PDA

View Full Version : we proudly announce: (VRAY for CINEMA 4D)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

lllab
08-09-2007, 06:49 AM
the forum will open short before release.

machmirdenlukas managed to be the first person registered and posted already;-)
cheers
stefan

p.s. @priest: as much as i understand your wish and that it is hard to wait, we do not hang around and just wait for marketing reasons.
we want to sell also urgent, and we also have to keep disciplin ourselfs. there are important things to do, last bugs, the final license protection system etc. this needs some time. giving away prerelease versions produces a lot of unforseen severe problems. we cannot do & handle this, also we are just 3 people. this also would postpone 1.0 release much.so i think its not a good idea. hope you understand it a bit.

ilay
08-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Stefan thanks for answer, i see that a first draft of forum was open.
---
Have any news about press-manual?

And did author(this pic. http://www.vrayforc4d.com/IvaR_c_Arscom.jpg) use hair-module or fas&fur or disp.map?

scanmead
08-09-2007, 06:11 PM
I want that house in that render! ;)

Being a compulsive worrier, and this is premature, I'm stressing about what will happen when VRay4C4D is released. You know, the inevitable log-jam of people trying to download it, huge bandwidth vaporizing, and people posting to find out if everyone else is having the same issues. The usual drill.

Maybe have a queue, based on when it was ordered, or who needs it for business purposes, or drawing numbers out of a hat (making sure The Priest is in the first clump)?

Also curious to know if we'll need a PayPal account for this? (I've avoided it so far.)

Now... how's it going at SIGGRAPH with VRay? Anyone slipped in the pools of drool?

lllab
08-09-2007, 06:46 PM
all preorders will get it a email. once they have paid and the payment is confirmed they get the plugin and key. this procedure will certainly take a bit of time. you will be able to apy with paypal or creditcard. in EU you will be also able to use banktransfer.

cheers
stefan

NicoAdri
08-09-2007, 07:51 PM
any chance of some demovideos?

on the website?

also, Stefan, when you type www.vrayforc4d.com (http://www.vrayforc4d.com) the page loads and doesn't pass on to the main page...I suppose you know this already

Adri

lllab
08-09-2007, 08:28 PM
what system do you have?
it works for all i heard of now...also there is only one site file.
can you give me your specs please

a video (one longer one) is up for 2 days now. link is on webpage and here in thread.

stefan

scanmead
08-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Another reason to love you guys, Stefan: my plastic will work! Thanks! :D

NicoAdri
08-09-2007, 09:25 PM
sorry my mistake...you have to wait until it moves to the main page.

as for the demovideo there's nothing new there Stefan. Just the tools4d? that right?

TIA

Adri

RenatoT
08-09-2007, 11:32 PM
Hi All,

here the new rendering page:

http://www.c4dportal.com/~renatot/VrayBridge/tools4dimg.html

here the Video link
http://www.c4dportal.com/~renatot/VrayBridge/tools4dvideo.html

Cheers
Renato

lllab
08-10-2007, 06:51 AM
nico, does this wait ia long for you? what connection do you have?
our testers said it is fast. 2-4sec. it takes as it loads the images on a normal connection.
the page will be grow step by step.

"only tools4d": well that movie shows very very much. instead of many short movies tools 4d did one bigger one. this video already covers all main parts.

i prepare some starting demo videos too for release,
but they cover more or less the same, and i wanted to do them with audio, but i need to buy a better micro. i did test yesterday with mine but that was bad. they will also have more resolution.

cheers
stefan

Kokosing
08-10-2007, 10:27 AM
Hi Illab, could I clarify a few things? (Sorry to demand details, but I'm hoping to use the bridge for an upcoming job.)

Have you actually announced a delivery date?

I'd like to get a sense of VRAY's speed and complexity for GI, or indirect lighting. But the Chaos Group website seems quite limited for non-registered users. Is there somewhere I could look for hard and fast details on this?

And lastly for anyone to answer really: everything I've seen from VRAY renders seems to put an emphasis on 'beautiful' sunny skies in 'beautiful' lush places. But what about those scenes where the 'beauty' is not so sunny or lush, but is gritty and urban. Any ideas where to look for this sort of thing?

Thanks. Everything I'm seeing from you guys looks very promising. I'm pleased for you and your team that your hard work is about to bear fruit.

