PDA

View Full Version : mel script question

Jagger
01-03-2003, 03:17 AM
Ive been riging for only a few months now and ive just realized the need for mel scripting. I only have a basic understanding of expressions and no experience with programing.

My question is what is mel script closest to? java or c++, I ask this because there is no course in mel scripting i could find in my city, so i want to take a course in the most similar programing language.

Can some one plz tell me which programing language is closest to mel scrip? so i can atleast apply that to mel.

thanx

goosh
01-03-2003, 07:11 AM
C and C++ will defenitelly help. MEL is not the same, but the basics of it are (and MEL is a lot easier)

Also, take into consideration that if you want to do some API stuff, it's all C++ so that would help you there too

Good luck

G

Jagger
01-04-2003, 03:31 AM
thanx Goosh. :thumbsup:

by the way, what does API stand for?

LFShade
01-04-2003, 04:28 AM
API = Application Programming Interface

It's a library of functions and objects (in the programming sense) that a developer can use to extend an application's functionality.

Jagger
01-04-2003, 10:24 AM
hmm, sounds interesting.

I guess im defenetly going to take a C++ course now.

thanx guys.

dmcgrath
01-08-2003, 10:12 PM
Yes I recommend C and also you can teach yourself PERL along with your C class. There is lots of code I've seen in PERL that feels alot like MEL also. Plus it's all open source and free, and there's too much stuff on the internet to even list

Jagger
01-10-2003, 07:10 AM
thanx dmcgrath, ive seen some PERL code and ur right it looks very similar.

I also had a look at the tutorial on your site as well, and i must say it helped. Ive been wondering for a while now how to turn on/off a child joint orient form its parent joint rotation(like the head and arms). And another skeleton just for the Orients seems like a very good idea.

dmcgrath
01-11-2003, 04:41 AM
Thanks, Jagger. Good luck with your scripting classes. I wish I could take more scripting, but it won't fit into my school schedule.

-dan

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.