PDA

View Full Version : Big Mechs and Big Ideas

shahadi
01-03-2003, 07:34 AM
ok people, finally posted a piece of work after being a member and viewing all the amazing works of all u other guys. This is a flash site I did for my online portfolio. the featured sites inside are worth checking out too. Tell me what u guys think.

http://www.shahadi.com

ThatGuy
01-03-2003, 07:48 AM
:applause: :applause: nice site but u should have a preloader on the blue site im on 56k and damn it takes a while

mohh
01-03-2003, 04:10 PM
Nice use of a mask. :thumbsup:

Armin
01-03-2003, 09:15 PM
yeah .cool masking idea!
nice work... but,
too big swf....very long time loading man, on 56k:hmm:

Shaykai
01-05-2003, 08:09 AM
I say screw the 56kers ;) I loved thed site, inovative idea IMO. Great job.

Macapaka
01-06-2003, 07:29 PM
You have some bugs on the site.

first, the logo that appears in the middle, after its dissapearance it leaves the html attributes behind, i cant figure out why it would do that.

second, one of your menu items is placed in a wierd position, the steel wheel .com thing in the center...the link name isnt visible.

oh and your html doc doesent have a title, so it reads untitled document.

hope that helps, looks good though, you are going in the right direction.

MaRvI
01-11-2003, 03:47 PM
Nice website..
You still got some problems to fix with those HTML and Flash-scripts commands that seem to show for some reason. But when not counting that it's very nice indeed.

Maybe it's an idea to view some pics and text while pre-loading the .swf because even on a broadband connection it still takes a long time.

Greetz MaRvI

ThatGuy
01-11-2003, 06:27 PM
lol those arent bug on his site that was intentional . Im postin up this reply to make things clear that code was intentional cause for any flash coders out there I dont think there is a bug in flash that would display ur code on ur swf. file how would i kno this well the dude is my freind and when he showed me it the first time i asked him bout the code and he said intentional then i looke at the links and it made sense like goto and play BLUE and thats exaclty what it does. well lol I thought it was cool for the people who kno flash otu there anyways i had to post up cause he looks like he is kinda buzy anyway

p.s you guys are right that he needs more preloaders lol

Kieguy
01-12-2003, 12:49 AM
Um, OK, first....ThatGuy: This might come off totally mean, don't mean to be, but you might try tossing some more periods into those run on sentences...and watch the typos...!!! (then watch me let a typo go by in this post ;) )

As for the site....I'll second the cool mask effect. There's another error not mentioned yet. The link to the "IMAGEFOLIO" is not written correctly. It's using backslashes rather that forward slashes and includes a '..' that's showing up to me anyway (IE 5, Mac). It's trying to go here:

http://www.shahadi.com/..\imagefoliosite\main.html

should be:

http://www.shahadi.com/imagefoliosite/main.html

heh...and once in there...you commit the all too common "sin" of putting up a link that has no content ;) I.E. Biography > "I have no biography." Then don't put a link to it. ;)

Again, sorry if this comes off harsh, but just trying to give helpful feedback.

P.S. Just discovered more instances of the same kind of bad links with backslashes and such. I think all the links to 'VIEW THE SITE' within the portfolio.

ThatGuy
01-12-2003, 06:34 AM
totally mean nah but thanks for the first grade tips I really needed it :thumbsup:

chepe297
01-12-2003, 10:48 AM
Really nice and interesting, but I got to say it's a bit heavy on download (surprising I didn't see any bugs, that people have mentioned) :p

Keep up the good work :buttrock:

shahadi
01-12-2003, 04:57 PM
WOW, Thanx guys for the feedback. When I first posted, I didnt get that many replies. My friend helped out and put one up.

Im glad to see that people are actually giving there feedback. I guess it takes a little while for it to get started.

"Patience is a virtue."
"A watched pot never boils."

Hey Kieguy, your right, those backslashes are a problem for Macs but for PC's they are not a problem, I need to find a way to make it crossplatform capable, but for some reason when i use forward slashes, the links fail to work.

Also the Biography section in the Imagefolio was done do to the fact that it was a school assignment and something had to be turned in :p But still, thats no excuse! :annoyed:

Finally, what do u guys think? Should I take out the code idea? On one hand it causes people to think that its an error and that is a negative impression. On the other hand it causes people to wonder how that happened if it is an error which creates curiosity which can lead to return visits and for keen users, they would recognize that those type of errors would be impossible to achieve in an swf file.

Big Up to That Guy!
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35038

MaRvI, Good idea about the pics!

The Cross
01-13-2003, 04:55 PM
Yes it does take awhile to load, so i jut minimized the window and came back to it after a little reading. No biggy.
I dig the theme of the flash works, and i like how the images expose the wireframe. My first impression was " I wish i had thought of it." But it's your work and i'll respect that. I think it's time that i learn how to use flash and make my own website aswell.

piajartist
01-17-2003, 04:57 AM
Props!:applause:

doublewings
01-27-2003, 05:44 PM
:buttrock:
it's indeed large 4 us, 56kers
but i think it deseverse my eyeballs, it's really a cool stuff.
but the sound or music or noise sucks, where can i turn it off, it makes me dizzy.

TheWriter
01-27-2003, 07:11 PM
On my dsl it took quite some time. Normaly I just quite the site and dont even bothered, but I stuck in as I wanted to see what the thread was about. About the masking thing, I guess I just am not a flash fan, I found it very annoying of an interface. I also had the feeling I was seeing many bugs as well, but I guess it's meant to look that way. I would change it imho, assume your job hunting, if your future boss sees that, you may not even get an inverview, even if you do have the skills for the job.

psyop63b
01-28-2003, 05:01 AM
Tried to download about 4 times... nothing. I don't know how big this thing is but if my DSL can't pull it over we got a problem here.

De-Cypher
01-28-2003, 05:56 AM
this is my best kept secret... http://www.flashcomponents.net/

but this might interest you for your portfolio...

http://www.flashcomponents.net/component.cfm?nav=2&id=173

shahadi
01-28-2003, 08:25 AM
Good point 'The Writer'. That fact was nagging at me in the back of my head. I plan to work on a version 2 that will address the horrible loading times :thumbsdow

and the somewhat confusing interface. :insane:

Also I plan to incorporate animation. :D

I like cgtalk, these forums are really inspiring!

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Funny tag 'psyop63b'

piajartist
01-29-2003, 08:47 AM
I can do better flash sites in my sleep, and thats because Im dreaming. In all seriousness that was very sweet! Well Done!:thumbsup:

darren_t
02-05-2003, 12:49 PM
just thought id ad something whilst i wait for it to load. i think you should imbed the fonts for the load percentage. so they get antialiased. and also make the text unselectably. dont know why but i think it makes it look cleaner this way.

sketchyjay
02-07-2003, 02:58 AM
nice. might want to add something more than a line for people to watch while waiting.

jay

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.