Will

lllab
08-10-2007, 10:37 AM
Hi ,
Vrays emphasis is on high quality on good speed.
regardless if sunny or rainy, moody whatever. it delivers very realistic light distribution at excellent speed, with very high level surface shading and antialiasing.

so basicly urban, gritty, yes of course...
with our support of c4d shaders it will be even easier to give it the rigth weathered and dirty look.

date: no i havent said a date, i get "killed" here if we cant keep it then;-) rough estimate is first part of september. but this is not the official promised 2weeks anoucment. it can bea bit earlier or later.

thanks for the nice works, yes we hope it will bring big fruits to all c4d users and we hope you will all like it:-)

cheers
Stefan

Neil V
08-10-2007, 10:38 AM
You mean like this?

http://www.evermotion.org/index.php?unfold=gallery&unfold_gallery=31

shtl
08-10-2007, 10:43 AM
And lastly for anyone to answer really: everything I've seen from VRAY renders seems to put an emphasis on 'beautiful' sunny skies in 'beautiful' lush places. But what about those scenes where the 'beauty' is not so sunny or lush, but is gritty and urban. Any ideas where to look for this sort of thing?

Will

Felt on this yesterday for exemple:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=526053

Pascal Blanché did some very nice lightning work on some of his images, but exept the banner I'm nor sure for the rest of if portfolio.
http://pascal_blanche.cgsociety.org/gallery/47818/

but you can find them on his site I guess:
http://www.3dluvr.com/pascalb/index.html

NicoAdri
08-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Stefan,

So would you need to have bought the AR module to get AO with VRayforC4D?

That would be expensive if you're only planning on using VRay.

Thanks

Nick

lllab
08-10-2007, 12:09 PM
hi nico,

if the ao shader is only in Ar then yes sadly. if it is available in base then not. but to be honest the sense of AO in vray is not really there i think. ao is usefull to fake good gi.

as vray is doing perfect and detailed gi there is no big use for ao. just use high detailed gi, thats still miles faster than in ar. maybe also bobtronics free ao shader works, or you could use some dirtshader. i am sure there are many many possibilities...

i personally dont think oyu will like to use ao once you got the vray workflow.

cheers
stefan

ilay
08-10-2007, 12:10 PM
hello Nicholas!
I know that there are developing AO-shader for vr-max(megatk-project by VG...). If author and Vlado will decide to include it in sdk and libs, i think it will be.

fluffouille
08-10-2007, 12:58 PM
The High Details option in the irradiance map gives a sort of AO effects, by adding extra diffusion where objects are close together.
The main difference with a regular AO for C4D, is that it is much faster to render, and it takes the illumination in consideration as well (that way, you avoid the "dirty" effect when the AO is placed on parts that are illuminated by a light or light material.

NicoAdri
08-10-2007, 01:30 PM
well the guy who works here with MAX and VRay uses a free download to apply AO. So either he doesn't know how to use VRay very well or he feels he needs to apply the effect because the renders need it.

mmm...

I'll ask him.

cheers

Nick

lllab
08-10-2007, 01:41 PM
well my max pros-friends here see no need for Ao, but for all that have AR they can use this if really needed in the vray brdf. for sure some use the free max ao plugin....

so we support AO in vray if the user has xl or studiobundle in 1.0.

it is anyway planned to support all vray shaders in future updates in addition to the c4d shaderset. we are now at version 1.0 soon, and vrayforc4d will grow and expand continually.

normally you dont want to use ao in vray renderings, at leats not in archviz. it tends to make the images unrealistic. i guess for some special effects it might be usefull.

cheers
stefan

here a post on cg architect from christopher nichols, maker of the famous vray gnomon dvds:

"You will find that most people that use Vray will find no use for AO unles they want an extra bit of dirt. Which is why the AO shader in Vray is called a VrayDirt. As far as making passes and compositing back together, I did this a while back"

Kokosing
08-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Felt on this yesterday for exemple:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=526053

That's definately what I was thinking. More David Fincher than David Lean.

Thanks,

W

ooo
08-10-2007, 05:01 PM
What is Kai taking about here? Are there serious troubles?

