PDA

View Full Version : Anyone routinely adjusting MR tesselation for rendering large files?

vintagetone
04-26-2006, 02:27 PM
I have a file of almost 7 million triangles. I have had issues where at a certain point Mental Ray gives me out-of memory errors. I realize that I can render separate elements with a Matte and then composite them, however, given that the meshes in my scene are already quite dense, is there an optimization that I could preform to save Mental Ray from excessive unnecessary tesselation that would improve the amount of geometry that I could render?

These files are also made of triangles, not quads. In XSI I used the filters to turn the mesh to quads, then reduce when possible. Render speed increased.

What I'm wondering with MR in Maya is should I go into each object and set the tesselation explicetly to reduce the work MR needs to do to process the scene? I am hitting a memory wall on a 3 GIG machine with the 3GIG switch enabled.

Ash-Man
05-01-2006, 02:55 PM
mr always have a memory issue when it comes to Maya

is it only tesselation, or is it Displacment as well (gussing Zbrush)

CGTalk Moderation
05-01-2006, 02:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.