PDA

View Full Version : help with paint weights!!!

osiris)(reborn
04-24-2006, 05:12 PM
I modeled a character out of subds and some parts in nurbs.

I made a simple skeleton for it since the animation is basic and then I smooth bound it.

Everything works out ok except for one part of the chest (subd) that moves with the arm. I went into the paint weights tool and the weights don't show up.

I tried converting it to nurbs and I could paint the weights ok put as soon as I moved something all the nurbs patches broke apart - no good.

Then I tried painting the weights in proxy mode and I could paint them on the polys but then when I tried rotating the bones, the subds did not move and then I could not go back to standard mode because i said that all my dermormer sets would be deleted.

I am pretty new at rigging so at this point I am lost, is it that I cannot paint weights on subd surfaces? Please, I need some serious help because this seems like something really simple and I am stuck right now without animating.....

Thank you!

osiris)(reborn
04-24-2006, 05:21 PM
ok - I had collapsed the hierarchy before binding -

But now I used the model before the collapse and even though I see the weights, but I still cannot paint, I go over with the brush and nothing happens....

And when I try to do it binding it in the proxy mode, the colors change in the proxy but they do not on the subds....

Please, someone.....

instruct9r
04-24-2006, 11:14 PM
Are the joint locked?? When you open the artisan editor for painting the weight check if there is (Hold) after the name's of the joint's. If so Unhold them by clicking the big button below...

dunkelzahn
04-24-2006, 11:32 PM
There is an option in the smooth bind dialog that controls the number of joints affecting your mesh, that might be responsible for your grief. Itīs called "Max influences". Enter the number of joints you need and deactivate "Maintain Max Influences". If this is set to on, then you cannot change your weighting correctly and your weights are kinda locked, although they donīt show up as locked in the Paint Weights menu.

Cheers

Chris

osiris)(reborn
04-25-2006, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the reply...

No, they are not locked - I checked it.

amannin
04-25-2006, 08:28 AM
when you apply the smooth bind, turn off "maintain max influences" --- then make sure nothing is locked

you should be able to paint freely and then lock weights as you go, without any problems -- or so has worked / does work for me.

though maybe your problem is related to something else.

goodluck

osiris)(reborn
04-25-2006, 09:00 AM
Thanks guys...but what I actually had to do was convert my subds to polygons and weight them then because there was no way I could get to paint weights right on the subds.

Hopefully when I smooth them everything will still be ok....

CGTalk Moderation
04-25-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.