Quote by Kai:

Have you actually seen a mac version of Vray with Vray for C4D? I'll tell you right now what was said and shown at siggraph didn't correlate to a few claims. Vray isn't totally finished on the mac either, there are complications. If your not careful with your sudden devotion to them, you may find yourself in the same trap.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=47&t=527249

lllab
08-10-2007, 05:11 PM
i dont know what kai is talking, but he has no information that he can say such things...

hmm
Stefan
vrayforc4d

p.s. "Vray isn't totally finished on the mac either"
- nobody said any version is totally finished by the way, but we hope to have soon both ready.
those comments are really a bit strange for me....

ThePriest
08-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Kai's Canadian, it's all good.

LucentDreams
08-11-2007, 09:08 AM
i don't know what kai is talking, but he has no information that he can say such things... What do you mean no information you knew I was at the show and going to the booth.

this has nothing to do with the Vray for C4D directly. but I was at the show I talked with Vlado I saw Vray for cinema on the laptop. they didn't demo Vray for Cinema 4D in presentation, and the Mac version is still facing complications. thats Vray for the mac not the Vray for C4D plugin, but without vray working compiling a mac version of the plugin won't do much good. The FR thread I simply pointed out that simply because it has been stated a mac version is in development and such one shouldn't get their hops up or have the attitude that this software pipeline has fulfilled where another company has blatently failed, because so far no one has delivered anything.

Worst thing about announcing that Vray for C4D was being demoed is that while he had it on a laptop there were no official demo's and no one else had been informed so people who just asked any of the Vray staff were told there was no Vray for Cinema 4D being presented at all.

lllab
08-11-2007, 10:05 AM
well ,

first of all i am sorry if vlado did not demo vrayforc4d as he promised to us. we will have to clear with him what happemed happen there.

you can believe us that we are absoluly not happy about this, but i dont want to state here anything before talking with him in person.

vlado personally said to me, as i had to quit my trip to siggraph, that he demo it for us and we shall send him scenes etc....
we and some of our tester did much work for that presentations.
at the moment i cannot imagine what was goingon there at chaosgroup booth. i hope this is some misunderstooding or another techical problem.

i excuse for all people who where there and didnt see much of vrayforc4d. it was definilty not meant like that.

second kai you cannot have any info about our product stage. the problem vlado is having with their own maya macversion is with the vrayframe buffer, that we donnot use for good reasons in 1.0. we have a xcode UB compile by the way now. renato and daniele are on it.

about some people bashing on cebas, this has nothing to do with us, and therefore i see no reason you bash at us with strange half or wrong info you post here. i even posted in fr thread to beg poeple to calm down a bit, as i at least respect all developers here, and i hope most users will too.

so again, i will clear with vlado what was happen at siggraph. sorry to all if they really didnt see as promised...

cheers
stefan

sketchbook
08-11-2007, 10:10 AM
i saw vlado and asked about he v4ray4c4d and he mentioned he could not get it working on the machine that was there, or the machien did not have c4d or something to that effect.

i was sad, but he looked pretty busy.

NicoAdri
08-11-2007, 10:55 AM
mmmm...food for thought these last few postings.

scanmead
08-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Well, obviously VRayforC4D is functioning, because we've seen renders done with it. Someone pages back mentioned they'd used it in projects.

This time next year, we'll all be teasing Vlado for not having Cinema installed, or the machine not working, or whatever. (good grief, it could have been something as irritating as serials not working) And we'll all volunteer to be the official SIGGRAPH VRayforC4D demonstrator to make sure it gets trotted around the virtual track. ;)

lllab
08-11-2007, 11:33 AM
sure it works...

thanks sketchbook for the report, that might explain some. sad that vlado didnt call us, but i guess he was under big stress for his own stuff.

the only thing i can imagine that it idnt work is the licensing stuff as we use a double license in the betas, maybe he forgot to put in the key file from Renatos system.
no fear please on the release we only use one system(Renatos).

sorry again for the inconvinience for those beeing there. it is my fault at the end, cause i wasnt there in person, but i had my peronal reasons i had to stay here.

cheers
Stefan
vrayforc4d

yes scanmead, next year sigg the official team is there for sure...

ilay
08-11-2007, 01:20 PM
hello Stefan!
I hope - all will be normally!
---
If you remember about Arndt von Koenigsmarck's photomatch, try to ask about realbasic.

RenatoT
08-11-2007, 01:26 PM
this has nothing to do with the Vray for C4D directly. but I was at the show I talked with Vlado I saw Vray for cinema on the laptop. they didn't demo Vray for Cinema 4D in presentation, and the Mac version is still facing complications.

