PDA

View Full Version : Net question--quitting clients remotely

JoelOtron
04-26-2006, 05:19 PM
I am running NET server from a Mac and rendering to PC clients.

I have need at times to take clients offline so others can render on those boxes.
Is there a way to remotely quit and restart clients as needed--from the mac server (which is my local workstation mac)?

I have virtual PC if that helps.

TIA

dann_stubbs
04-26-2006, 06:26 PM
I am running NET server from a Mac and rendering to PC clients.

I have need at times to take clients offline so others can render on those boxes.
Is there a way to remotely quit and restart clients as needed--from the mac server (which is my local workstation mac)?

I have virtual PC if that helps.

nope - you can restart them in 9.5 on but no shutdown. you'd could just use RDC to log in remotely to the PC's and manually shut them down.

actually with the new command line ability of NET you can use other render managers to run .c4d jobs which may allow you some flexibility that the NET Server doesn't such as save to paths on different volumes etc (thought of that this morning)

i've thought of the ability to shut down being implemented in the NET Server since it should be the same as the existing restart command but not sure if really anybodywould need that enough to justify - plus it still would need a manual restart so adds a bit more manual input again...

i wouldn't mind a little on/off bullet on the NET client page by the individual NET client restart button that would allow stopping and starting a NET client's running... sometimes that would be pretty handy and accomplish what you are asking for.

i wonder if there is a way that a client can be put on hold - so that it stays running (i.e. connected to NET Server) but not shut down (which then needs a way to actually launch again)

dann

JoelOtron
04-26-2006, 06:42 PM
Thanks Dann :)

Some good ideas in there. I like the on /off bullet idea beside each client. Im sure Im not the only one working in a mixed environment---or at least we should start seeing these kinds of situations pop up more frequently as C4d gets added to more studios toolboxes.

I obviously prefer C4d NET--since thats what Im used to and its streamlined for c4d, but also interested to hear about other render manager options. So choices like Smedge or backburner could be options for C4d via command line?

Thanks much

edfenner
04-26-2006, 07:04 PM
I have sent a request for this (along with other net wishes) to Maxon. I think this is one of those things you really need to have.

For example, I had to throw some extra machines on my net for a bring project - one was at a location I couldn't get to. Somehow a plugin got corrupted on it. So everytime it rendered a file it was bad - I knew it was happening, but there was nothing I could do. If I could have checked a box on that machine it would have saved me a lot of time!

ed

juanjgon
04-26-2006, 08:45 PM
As extra features, with the posibility of restart and close net node, could be very usefull to add the mac adress for each node and a button to power on and off net servers using wake on lan protocol.

gbie
04-26-2006, 10:52 PM
I have sent a request for this (along with other net wishes) to Maxon. I think this is one of those things you really need to have.

For example, I had to throw some extra machines on my net for a bring project - one was at a location I couldn't get to. Somehow a plugin got corrupted on it. So everytime it rendered a file it was bad - I knew it was happening, but there was nothing I could do. If I could have checked a box on that machine it would have saved me a lot of time!

ed

This problem could be probably solved by blocking the ip address of the broken client on c4d net server machine firewall.

destro80
04-27-2006, 01:53 AM
If you need to use a PC render client for some tasks that don't take up much memory you can open up the task manager and set the priority for the C4D client to "low".
It won't release the RAM the cleint is using, but the cleint will only tie up the CPU when nothing else is being used.

CGTalk Moderation
04-27-2006, 01:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.