PDA

View Full Version : Dark girl - practice

howlinghorse
04-26-2006, 08:36 PM
I'm not much of a human drawer, as in, I don't do it often, so, I need to practice, and this is just a kind of exercise type thing! I want to do a lot more with it, but critique would be really amazing if you could. A lot of it is iffy, but I'm not sure what the best way to go is. It's photoshop.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/ceinwah/darkgirl2.jpg

ThePhotographer
04-26-2006, 09:57 PM
I find that it looks very good so far, but would like to see the rest of her body until her toes !

But nice, and I like the brush you used - which one was it ?

daydreameroperter
04-26-2006, 10:25 PM
i like it. i like how you built value in it. Id try some smaller brushes for more detail in areas like the hair. Otherwise it fades into the background. It still feels very 2-d. try different ways to make your drawing "pop" from the background.

howlinghorse
04-26-2006, 11:46 PM
ThePhotographer - thanks! it was the topmost brush in Photoshop, just the normal round one, but with a low-ish opacity. I might add a long skirt - I'm not sure yet.

daydreameroperter - thanks for your advice, that's very helpful. I agree, it seems pretty flat at the moment. I'll work on popping her out a bit, hehe.

howlinghorse
04-28-2006, 07:56 AM
I found some time to work on this a bit more last night...

Haven't done much, just added some details. Critique would be appreciated so much! I am very noobish at drawing people.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/ceinwah/darkgirl3.jpg

Runecaster
04-28-2006, 12:13 PM
This looks good HH - I like her expression. Are you using a tablet? I've found that setting 'Other Settings' to Opacity Jitter to pen pressure really helps those hardhard lines from the standard hardround brush from PS.

It maybe a teesy bit needs some light on the shadowed part of her face, so we can at least make out the general contour, because right now it has the small kind of feeling of being just half a face, right heavy. Anyway, that would be my only crit at the moment. Looking good!

daydreameroperter
04-28-2006, 04:23 PM
it's looking really good, maybe consider bringing that white gradient closer to her to make her contour line stronger. also try to imagine where certain shadows should be, ie. in between the breasts, a shadow on her left side of her face from her hair.

also, check out this site for inspiration, this guy is amazing, and has a similiar style to yours.

http://www.goodbrush.com/

jmBoekestein
04-28-2006, 04:58 PM
3 things jump out too me at once. The length of her nose, allthough not unreasonable, it's generally not considered the most attractive. But hey, could be taste :).
The length of her forehead and the height in general of her skullcap, ie. the brainpan/noggin' wallnut whatever, I would lengthen the forehead and also increase the height at the back.

Third, but after adjusting the latter it might not seem so anylonger, her eye seems to be somewhat high up. Not a lot but it look s abit off.

On a more positive note, I really love the play of light here, it's very intense. Like LM said, you could add more to the left to balance it out. Maybe go for very dark tones to only carve out a silhouette. Very nice design on ehr clothes as well! :thumbsup: Keep it up. It's going to be very interesting!

howlinghorse
05-09-2006, 09:29 AM
Thank youuu for the comments, it was extremely helpful! I agree her eye is/was too high up and her nose too long. Unfortunately as I am a bit of a horse-drawing fanatic all my humans end up with overlong faces. I will really have to watch that...

This is what I've got right now - and its as finished as I think I'm able to make it at the moment, but please if anyone has any ideas as to things I could improve/change or mistakes I've made, or things that don't work I'd be really interested to hear it.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/ceinwah/6c837109.jpg

daydreameroperter
05-09-2006, 01:40 PM
far more intense. A great improvement from the first post. I think you're nearing that bitter sweet time in a project when you've done all you can, and must now abandon your piece of art for your next concept, keeping in mind what you've found. Remember facial proportions, and be sure to pay close attention to the curve of your lines. like the curve on her left breast from the garment, that looks as though it was drawn with a rather unsteady hand. Anyways, can't wait to see what else you think up. peace and love.:)

circumlocutious
05-09-2006, 02:25 PM
very good start, but I think her neck is detracting from this piece. It's very flat right now. Try shading it as a cylinder...

cuddlesmcsavage
05-09-2006, 04:41 PM
i really like your technique, the details are nice, but i feel her eye is too big for her face. it throws it out of balance.

CGTalk Moderation
05-09-2006, 04:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.