I think that this scene is the one that i sent 6 months or + ago... It' can't be compatible with the last Vraybridge because the materials, videopost containers are changed.

So if it don't work it's normal.

Looking foward for news
Renato

Srek
08-11-2007, 02:42 PM
mmmm...food for thought these last few postings.
Not for me, sounds like a perfectly normal Trade Show f*** up :)
Regretable, but nothing i would worry about.

Cheers
Björn

nycL45
08-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Problems like this happen all the time at shows. It was reported that Maxwell's brochures were delayed by customs and so, they had nothing to hand out at their Siggraph booth on the first day. It is called a SNAFU (Situation Normal, All F_ _ked Up) in some places. It happens! It seems Kai's observations are just that, observations gleaned from a moment in a chaotic setting. If Kai had a full detailed understanding that there were serious problems he would have contacted the team by pm or would have given more info in his posts. Kai's tone is most surprising.

Guys, keep going with the dev't and communicating here like you have; we are with you.

scanmead
08-11-2007, 03:35 PM
As soon as this is in our hot little hands, we're setting up a tradeshow hotline network, so that no matter what time of day in what time zone, someone will be available to help or send brilliantly rendered files.

yesss... it's a conspiracy to flood the world with *good* renders. :twisted:

Stefan, it's no one's fault, and no harm was done. Stuff happens. Gosh, you guys are going to need a good long break here pretty soon. (Need we be reminded of the huge presentation of Vista that didn't exactly go as planned?)

lllab
08-11-2007, 04:48 PM
thanks all,
(and sorry for the "SNAFU"...)

cheers
Stefan

ilay
08-11-2007, 06:51 PM
if it was - i'm sorry.
How do you think - 3ds max is native enviroment for vray? Xsi(also was not at siggraph), maya, sketchup and rhino - vray-ported plug-ins are "weak" or non-adapted to no-max enviroment...
Sorry for off-topic...

fluffouille
08-11-2007, 07:13 PM
From my personnal use of the plugin, I can say that the integration is far from weak.

The depth to which it has been developped surpassed what we were expecting at the beginning, and, even if it's not as deeply integrated as the max version for now (which has had several years of lead in development going for it), we certainly have a plugin that is customized for our C4D use, which is slightly different from Max, and seeing how screwy the Max workflow is, that's a perfect thing if you ask me!

I'm pretty positive that the missing features won't take too long to be integrated, for future updates.

All these connexions are pretty new to the Vray world, nothing can be done overnight, and deep integration always takes time.

lllab
08-11-2007, 08:26 PM
ilay,
i dont know what you are talking about.

-but i really think our intregrations is far from weak!
of course we cannot make a full maxlike integration that took several years to make in one year. but vrayforc4d is close and will make many c4d users very happy i hope.
edit: to my opinions the vrayforc4d connection is one of the deepest of all 3rd party engines for c4d at the moment, and it is also very stable, like c4d itself.

i goal is to make one of the best vrayversion around. the combination of c4d workflow and c4d shaders with vray renderquality and speed is making vrayforc4d already now the most attractive version for me....

as said some things that are not in 1.0 like proxy and dr will want to integrate in 1.1 to make it even stronger. 1.0 is only our start it will evolve and grow. vray can be very well as native to c4d as it is to max. it is also our intension to not simple clone the max integration but make it more a c4d like workflow. our intension was to make vrayfor c4d more c4d native than max native.

cheers
Stefan

ilay
08-11-2007, 08:33 PM
i goal is to make one of the best vrayversion around. the combination of c4d workflow and c4d shaders with vray renderquality and speed is making vrayforc4d already now the most attractive version for me....
i will hope and wait for this...years, years for development...it's nice, that we have such many render-prorgamms(modules too) and AR

ThePriest
08-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Is it integrated to a lesser degree than FR2?

lllab
08-11-2007, 09:54 PM
no not lesser:-)

havent checked out the fr-sp3 fully yet,
but vray is at least the same integration level if not more.

p.s. most of our testers got us the feedback that our vray feels most c4d like

cheers
stefan

fluffouille
08-12-2007, 01:20 AM
Yes, they both feel as much integrated as the other, which is a very nice thing to get, since we can easily use both on the same project, and hence, use their strengths where needed.

