PDA

View Full Version : can never get work finshed.

jimmybill
04-26-2006, 11:36 AM
hello all, i have the modeling skills but my problem is i can never get any work finshed to put it onto my showreel/portfolio. the only projects i have accually finshed is for contest ect. so i wondered weather anyone can give me some advice on how i can finish my models.

Waha
04-27-2006, 12:24 AM
maybe start off with simpler things first and slowly build your way to more complex things

merterkin
04-27-2006, 07:50 AM
Dude if you wanna be a modeler only, these should enough for you. I suggest you to find some texturing, lighting etc. tutorials (maybe small ones) and try to add some character to your models, maybe you can try toonish something, its a little more easy than fotorealistic ones...

cheersss...

-NG-
04-27-2006, 10:21 AM
Welcome to the world of beeing a artist. :)

I think its more a issue of management and beeing consistent, meaning if you start a project first finish it before you start another one(wich is our main problem as whe never feel like something is finished when working on own projects). I think you just have to be hard and draw a line somewhere in your project and say its finished, because the next day you'll find new stuff wich can be improved. :)

Best way to start a new project is to lay down your idea on paper and do some preproduction, decide what you want to create and how it should look enz and stick to that idea from the beginning.

Sully
04-27-2006, 10:38 AM
One way ive found very helpful is to set stern deadlines for yourself and make sure you meet them, break your projects up into small milestones so you feel your making progress..Its a good idea to write these down so you have a plan in front of you and theres some kind of structure to your project..

CoolDuck
04-27-2006, 11:37 AM
Me too, I also have this problem, having problems finishing a project. I always get stuck at a certain point I don't like, for example: modeling hair or texturing. There are so many projects I want to do.

I think you should strive for quality not quantity. If you have 3 great finished characters + 10 great WIPS, it is better than, 10 finished average work, and 2 great wips. With wips you can practice your skills and when the time comes that you feel the need to create a 'master piece' than your skills are already a lot more polished than before. (hope that makes sense)
I see wips as studies for the master pieces that are coming hehe. :D

You gotta find ways to get you motivated! Set smaller goals. Big goals but cut into small pieces. Maybe when you are going to get paid, you will finish it. ;) Or contests.

CGTalk Moderation
04-27-2006, 11:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.