PDA

View Full Version : weighting on cluster ignored- help?

sabathyus
04-27-2006, 07:16 AM
Riddle me this: my Painted cluster weights don't respond properly.
I have polygon geometry with a cluster attached to several vertex with the cluster weights smoothed to get a nice dropoff. So, as I move the cluster I get a nice smooth shape bulging out of the geometry.
But then I need to parent the cluster a locator and translate the locator.... in doing so my vertices from the cluster move BUT they no longer have the smooth dropoff. the verticies move as if all the weighting was at full strength. How do I get that dropoff back? :scream: Nope, the answer isn't check the RELATIVE box.
Any help would really be nice.

isoparmB
04-27-2006, 09:05 AM
That is weird. I tried it out myself, I'm getting the same reation. Never encountered it before.......

To get around it for the meantime, I suggest you constrain the cluster to the locator itself, with a point and orient, or a parent constraint, and keep your cluster either in worldspace or a non-transforming node.

Weeeeeeirrrrrd........

john_homer
04-27-2006, 11:56 AM
this is a bug, has always been there.
weighted clusters dont handle being transformed by parents.

either constrain the cluster (rather than parenting it) or use joints instead.

.j

michaelcomet
04-27-2006, 04:02 PM
Yeah I think lattices also have odd weight problems like this too where sometimes the weights will revert to 1 etc..etc... ah well.
My advice, use a skin cluster and joints or write your own deformer that works...

comet

CGTalk Moderation
04-27-2006, 04:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.