PDA

View Full Version : animated displacement and bump (3dsmax)

virtualmesh
04-27-2006, 09:15 PM
this post is related to the use of zBrush displacement/bump maps to rigging characters within 3dsmax. it may have been discussed elsewhere.

I recently purchased zBrush from pixologic and have been having a ball of a time sculpting displacement details throughout my character's 'low-poly' mesh.

So far, I've been setting extreme poses to my character via the skin modifier within 3dsmax, then bringing the posed character into zBrush to sculpt further details based on the pose. Then exporting the displacement and cavity maps for that pose.

I'm wondering if anyone has found a solid way of linking their displacement maps with the joint angle of their riggs and if so, how do they do this ?

Example would be when the character crouches into a 'ball' pose, ease into displacement and cavity/bump maps 'crouch', or when character's arms reach forward ease into displacement and cavity/bump maps 'armForward', and so on.

I guess it would be the same as rigging from one morph target to the next but how is this done with animated displacement/bump maps? Is it as simple as it sounds?

_stev_
04-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Try this. Make the displacement texture a "Mix" and input the maps you want to blend between. In the curve editor, navigate to your material and under the "Mix" you created, apply a "Float Expression" controller. In that expression you can use the bone rotation to drive the blend between maps.

Stev

JakeJK
04-28-2006, 07:01 PM
Nice thread. I have been wondering about the same thing lately! especially after I saw the animation of Faustos pig at hes site http://www.fausto3d.com/ Wicket stuff!
Maybe we could get him to post some tips :)?

Hey Stev, that sounds like that could do the job when deforming elbows, knees and such one way bends. but what if you got multiple displacement maps for a place in like the face?

_stev_
04-28-2006, 07:30 PM
but what if you got multiple displacement maps for a place in like the face?

This could complicate things quickly depending on how many maps we're talking, but off the top of my head, I'm thinking perhaps you could continue to layer things by pluging Mix into each Mix slot, giving you four Maps to work with. But this would make blending between them a lot trickier than manipulating one Mix Amount.

Stev

virtualmesh
04-28-2006, 08:58 PM
I purchased a plugin last year named Morph O Matic which came with a morph texture.
I figure I could use that but I was hoping to figure out a solution to this without the use of any external plugins.

_stev_
04-28-2006, 09:52 PM
Here's a quick sample of what I'm thinking. Open the Material editor and move the control around. It blends between four colors, one for each corner.

Stev

JakeJK
04-28-2006, 11:13 PM
Hi Stev, Nice little thingy you got going on... the problem is that I can't get a mix of the two colors in the opposite corners without also mixing the two other colors.. I guess you need 4 controllers then to be able to blend it all as you like. one for turning the color on and off.

Thanks for your help Stev! I appreciate it!

CGTalk Moderation
04-28-2006, 11:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.