PDA

View Full Version : Need some help rigging a game character in max7

drizzo36
04-26-2006, 09:34 PM
Hi,

I recently switched to Max from Maya for a full time job and need to make some game characters and rig them using the physique modifier (we have some old characters and animations I am trying to keep). I think they were animated using motion capture and then some facial animations were added by hand adding some extra bones. I would like to add even more facial controls (for the eyebrows and mouth corners) and bones but when I try to add them the links all have the same names so I can't assign weights to the vertices very easily since I don't know which ones are which.

Does anyone know how to edit the names of the links in physique once they are created?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also any links to tuts on this stuff would be greatly appreciated. I have been going through some of the other posts but haven't found anything particularly helpful.

Thanks,

Eric

Illusion-shadow
04-27-2006, 12:35 AM
I think you should just throw away the physique modifier. The new skin modifier work far better than the physique. The skin modifier is much easier to use than the current physique modifier, I don't think they update the physique modifier since version 4. And now with the skin modifier in Max 7 or 8, you can paint weight and have better control on the weighting. I understand that the old character was skin in physique, but you would save yourself a lot more time re-skinning them using the skin modifier. Trust me, and you probably will get better result.

By the way, if you want to add bone, I think you will have to reinitialize the character.

drizzo36
04-27-2006, 02:54 AM
I will definitely give the skin modifier a try. I think that will be much closer to what I am used to anyway from Maya.

stewartjones
04-27-2006, 08:36 AM
I will definitely give the skin modifier a try. I think that will be much closer to what I am used to anyway from Maya.

Yep, it's a lot closer to Maya, and has some nice features to boot. You should be able to find out the names of the joints/various objects by simply clicking on them and looking in the errr... thing that's like the channel box! :) I'm used to Maya but have to work in Max for work too! It's a little strange at first, but it won't take you long to pick it up I'm sure!

drizzo36
04-27-2006, 03:31 PM
Well I've been giving the skin modifier a try and it seems like there is still a big learning curve with that as well. We're using the Biped skeleton and all I really need to do is add four more facial controls to the biped rig and then I would be just fine using the physique rigging setup. The rest of the body is already rigged with the physique modifier.

If anyone knows how to add bones to the biped please let me know.

thomaspecht
04-30-2006, 12:42 AM
question: is the physique modifier absolutley necessary for export into the game? or do you simply use it to keep the existing skinning?
if the answer is the latter, then it should be simple. physique is an old dog and does not allow to add any additional influences after the modifier has been initialized (or let's say: it's possible somehow but a hack and most often breaks).

but, there's a workaround: bring your biped into figure mode (bind pose), select the skinned mesh, go to utilities panel and choose the "skinning conversion tool" (maybe you'll have to pick it from the more...-list). convert your existing physique skinning into skin modifier and add the new bones from there, adjust envelope, place weights manually, etc. done.

and you can of course simply link bones or dummies/point helpers (like maya locators) to the biped head.

CGTalk Moderation
04-30-2006, 12:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.