PDA

View Full Version : skin skeleton to anim rig

_stev_
04-26-2006, 05:59 AM
When attaching a skin skeleton to an animation rig, which is the more preferred method, using direct connections, or using constraints? Seems like if you're using direct connections, then the joint hierarchy has to match perfectly to the animation rig. And with constraints, couldn't you only attach the skin skeleton if the rig is in bind pose? They both seem to have pros and cons.

Stev

stewartjones
04-26-2006, 12:34 PM
Direct connections for me. The animation skeleton, and the skinned skeleton should have the same joint hierarchy anyway, shouldn't it?!?! If I'm using multiple models (Lo-proxy etc) I keep the skeletons consistant throughout (minus any jiggle deformers etc). Means that I can copy information between the skeletons quickly and easily.

_stev_
04-26-2006, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the input Stewart.

The only hierarchy difference I would potentially want would possibly be tranform nodes above root joints for constraints in the anim rig. I would rather not include these in the skin skeleton if they serve no purpose. The joint orientations would still match perfectly. Does this sound like a bad idea?

Stev

CGTalk Moderation
04-26-2006, 04:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.