PDA

View Full Version : Making Wide Angle pics in PS, how?

flengbang
04-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Cant find any tutorial out there off making a normal picture into a wide angle one, unless it really cannot be done..?

If it can, how do you go about doing it?

dbates
04-28-2006, 01:12 AM
Huh? You mean by cropping it?

You can't go back and add more pixels after you've taken the shot.

Taltos
04-28-2006, 08:54 AM
pls clarify. do you maybe mean stitching multiple photos together, then "panorama" ist the term you look for.
or do you mean the distortion normally introduced by wide-angle lenses (extreme example "fisheye")?
for the former, search for panorama and/or stitching tools.
in the latter case, you could play around with the distortion filters in photoshop, but i am not sure if this will yield good results.

flengbang
04-29-2006, 07:11 AM
yeah the distortion of the fish eye sense, thanks anyway for the help.

IZZE
05-01-2006, 06:20 PM
After mulling this over. I think that this is physically impossible to acomplish with PS. A wide angle lense will capture 180 degrees horz and vert. you would have to take at least 5 different shots with a normal lense to get the same amount of data. then how would PS line each photo up?

All you can do is Spherize a image to get a sort of wide angle lense shot

edit:
You could maybe take 5 shots of a room (top,bottom,left,right,back) then map them on the inside of a cube in a 3d program then render that out as a 2d image and then apply the spherize filter in PS.

I dont know. its twisting my brain.

Neil
05-01-2006, 08:08 PM
isn't there an 'eye candy' effect for this?

IZZE
05-01-2006, 09:38 PM
Here is a link to a fisheye to rectilinear conversion process.

http://www.photo.net/learn/fisheye/

During the conversion areas outside of the frame are cropped to produce a flat image. If you would reverse this process, it shows that you do not have enough of a "scene" to create the effect. you are missing about 20 degrees of view from your original shot.

Again, I think this cannot be done with PhotoShop.

jetjaguar
05-12-2006, 06:17 PM
the key is squishing 180 degrees of info into your image.take enough photos to capture all of your shot. then stich them togeter using photomerge. then use sphereify ,pinch or warp to distort it.

IZZE
05-13-2006, 01:48 PM
If you had a wide angle lense, and took a picture, you would capture the ceiling and the floor right? So if you were going to fake a wide angle lense shot you would be holding the camera UP to shoot the ceiling, then point it DOWN to shoot the floor, then hold it RIGHT to shoot the wall and hold it LEFT to shoot the other wall, then hold it STRAIGHT for the final shot. Now stitch those together.

Show me the money.

CGTalk Moderation
05-13-2006, 01:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.