PDA

View Full Version : NEWBIE to ANIMATION/Insight needed!

soccerrprp
04-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Greetings all!

I am about to embark in a summer-long full-charachter animation project of my own design. I'm pretty psyched about it and would like a little feedback and/or advice:

1. With IK and FK, can one do with IK w/o FK?
2. What exactly are the adv. of either? And what specific purpose are either used for?
3. I'm using C4D, I have played around with manual and auto keyframing. Why wouldn't one use AUTO keyframing? It seems so much easier.

Any other hints, advice would be nice!

Thanks all!

stewartjones
04-25-2006, 04:40 PM
1. You would first create some joints, which are automatically FK, you can then add an IK handle which will make those joints IK. Therefore eliminating the FK, as in you won't be able to edit those joints in FK mode no more... If that makes any sense! :)

2. There are pros and cons in each. FK gives great arcs, so for arms, or hanging legs etc it is great. IK will mean that you will have to put in more keyframes to get nice arcs, IK gives you the chance to 'stick' say the character's feet to the floor. So, if your character is just walking around, it would be good to use FK for the arms, and IK for the legs.

3. Sorry, only used C4D for about 20mins way back in college!

Sorry for the ultra crappy answers here! But hopefully it will help out some.

Cheers

-Stu

soccerrprp
04-25-2006, 05:32 PM
Thanks Stu!

Animonster
04-25-2006, 06:39 PM
I'm not exactly sure how it works in C4D, but in many other apps., autokey will set keys on all keyable attributes (i.e. translation, rotation, scale, visibilty) of the object being moved.

This can create a mess in your graph/curve editor. There is always a way to clean up these static channels, however.

The autokey function is really just a matter of preference. I am used to setting keys on individual attributes as I animate, but some people like to just move through time and move the character around with autokey on.

gdimmrt
04-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Auto key is good for when you are blocking in for shots. Use manual key when you want to play around with the pose before keying it or you don't want to accidentally key where you don't want to. The bad thing about manual keying is that you have to select EVERYTHING that should be keyed and sometimes you miss something or forget to key all together and your pose is lost!

CGTalk Moderation
04-25-2006, 09:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.