LucentDreams
08-12-2007, 06:56 AM
guys need to read better, theres nothing wrong with vray for c4d, the demo was perfectly fine nothing crashed it rendered fine. no production info on vray for c4d was mentioned its VRAY's MAC version that was the issue, NOTHING to do with your connection.

ThePriest
08-12-2007, 08:37 AM
Nice, suppose if I hypothetically wanted to test an old project with VRay,
is it a quick work flow to add the necessary additions to preform a test render?

I imagine and would hope it's a simple case of adding the VRay lights, tweaking
the settings (which I'm very used to in Max fyi) and clicking render.

Or is there more to it than that?

One of the benefits of FR2 being that you need to change very little about your
scene in order to get a quick answer on the "Is it worth my time to do full GI", question.

Not Maxwell Render's 'carefully re-work your scene' approach, I hope.

lllab
08-12-2007, 09:34 AM
hi,

theoreticly yes, you add a light tag to the lights and convert the ar material with the vray material converter(one click) to vray brdf materials and turn on gi.

in reality you will want to tweak the automatic translated brdf materials. the brdf material model is much more powerfull and a direct translation from the modell c4d or FR use to vraybrdf, is not always possible. so we recommend tweaking the materials to your needs. for me a basic conversion is normally it is done in a few minutes, depending on the scenes of course.

so it is not hard at all, but you should tweak the scene of course to fit the benefits of the other engine.

cheers
stefan

ooo
08-12-2007, 12:50 PM
guys need to read better, theres nothing wrong with vray for c4d, the demo was perfectly fine nothing crashed it rendered fine. no production info on vray for c4d was mentioned its VRAY's MAC version that was the issue, NOTHING to do with your connection.

Ok, so what is the problem with the Mac version? Will it not be ready soon or in other ways delaying the Vray bridge? I don't think reading your post 3 times will clear that up and I don't read any pointers from Stefan about these issues. I'm still confused about what's going on here.

odo

lllab
08-12-2007, 01:34 PM
ooo,
as said no special problem until now.

vlado had some in compiling osx as i said, and he still has some problems with the vrayframebuffer used in his vrayversions. this framebuffer we donnot use in our vrayforc4d v1.0 so that problem does not count for us.

the compiling looks good now, vlado made us a xcode project with that Renato and Daniele can work and compile. the license system makes a stupid problem at the moment, but i think that is a minor thing, we will probably not use vlados license system at all in the release.
Renato has good osx experience as developer so i am confident all goes as planned.

cheers
Stefan

ooo
08-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Ok Thanks Stefan! Sounds good. I won't listen to anybody else but you now regarding news on VrayforC4d. Exiting times ahead! :thumbsup:

odo

lllab
08-12-2007, 02:47 PM
thanks odo,
osx is very important to us. i myself have several macs (quads and octo) here, and i plan to switch to osx as main plattform once we have all finished. so our commitment to osx is definitive there:-), also the preorders are more than 50% for osx.

cheers
Stefan

brammelo
08-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Not for me, sounds like a perfectly normal Trade Show f*** up :)
Regretable, but nothing i would worry about.

And Kai should know this, he's done enough trade shows ;-)

RenatoT
08-13-2007, 12:23 AM
Hi all,

here a new video demo of the current Vraybridge Release.

http://www.c4dportal.com/~renatot/PomodoriTest.mov

Cheers
Renato T.

FredSpeaks
08-13-2007, 12:53 AM
Good Job!! I can't wait till release. :thumbsup:

fluffouille
08-13-2007, 02:13 AM
Hi all,

http://www.c4dportal.com/~renatot/PomodoriTest.mov (http://www.c4dportal.com/%7Erenatot/PomodoriTest.mov)

Cheers
Renato T.
I think our Mac users friends are going to be pretty excited! :)

Continuumx
08-13-2007, 03:38 AM
Thanks Renato! Personally I would recommend never to doubt the incredible ingenuity of Renato!

Indeed, I like it when our OSX friends are supported by any means necessary!

govinda
08-13-2007, 05:01 AM
A big 'LOLZ' to our Italian programmer choosing tomatoes as his scene file. :D:D

rsquires
08-13-2007, 05:34 AM
I also like how he sneaks the OSX system profile in half way through. I had a little chuckle to myself, sad I know, but it tickled me.

