PDA

View Full Version : Image Plane in Zbrush?

comic-craig
04-27-2006, 03:09 AM
I have heard- in hushed breath- in secretive dives.... Zbrush has an image plane setup (similiar to Maya). Now- I will first mention that I do like working without the tracing of an image plane, but sometimes you just have to satisfy a client with an exact profile. Usually I will just model in a seperate application then bring that into Zbrush.... but an image plane would be nice.

vfxbaby
04-27-2006, 03:22 AM
one technique that I know of is placing your reference in another layer. dont quote me on the steps but here goes.

1. go to the layers menu and create a new layer
2. make sure the new layer is selected. the top most layer is the layer on the left.
3. go to the texture menu. get your reference pic
4. do a crop and fill. now you will see the pic on the canvas.
5. go back to the layer menu. select the left most layer (top). you wont see ur ref pic anymore because u are now on the top layer.
6. look at the top left layer icon it will have a triangle on the left corner. this means the layer is active.
7. to make the bottom layer visible just select shift click the top left of the reference layer. this will enable you to see the bottome layer.
8. click the middle of the top layer to make sure its active and paint.

as I said dont qoute me on this word for word but it pretty close to the method I know. I m sure since its zbrush, there is a million ways to do this.

hope this helps.

comic-craig
04-27-2006, 03:36 AM
Okay- I'll try that. Unless I'm wrong- I'm guessing the ref layer does not match scale/movement changes on the model? This is the problem I run into- I rotate/translate/scale the model as if it were a perspective camera- then I go back to refer to a ref layer... but since there is no "side" view or "front" view- the layer that contains my reference image no longer relates to the size of my art work.

DaedraLord
04-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Okay- I'll try that. Unless I'm wrong- I'm guessing the ref layer does not match scale/movement changes on the model? This is the problem I run into- I rotate/translate/scale the model as if it were a perspective camera- then I go back to refer to a ref layer... but since there is no "side" view or "front" view- the layer that contains my reference image no longer relates to the size of my art work.
have the second veiw in as different layer and switch layers when you switch to side veiw.

you could also do the base mesh in another program using 3d space image planes, and import to zbrush for awesome-izing

comic-craig
04-27-2006, 08:41 PM
have the second veiw in as different layer and switch layers when you switch to side veiw.

you could also do the base mesh in another program using 3d space image planes, and import to zbrush for awesome-izing

Hmmm- Actually, my point is there is no "side view" in Zbrush.... or is there? I rotate- reposition geometry, therefore it is in constant flux. I understand I can create a front and side view reference layer... but I don't understand how I can have them remain fixed to the current size, position of my model. Hopefully I've made a huge error in my thinking, and you have some ability to explain- but currently I'm doing as you suggested in the second part and starting my models in Maya.

Craig

DaedraLord
04-27-2006, 10:58 PM
Hmmm- Actually, my point is there is no "side view" in Zbrush.... or is there? I rotate- reposition geometry, therefore it is in constant flux. I understand I can create a front and side view reference layer... but I don't understand how I can have them remain fixed to the current size, position of my model. Hopefully I've made a huge error in my thinking, and you have some ability to explain- but currently I'm doing as you suggested in the second part and starting my models in Maya.

Craig
hold shift while rotating and it will "snap" to the axis

ryankingslien
04-28-2006, 12:10 AM
Also, check out this:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=27131

and this:

http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=26585

:)

ryan

comic-craig
04-28-2006, 01:54 AM
hold shift while rotating and it will "snap" to the axis

Thanks for the ideas. Actually- I wasn't worried about rotation snapping. I'm saying that the size might change and position might change too. Sorry for miscommunicating and not making myself clear:

"I don't understand how I can have them remain fixed to the current size, position of my model"

Thank you for helping.

ryankingslien- This looks like what I'm talking about. I'll check it out. Thanks.

I just had a thought- since my issue is to have refeerence that travels with my model- I could import my obj with the ref planes as part of the tool... mask out the planes... pretexture them in another program.... and have images that travel with my tool. Has anyone tried this? I'm guessing the second link ryankingslien will do the job anyways. I just can't stand having ref images that constantly have to be realligned.

Fifth_miracle
04-29-2006, 12:06 AM
Hi,

In answer to your question you can load images into a seperate layer to use as reference, but there is an excellet free plugin (http://206.145.80.239/zbc/showthread.php?t=26585) at ZB central call Reference Image. You should definitely check out the utilites forum if you have not done so already. I can think of at least 20 vital extension to the program, that I couldn't live without.

comic-craig
04-29-2006, 12:37 AM
thank you- I'll check it out.

Craig

CGTalk Moderation
04-29-2006, 12:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.