PDA

View Full Version : how do y'all bloom?

monovich
04-26-2006, 03:17 AM
lately I've been obsessed with how light blooms and blurs in real life. It seems when replicating it in CG, people think they can just gaussian blur the highlights of an image and screen or add it back onto itself. It looks crappy. A lot of video games use that technique now, but in compositing I want to make something look as good as real life.
In AE, we can do that, we can use the not-so-wonderful glow plugin... but what else?

I'm curious what others do to get better looking blooms and glows? In real life brighter objects blur and bloom more than dim objects, so how do people replicate that nicely? Do you compound blur? Is there a great plugin that does it?

I think in Shake they have some sort of "blur highlights", which seems very nice. I suspect that technique works best with images containing true dynamic range. What about blooming an object rendered in lowly 8 bit?

I saw the movie "Brick" this weekend, and noticed in a lot of the lense flares and highlights that the camera grain was much much more noticable in the flares, so I've put a little grain in my flares and glows today and like how that looked. Its a subtle thing, but can make things more filmic.

In forums there is always someone who knows way more than me, so I thought I'd put this one out there because it's like a song I can't get out of my head.

:)

2a03
04-26-2006, 12:59 PM
With a little tweaking you can get realistic camera blurring with blooming from Lenscare...

http://www.frischluft.com/

Its a great plugin... The highlights look nice and you can easily create your own strong defocus super bokeh presets with it.

JohnnyRandom
04-26-2006, 05:01 PM
Intrinsia has a great AE bloom tutorial HERE (http://www.intrinsia.net/)

Go to the tutorials page.:)

monovich
04-26-2006, 09:22 PM
thanks for the replies. Lenscare looks pretty cool I haven't tried it. how does it differ from the Depth Of Field Blur in AE?

The tutorial is pretty cool also. That seems to be the familiar way of producing blooms, but I don't like it as much because it does the same blur level for every element in the image, but in real life brighter objects blur/bloom more than dim objects. guess a compound blur can accomplish that...

Vympel
04-26-2006, 11:57 PM
the compound blur just use a image as map to the intensity of blur, yooou can try isolatethe highlights (using luma keyr for instance) and apply a blur and some color correction and comp this layer with the original footage

2a03
04-27-2006, 04:18 AM
the compound blur just use a image as map to the intensity of blur, yooou can try isolatethe highlights (using luma keyr for instance) and apply a blur and some color correction and comp this layer with the original footage

Well it doesn't really compare because its so much better... The orphanage uses lenscare... I'm pretty sure I read that it was used in "Sin City"... I've been using it in a personal project this past year and I really like it.... I did a couple tests where I tried to create a realistic defocus a few months ago... I took a photo of a christmas ornament in focus and then extremely defocused then I applied varios plugs in AE trying to recreate the real camera defocus... here are some images from the test...

The two lensblur plugs I had to use were "Lenscare" and Tinderbox "T_lensblur"... I'm using AE 6.5 so I did not have the lensblur plug in AE 7 to try... And there's more than just the lensblur plugs applied...I created an animation preset with magnify and levels and saturation adjustments as well...

beenyweenies
04-27-2006, 05:13 AM
lately I've been obsessed with how light blooms and blurs in real life. It seems when replicating it in CG, people think they can just gaussian blur the highlights of an image and screen or add it back onto itself. It looks crappy. A lot of video games use that technique now, but in compositing I want to make something look as good as real life.
In AE, we can do that, we can use the not-so-wonderful glow plugin... but what else?

I'm curious what others do to get better looking blooms and glows? In real life brighter objects blur and bloom more than dim objects, so how do people replicate that nicely? Do you compound blur? Is there a great plugin that does it?

I think in Shake they have some sort of "blur highlights", which seems very nice. I suspect that technique works best with images containing true dynamic range. What about blooming an object rendered in lowly 8 bit?

I saw the movie "Brick" this weekend, and noticed in a lot of the lense flares and highlights that the camera grain was much much more noticable in the flares, so I've put a little grain in my flares and glows today and like how that looked. Its a subtle thing, but can make things more filmic.

In forums there is always someone who knows way more than me, so I thought I'd put this one out there because it's like a song I can't get out of my head.

:)

Though it became a subject of semi-heated debate, I posted a thread on this topic not too long ago. I have found that using the 32bit mode in AE 7.0 generates much more realistic blooms and blurs, and using just plain old fast blur or lens blur, no pricey plugins. The 32bit "Add" mode (which is the new "Screen") in combination with blurred elements creates a very realistic, soft and natural blooming effect. The effect is even better when you have motion blur enabled on your layer should you need it. Objects behind the motion blur look so much better. I would recommend playing with 32bit if you want better, cheap blurs and blooms. By the way, render times are not substantially increased using this method, especially when compared to some plugins.

If you haven't played with 32bit yet, there are some workflow issues you need to know, and that info can be found at Stu's blog:

http://prolost.blogspot.com/

Vympel
04-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Well it doesn't really compare because its so much better... The orphanage uses lenscare... I'm pretty sure I read that it was used in "Sin City"... I've been using it in a personal project this past year and I really like it.... I did a couple tests where I tried to create a realistic defocus a few months ago... I took a photo of a christmas ornament in focus and then extremely defocused then I applied varios plugs in AE trying to recreate the real camera defocus... here are some images from the test...

The two lensblur plugs I had to use were "Lenscare" and Tinderbox "T_lensblur"... I'm using AE 6.5 so I did not have the lensblur plug in AE 7 to try... And there's more than just the lensblur plugs applied...I created an animation preset with magnify and levels and saturation adjustments as well...

Bloom not a defocus. But this the Lenscare can be simulated Bloom...

monovich
04-27-2006, 06:45 PM
that lenscare looks better and better. Vympel is right about me wondering more about blooms than defocus, but they are so closely related.

One thing that DOF Blur doesn't do is a color defocus. It only blows out white highlights.

In this Apple video about Shake they have a small snip where they have a "defocus" node. Does anyone know how that works, or if there is some sort of rough AE equivalent?

beenyweenies - I have tried some 32bit, but not a ton. Thanks for the link on the caveats, though. I'll read through that. I did notice that AE slows to a crawl with HDR files in 32 bit. Does anyone else notice this? Maybe OpenEXR is better...

Vympel
04-27-2006, 07:22 PM
The Shake have this type of node but you need to check the quality of this filter, plus you to need to see the quality of this filter compared with other options

CGTalk Moderation
04-27-2006, 07:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.