Renato is the man
regards

rich

shtl
08-13-2007, 06:02 AM
Thanks a lot to take your time for this Renato. After all Stephan said, this should finish to reassure all macusers, especially all thoose with small configs ^^

osxman
08-13-2007, 09:22 AM
Hi all,

http://www.c4dportal.com/~renatot/PomodoriTest.mov (http://www.c4dportal.com/%7Erenatot/PomodoriTest.mov)

Cheers
Renato T.
Thank you very much for that Renato :thumbsup:. I never really doubted Stefan saying that you were OK on OS X but this puts the worries to a definite rest.

And if you'd like to put that last little nail in the "malevolent rumorcoffin" I'd be very happy to make a little video demo for you showing VRAYforC4D working on a PPC Mac as well :p.

Regards,
Stéphane

ooo
08-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Holy tomatoes! I'm happy now :bounce:
Next render icecream?

odo

rob rhodes
08-13-2007, 09:37 AM
What I like about that video is the fact that when you press the render viewport button it actually renders out the correct camera/frame dimentions rather than the whole viewport - so even bettering Maxon at their own game!

rob rhodes
08-13-2007, 10:18 AM
I know it's a bit late now but did you (Stephan) consider making a Vray drop down like cinema has for its lights/cameras etc. so all of the Vray lights and cameras and other vray specific stuff could be found on one dropdown box with a little symbol for each rather than having to add a tag each time you want to add a light. These would just be ready tagged objects and would work just the same as the ones that were manually tagged. I don't know this could be done through the content browser but would be best if it was ready and waiting on the top line next to the cinema objects dropdown icon. Just an idea and you have probably already thought about this.

Rob

NicoAdri
08-13-2007, 12:30 PM
will vray4c4d work with photomatch?

TIA

Adri

Neil V
08-13-2007, 12:40 PM
That has just made my day!

lllab
08-13-2007, 01:01 PM
yes vrayford4d works with photomatchplugin. it uses the normal c4d cam.

cheers
stefan

ilay
08-13-2007, 01:43 PM
uhh it's nice to watch that bridge works with mac!

I wish to see some animations with Renato's fast&fur or hair-module and play of wind(like hellicopter vortex or wind streams). It will be hard test for seeing - 70-90% work of bridge.

Other3DMaster
08-13-2007, 04:46 PM
Renato,

Thank you so much for that post. It made my Mac heart soar.

Best Regards...

williamsburroughs
08-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Happy Mac owner here...and future happy vRay4C4D owner as well. :)

RenatoT
08-13-2007, 05:39 PM
Hi All,

here a video of 2 tomato where i play with basic vray things.. just to show you all.

From the preliminar things.. all seem to be ok like in the Windows Release. :)

Edit: Sorry for the slownees... but my mini is 1.5 ghz with 512 megs ram ;)

http://www.c4dportal.com/~renatot/TestPomodori2.mov (http://www.c4dportal.com/%7Erenatot/TestPomodori2.mov)

Thanks for your time
Renato

ilay
08-13-2007, 06:34 PM
Renato thank you! :bounce: :applause:
You forget to show CineView-supporting :) (is it support?) :eek: :argh:
---
And can you make "hairy" tomato? :scream: :)

RenatoT
08-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Renato thank you! :bounce: :applause:
You forget to show CineView-supporting :) (is it support?) :eek: :argh:
---
And can you make "hairy" tomato? :scream: :)

Hello IlaySHP,

vray don't support the Hair post effect .. but you can use Hair in polygons way.
Cineview is working on windows.. but i'm sure that is working on Osx too..
Later i'll ask the plugins license to Chris and i'll post the results.

Cheers
Renato

ilay
08-13-2007, 06:48 PM
vray don't support the Hair post effect .. but you can use Hair in polygons way.
I know it(i didn't use final render for it, too long renders... but new sp is more comfortable)

Will you use vrayFur for future version or stay at adaptation of current plugins(hair, fast&fur)?

noseman
08-13-2007, 07:33 PM
I don't believe this, Renato programmed a Mac-like activity monitor on PC, wow he is a great programmer (he he)

The integration seems SUPERB. A big BRAVO to all the team.
All we need now is 3D scans of the Vray4C4D teams faces to render some statues for them!

Great job!

