow!, I'm as clueless as can be . :banghead: Here's how far i got in about 25 mins. Any tips would be helpful.

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/65/testcastle5mv.jpg

ps: what exactly is blending and how is it done? :)

gawain
04-28-2006, 09:14 AM
Edinburgh castle isn't it?
I like it; maybe the skies are too different to match.
Why not to take a third sky as a common background and adjust lightness for the foreground (castle, wood, road) levels?
Very good start anyway!
G.

psycho_matic
04-28-2006, 11:30 AM
Hi,

hope I can help you:

1.)Change the sky
2.) More contrast for the castle (with Levels as said or curves)
3.) Check the lightness of the graveyards
4.) The trees in the upper left corner, you see that thin white line on the outside?
Here you can use the "color replacement tool"... But otherwise... cool start, I had more problems with my first matte painting :)

JJASSO
04-29-2006, 12:30 AM
welcome micrypt , this is a nice approach to be your first matte painting, I agree with psycho_matic and gawain, you sky is not well integrated to the whole scene, it is too much color saturated, and its levels are so high , it looks a little weird cause you can see where you tried to blend to different skies with two different clouds typewhen working in a matte painting try not to run with time, you did this in 25 minutes how would it be if you would have taken more time for more level of detail, be patient, I know we all want to see final results even from sketching , but good works always take time, think, analyze, and you will see an improvement
( I may sound like a jedi master hehe but it's true ):thumbsup:

Dile
04-29-2006, 09:17 PM
haha, cool sky ;)
well, yeah the biggest problem already been said..
but I would like to add Very NICE to be your first!
way better than my first :}
( I wont show it to you, since that
will lowering the value of the word Matte Painting )

micrypt
05-01-2006, 12:14 AM
thanks everyone, been hectic since my last post. haven't had time to work further. I agree about the sky. Will be updating soon. thanks again. You guys are way cool :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
05-01-2006, 12:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.