PDA

View Full Version : 3ds max Muslce Rig video

xsinick
04-26-2006, 10:05 PM
http://www.nickmind.com/tutorials/tutorials/max/maxmusclerig.wmv

It here! post your feedback on it!

virtualmesh
04-27-2006, 12:59 PM
that's a neat solution you made...thanks for the suggestions.
I would have used the align tool to center your dummy and gizmo within your vtm - much easier and quicker. The modifier stack is quite long considering the effect your getting on a single muscle buldge.

I would try to stay away from using Reaction controllers, instead use a scripted if then do this else if then do this else statement(s) based on different values derived from the rotation of the elbow joint. I've found incorporating the push modifier above a soft selection generally gives a good transition from relaxed state to flexed state, muscles don't tend to visually stretch beyond their relaxed state under the skin, unless one is very close to the muscle within their rendered frame.

One could also use stretchy bones within their skeleton rig via the skin modifier.

bigguns
04-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Dude, thank you very much for that!! That will help me a lot! If you have time, can you do one that is showing: expose transform,wire parameter,orientation constraint, this could help me a lot to know how to manage with these tools in the rigging of character.

by the way, in 3dsmax

I have done, but with simple set up with the biped, I linked strech bones to the biped to help deformation: http://img90.imageshack.us/my.php?image=montageskinningarnold2qp.jpg

It gave me a great rig, but it can be better if I know more about rigging. I'd like to add an extra bone for the ass link to the hips, but moving about 2 times less than the legs move.. and I don't know how to do that kind of things. If you have time to do an other one tutorial with the idea I mention.. I will be very glad

Thank's again and great tutorial!

xsinick
04-27-2006, 02:42 PM
bigguns (member.php?u=30534) very cool arnold rig I've seen him with muscle too very impressive strechy bone not good because you can not sculpt the muscles like the way you can with mine. you can not add jiggle to it I also have a super easy method of doing bone muscle that is half the setup of strechy bones stay tuned and thanks for the feedback.

Oh yeah I love when a package could work with out plugins and scripting to get base functions.

virtualmesh
04-27-2006, 02:44 PM
bigguns,
Your snap shot of that rig and how your mesh is deforming looks very solid.

I've found out that unless you are up very close to the character's skin (not 3dsmax skin) but the character's mesh then sub-surface deformation from a muscle will not show up in natural humanoid motion. If the animation was slowed down a great deal then muscular sub-surface deformation may get noticed by the trained eye. Keep your rig simple and don't over-complex it, animation should be enjoyable and not an endless effort for perfection. if you have a clothed character then one does not require the extra overhead (muscular sub-surface deformation) on parts of the body that are not in frame.

In the end, the frame that is rendered is what will be seen. Not many film makers direct their camera up very close to a part of the body that would convey sub-surface movement. The only frames I've seen do this is where a film maker wants to show off their skills in hopes to say "look what I can do"...it does not add anything to the overall story telling of the scene. If the frame is up close for that intention (to show it off), then that may put viewers off track from what the scene is doing.

Reminds me of the episode of the Simpsons where Bart and Lisa walk into George Lucas' cg studio and mention that cg technical merit does not add anything to the story concept that is being told through the animation.

PEN
04-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Luc: That is looking great. Most of the muscle work I do it just with stretchy bones as you can get alot for very little effort. Have a look at a couple of the technical docs I have just added to my site on the three characters that I did for the release of Max 8 at http://paulneale.com, I also have an Arnold rig up there that never was completed as I had to move onto other projects.

xsinick: I have done many setups like this and although they look really cool they are not always the best method for dealing with mucles in a production setting. Skin Wrapping to muscle setups like that provides some results that you can't get with skin and bones but it can be very hard to get a final deforming mesh look really good. Also speed of calculation goes way up. Have you tried wrapping a mesh to it?

bigguns
04-28-2006, 05:37 AM
Thank's all!

XSINICK: Thank's man! I'm impatient to see your setup of strechy bones :D
I will give a try to the first tutorial to.

Paul: I already see the rig you did for an other arnold.. and I found it awesome! But I'm not a rigger at all, I'm a modeler, for the moment I can't do that, so I kept it simple but effectvie. I'm really curious to see how it deform on the arnold(a skinned version) if you have one please let me see!

How long does it take to you for doing a complete rig from scrath?

Thank you!

virtualmesh: Ill take care about that you say. Thank's.

Here is some test scanline render just to see better than in the viewport, we can see more the details.

http://img109.imageshack.us/my.php?image=montagearnold0az.jpg

http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=montagearnoldskinningcopy8md.jpg

A pic of my rigging to: http://img161.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rigsetup5mm.jpg

PEN
04-28-2006, 03:45 PM
I never completed the arnold rig, it was just a test bed that I never had time to complete.

Depends what you mean by complete a rig, is this a fully skinned character or just the rig. most of my rigging is scripted so that takes no time at all, it is placing the muscle bone, skinning, skin morphing and other tasks that take some time and that all depends on the character, a day to a week or more.

CGTalk Moderation
04-28-2006, 03:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.