P.S. contrary to some negative posts here (happily not many), my personal opinion is that this project has been made possible in record breaking time.
I am sure that we are going to see many good things from these guys in the future too!
I am amazed!

ooo
08-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Sorry for going very off topic here but can you explain how you did the VRAYforC4D website? I would like to know how you manage to keep the centered main screen in a fixed size while the surroundings scale when you change the windowsize of your browser. If I check the source I only see one SWF-file. Is it possible to manage that effect within the SWF settings? When I put the scaling to 100% everything scales with the browserwidth and that is not the case on your website.

Can you share your secret? I'm desperately looking for a layout like that so if you're willing to give me some hints that would be very much appreciated.
Sorry again for this non-Vray question.

Thanks!

odo

castroman
08-13-2007, 09:21 PM
odo

you insert a table in the window with 100% width and 100% height. Then center and vertical align the content inside that table. You could have another table or some other content inside and it will always stay centered.

You could also of course use css to do this

hope this helps
jan-otto

ooo
08-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Thanks jan Otto, A table is indeed an option, but in Stefans case I see neither table no CSS so I was wondering how he managed this with pure swf files. Or am I missing something? I'm working on a flash based site for a special project and would love to have a lay-out like this.

odo

castroman
08-13-2007, 10:22 PM
looking at the code, looks like he embedded the swf file and setting it to 100% in both height and width.
<EMBED src="lllab_main.swf" menu=true quality=best scale=noscale bgcolor=#FFFFFF WIDTH="100%" HEIGHT="100%" NAME="lllab_main" ALIGN=""
nothing like filling this HUGE Vray thread with a little html coding :)

Tank_3D_Attack
08-13-2007, 10:49 PM
Hi All,

here a video of 2 tomato where i play with basic vray things.. just to show you all.

From the preliminar things.. all seem to be ok like in the Windows Release. :)

Edit: Sorry for the slownees... but my mini is 1.5 ghz with 512 megs ram ;)

http://www.c4dportal.com/~renatot/TestPomodori2.mov (http://www.c4dportal.com/%7Erenatot/TestPomodori2.mov)

Thanks for your time
Renato

I am praying that this is not a "Intel Macs" only OS X release cause that would defenitely make me VERY mad. I wasted two years waiting for FinalRender for OS X and still don't see any progress on that. So please Renato...make sure BOTH options are available ;)available ;) (PPC and Intel Mac versions).

Thomas

RenatoT
08-13-2007, 11:26 PM
Hi Thomas,

Our VrayBridge is PPC-Intel ready now (universal binary) but today we have only the Vray Intel for mac. Maybe that ChaosGroup will give us the PPC release in the next sdk.

The Siggraph put us in standby with the info from maxon and chaosgroup.. so today i can't tell you anything.

sorry
Renato

Other3DMaster
08-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Maybe that ChaosGroup will give us the PPC release in the next sdk.
o

They(chaos) do plan on it being UB once finally released though, right?

RenatoT
08-13-2007, 11:32 PM
I think that this is the natural way..
but remember that if you need Vray in production.. the ppc is not the right choice.. :(

cheers
Renato

Other3DMaster
08-13-2007, 11:36 PM
I think that this is the natural way..
but remember that if you need Vray in production.. the ppc is not the right choice.. :(

cheers
Renato

Well, while I would agree that intel is the way to go in the future, there are a lot of Mac users who are still using their PPC G5s. Far back in this thread, I understood UB version of vray for cinema4d to mean everything(bridge and render engine). No PPC version could be a real deal breaker.

RenatoT
08-13-2007, 11:51 PM
Sure, i know.. but we can only hope that ChaosGroup i spending the development on the PPC side.

Cheers
Renato

Other3DMaster
08-13-2007, 11:59 PM
So you have had no promise from Vlado that it will in fact be both PPC and Intel? I saw on a thread over on the Chaos Forum, that the Mac OS X Vray for Maya 8.5 was released as an "initial build"/full version in late June; yet, there was no mention of a PPC version, only Intel. I'm just really wondering if you've had any confirmation that Chaos is going towards a UB version of 1.5? "Hoping" that Choas is doing this will not really make the PPC owners feel very good. I'm starting to feel that the PPC Mac owners are on shaky ground.

RenatoT
08-14-2007, 12:29 AM
I'm sorry but i don't know ... :(

When i'll get the answer from vlado i'll make a post.

Cheers
Renato

JoelOtron
08-14-2007, 01:24 AM
Another PPC user here (both at my job and at home). Got my rig a few months before the intels came out. Of course its a matter of time b4 I move to Intel--but I have no plans to do so just yet.

