PDA

View Full Version : I have a question

visualchaosfx
04-25-2006, 12:30 AM
I am trying to somewhat duplicate this:

4 second reference video (http://www.wsfilms.net/dusting.wmv)

As you can see, when the characters fall and hit the ground they break apart in chunks. Thats what I'm tryin to do in my studies with the particle flow to better myself at it. My scene consists of a box which has reactor animation applied to it. The box falls over and I want it to break apart in chunks like the reference video. So far, I made me PArray and picked the box as my emitter. For the particle type I choose object fragments. When I scrub through the animation, the fragmented particles are not following the animation of my box and besides, they don't break apart like chunks. It breaks apart by the four sides. Anyone have any suggestions?

Ls3D
04-25-2006, 03:19 AM
BTW - Error Code: 404

-S

visualchaosfx
04-25-2006, 03:29 AM
Try it now. Right click and save as.

edit: I don't know what I did but it works. Now I gotta figure out how I did it.:shrug: lol

visualchaosfx
04-25-2006, 01:36 PM
Ok like in my last post I figured out how to get my box to crumble when it hits the ground. Now I'm having issues with the pieces staying in one place after its broken apart:

2 Second Test Clip (http://www.wsfilms.net/crumbling.wmv)

My scene is setup with, obviously a PArray, a wind spacewarp, a drag, a delector, and gravity. On the deflector parameters, I eliminated the bounce and adujusted the friction to 100%. That helped but it didn't allow the peices to scatter a little bit after impacting with the ground. So I adjusted the friction to 99.0%. I've player around with the gravity settings but now much help there. The drag damping characteristics are at 10.0% on XYZ axis. The wind strength is at 0.08. Judgeing by the clip, what am I doing wrong here?

Ls3D
04-25-2006, 10:55 PM
Can't you do a real simulation in reactor (or even Max's dynamics)?

Maybe use your PArray work for the fragments?

-S

visualchaosfx
04-26-2006, 08:58 PM
I went ahead and used reactor because using PArray was getting to be a pain in the butt. I used the fragments feature on reactor to break apart a skeleton mesh once it makes contact with the ground. Now I'm using the PArray system to have the particles come off the bones as it falls. And I have setup the render in video post because I wanted the PArray particles to glow. Well it shows up in my preview but when I render the actual scene within video post and then playback the clip, I cannot see the glowing particles. I can see the particles that are to be glowing but they ain't glowing/ What am I doing wrong here?

Ls3D
04-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Your video post tree is messed up. Can't you just use Effects glow?

It is pretty easy to mess up VP, but if you rebuild it a few times you will probably figure it out.

-S

visualchaosfx
04-29-2006, 04:11 AM
Ok, I was going to PM Alan McKay about this but his inbox is full lol. Anyways here is my question:

I am currently doing a vampire ashing effect very similar to the one on Blade Trinity. I have managed to get skeleton to break apart once it makes contact with the ground but I am trying to figure out a way to replicate that firey dissolve of the outer skin without the use of plugins. Thats where I'm stuck now. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

CapitanRed
06-28-2006, 02:45 PM
you could make a blend material, in which you have your normal material for the skin, and also, where you have the dissolving material. like the glowing part of the vampires in blade.
then blend that with a animated cellular map. (like in the acid burn video of allan mckay in advanced visual effects)
and then let the particles emit from the second colour of the cellular map. i think this will do a pretty nice effect.

i could do a scene, if you didn't get what i mean.:)

visualchaosfx
06-28-2006, 02:49 PM
you could make a blend material, in which you have your normal material for the skin, and also, where you have the dissolving material. like the glowing part of the vampires in blade.
then blend that with a animated cellular map. (like in the acid burn video of allan mckay in advanced visual effects)
and then let the particles emit from the second colour of the cellular map. i think this will do a pretty nice effect.

i could do a scene, if you didn't get what i mean.:)

Yeah could you do a scene? Pwetty pwease? lol

I'm gonna be getting Alans training DVDs real soon too.

CapitanRed
06-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Ok,I'll do, but you have to be patient., I'm at work, and perhaps this evening i won't have enought time. but i can't wait to ''get max in my fingers'':bounce:

visualchaosfx
06-28-2006, 08:26 PM
Ok,I'll do, but you have to be patient., I'm at work, and perhaps this evening i won't have enought time. but i can't wait to ''get max in my fingers'':bounce:

Thats ok. Take your time. I'm deep into other projects anyways. This was just a personally project of mine.:thumbsup:

CapitanRed
07-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Sorry man, i had not enough time till yesterday. I tried to get a good effect, but i got some problemes.

First one is, that i had particles which emmits from materials values(grayscale). this works, but when the material is animated, it takes very long to caluculate that( more than a minute for one frame). don't know why. ( i think the matterwaves from cebas would help, but as i remember, you try to get the effect without plugins)

the other probleme is, that the particles emmit from the right places only from simple objects, like box, sphere etc., but not from a character model, which i used just for testing. I tried uvw maps, but no succes.

My idea was to animate a noise, which blends from a transparent material to a glowing material.( in the first post i talked about cellular map, but noise gave me a better result)
and from this glowing material, the particles would emmit( white parts of the noise)

and you could then lay this render over your normal render, whith the normal materials of your model.

i'll post a scene with the materials, but as i told you, it does not work yet:shrug:

CapitanRed
07-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Ok, here is the scene:

www.megalomania.ch/pirate/setup2.max (http://www.megalomania.ch/pirate/setup2.max)

move the timslider to frame 50. particles emit only from the bright parts.
There are some materials, to show what my idea was. apply the blend material to see how the renders look. but be carefull, first remove the box from the particles position by object operator.
because the noise is animated, and the particles emmit from the bright parts, max freezed on my machine. perhaps somebody knows a way to fix that.
the show material is to show how the noise is moving.

sorry i couldn't help you more. i really tought this would work:shrug:

visualchaosfx
07-08-2006, 01:14 AM
Ok, here is the scene:

www.megalomania.ch/pirate/setup2.max (http://www.megalomania.ch/pirate/setup2.max)

move the timslider to frame 50. particles emit only from the bright parts.
There are some materials, to show what my idea was. apply the blend material to see how the renders look. but be carefull, first remove the box from the particles position by object operator.
because the noise is animated, and the particles emmit from the bright parts, max freezed on my machine. perhaps somebody knows a way to fix that.
the show material is to show how the noise is moving.

sorry i couldn't help you more. i really tought this would work:shrug:

Hey man thanks for your help. I'll look at this when I get home tonite. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
07-08-2006, 01:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.