PDA

View Full Version : the devil! oh.. he's bad

malcon
04-25-2006, 06:31 AM
Hey whats up everbodyu. yes this is my first forum post. and i must say, this place is amazing. So many great artist!
anyway so here is a character im working on. i just finished the character himself and sort of botched a background untill i figure out what i want to do. this was inspired greatly by a poster my father drew when he was a teenager. so its sort of a new angle to it.
anyway, i noticed that on my cintiq, the colors are much more vibrant, and i can see the suddle textures in the skin alot better than on the lcd screen on other computers, ill have to see what it looks like when i print it out. anyway what do you guys think i could do to make this more successful?
thanks guys
*updated link* http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/219012/219012_1146018474_large.jpg
(http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/219012/219012_1145942405_large.jpg)

malcon
04-25-2006, 05:32 PM
anyone? bueler...bueler

Nehym
04-25-2006, 07:51 PM
What a cute devil! Love his expression. :D

Onto commenting now.. Hm well first thing i see is that the edges fo the character are very, very sharp, maybe you should try to soften them a little and also give him at the same time some more shadows to enhance his ''roundness''. His features could also maybe use some faint, soft shadows here and there.

You could also add some reflected light from the halo on his face and hand, just a golden tone around that area? Actually i think you added some already but it doesn't show too much, probably related to the cintiq/lcd issue you mentionned.

malcon
04-26-2006, 02:22 AM
Yeah i deffinattly see what your saying. ill work on softening him up a little, aswell as add more suddle shadowing and enhance the "roundness" thanks for the comments. ill update the image when im finished. thanks for the advise

malcon
04-26-2006, 03:31 AM
ok well i have softened up the edges alot. maybe even a little to much. i added alot more lighting, reflacting off the halo, but it is still hard to see on a normal monitor...try looking at it from an above center angle, and you can see the lighting change more clearly haha.
anyway i also added more shadows to his body and added more light on the ground etc.

http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/219012/219012_1146018474_large.jpg

cuddlesmcsavage
04-26-2006, 06:05 PM
pretty much all i could have said already has been!

Naisart
04-26-2006, 08:59 PM
Hi,
Looks pretty cool so far but I have some suggestions.

I think his middle finger (on his left hand) is too thick and it looks a bit strange.
His left foot looks like it is made of clay, becasue it looks like itīs shapeing around his tail. I think you should take care of that.

Look at some reference for the anatomy to make him look more convincing.

His expression also looks strange. Right now he looks happy and worried at the same time. Maybe you should change his right eyebrow and just flip it to give him a more sneaky look.

It looks like you are using black to paint the shadows. I think itīs better to be using dark shades of red instead. I also agree with Lilie about adding more shadows here and there.

I would also make his trident sharper in the ends and you should definantly do something about the background.

Hope this helps and keep it up!

malcon
04-27-2006, 12:34 PM
well you have some good points, and i have looked at it.
the finger on the left hand is actually his pointer finger. he only has 4 fingers. i wanted to make his left foot wrap around the tail almost as if it was made of clay. the origional poster that my father did is all florescent red and black, so with the face i ahve pretty much what i was looking to achieve as far as using almost black, aswell as dark red for a styleized look, that complaments the poster i have for a refrence.. the expression is weird, but when im done you'll hopfully beable to tell what he's doing.it will be (when im done) the face you make when your making that chirping noise with your mouth and using your pointer finger to motion someone over. *kich kich kich* i do however agree that i should make the trident sharper, but as far as anatomy, for what i was looking for, im there. i wasnt going to hyper realistic as you see ha. ill incorporate some things you mentions into the drawing tonight and repost later on. thanks for the comments man!

CGTalk Moderation
04-27-2006, 12:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.