PDA

View Full Version : Maxwell for Mac posted

jackb602
04-27-2006, 08:13 PM
Have a look at the download site, but get ready to wait. My download will be done in just 4 hours!

Jack

sketchbook
04-27-2006, 09:36 PM
hmm.

if only it were fast enough to use.

hey renderking guy, you going to have this on your service?

ChristianZ
04-27-2006, 10:48 PM
Bah, my download just stopped in the middle, will try again over the weekend....

dann_stubbs
04-27-2006, 10:53 PM
hmm.

if only it were fast enough to use.

hey renderking guy, you going to have this on your service?

yup and will have 12 processors of it to start - i'm downloading now and am sort anxious to see how it works now...

dann

SRCobb
04-28-2006, 03:31 AM
I've tried to download 6 times now. Every time it stops short. waaaay short. waaay slow.

SRCobb
04-28-2006, 03:40 AM
make that 8 times...
anybody else having this problem?

TonyL
04-28-2006, 05:25 AM
It must be because I'm getting older, but I'm less tolerant than I was. I've asked Next Limit to drop the Mac OSX file onto a CD and send it in the post, with me paying for the postage.

A server that can only manage an average of 5.3Kb/sec for a 46.5Mb file (and bombs out after only 7Mb) is NOT the way to deliver a product.

If we treated our clients the way that Next Limit has treated us, we would be queueing up at the Job Exchange!

Which reminds me, whatever happened to Final Render 2 for Mac OSX?

TL

ooo
04-28-2006, 08:40 AM
Which reminds me, whatever happened to Final Render 2 for Mac OSX?

TL

There was finally some news a few days ago. Still no clue when and what to expect but at least they're still working on it...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=348202

TonyL
04-28-2006, 09:21 AM
Yes, I saw that. But there really is no more information in that post than there was in the previous one. It doesn't qualify as a "progress report".

I forget, was it four or five weeks ago that Cebas said that they are "taking out the Windows executables"? With heavily commented code (the preferred method) it should be a matter of hours to find platform-dependant code and remove it. Assuming that you have the staffing levels, you could even have someone else working on the Mac-specific code to "drop in". OK, I know that that is a gross oversimplification, but you know what I mean.

Cebas, I would guess, have more troubles than they would ever tell us about. Perhaps a high staff turnover? Cash-flow problems perhaps (admittedly, it's not easy to fund development when it will take some time before the returns start coming in)? And, of course, they are working on code for other platforms.

Does the mention of Intel mean that there will even more delay whilst they rework the code again?

A meaningful report on progress (or expected delay) would go down better. Surely they must be in a position to see the final date by now?

TL

sunmade
04-28-2006, 09:42 AM
ok, now I start to enjoy it afterall...

nomen est omen ;)

avocade
04-29-2006, 03:17 PM
How's the downloads and tests going? Looking forward to trying this with SketchUp on my Powerbook (yeah, the rendering times...). Are all the plugs included in the price or are they per-app add-ons?

How's the performance on the "emixer" stuff on Mac? Also, is there a MacIntel version from the start?

CGTalk Moderation
04-29-2006, 03:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.