Other3DMaster
08-14-2007, 01:35 AM
Thanks, Renato. I'm not trying to be hard on you, it just would be a real drag if there was no PPC version; and, like Joel, even though I will be going Intel, it won't be any time soon, and I had hoped to continue to use my PPC machines as render slaves on a local network after I went to an Intel Mac as my main machine.

Best Regards...

ngrava
08-14-2007, 01:59 AM
Hey Guys,

Vlado made it clear in the Vray for Maya forum that it would "eventually" be released as Intel and PPC. The Fact that there is no PPC build is only because of build error which they have not been able to solve just yet. In fact, if it wasn't for Siggraph which takes up a lot of Vlado and Peter's time, It would probably be out already. Just hold on and wait and see. As soon as Vlado says something, we will all know in a matter of minutes. ;)

DanieleF
08-14-2007, 02:39 AM
Hi guys,
just to clarify that the fact we have not a PPC version yet is not our choice, but i want to promise you that as soon as we have a functioning UB vray's core we'll release a UB version of the VrayBridge. What i can say now is that the OSX version seems to works just as good as the Windows one, so cross your fingers and hold your breath and as always thanks for your patience.

Best regards

Daniele Ficini

sketchbook
08-14-2007, 06:39 AM
awesome. i am glad you will be releasing the UB version when it is complete.

for all you PPC folks, give me a break. nobody should be getting "mad" over such a thing.

osxman
08-14-2007, 07:36 AM
...for all you PPC folks, give me a break. nobody should be getting "mad" over such a thing.
Well if there won't be any PPC/UB version I'll at least be VERY dissapointed, bordering on mad.

I guess it all boils down to whether Vlado thinks it's not worth the workload pushing out a PPC-compatible version OR if he's trying but having problems.

I specifically asked Stefan about this before preordering (in January). If I push myself, I can understand if Vlado, for such a "small" company as Chaos, thinks it's not worth supporting a "dying" platform but if that's the case – we should have been told a long time ago. It would certainly have changed a couple of hardware related decisions of mine.

But for now, I remain hopeful (or else I might go mad (in the insane sense of the word)).
----
Stéphane

lllab
08-14-2007, 08:00 AM
hi all,
universal binary is normaly also for PPC. it is meant for Intel and PPC.
but for some reason there are problems with the PPC in this sdk still.
(Renato and Daniele until now solved all problems, so i am confident this too...)

we understand that there are still PPC users here and of course we will try to get it work,
and as it was always planned to have support for UB(PPC+Intel) we do our best to make also the PPC work.

cheers
stefan

edit: i start a small thread here for PPC, please post there if you have a ppc for your c4d work to help us.

Srek
08-14-2007, 09:13 AM
This thread is already big enough, please don't clutter it with unrelated stuff.
Thanks
Björn

Other3DMaster
08-14-2007, 10:34 AM
for all you PPC folks, give me a break. nobody should be getting "mad" over such a thing.

As stated, UB means a universal binary that contains both the Intel and PPC code. We were told it would be UB, we are not "mad" we just were under the assumption that this future product would run on our given platform, and therefore we preordered it.

Stefan,

Thank you so much for your response. I really hope Chaos gets this worked out. I understand how much of this is out of your hands, and I am still so grateful you have undertaken this effort.

Best Regards

vitos
08-14-2007, 01:10 PM
No PPC support .... nice :(
I'm also dissapointed to hear that, especialy now. It should have been told much earlier.
Maby MODO is the next 3D app of choise ?
Or, looks like all the PPC folks will have to wait for the AR update that i assume will come out much sooner than PPC VRAY. Fortunately it is being tested in Germany now and MABY with the next R11 release, or by the end of next year, there will also be AR 3.

ooo
08-14-2007, 01:30 PM
Ok Mac users are a bit difficult audience. First there was a cry for UB versions that were not available and now we want backward compatability for PPC. Thanks Apple!
These are all transitional issues that will disappear over time. I cannot blame the developers for not providing a PPC version any more (if that should be the case with Vlado).
Not for a new tool that is! Existing tools shoud be updated as long as possible and as long as there is a substantial userbase for the ancient code. If there's indeed only an Intel compile for Vray that's a real pity (for me too) but I think we should be glad there is now for the first time a Mac version! If you really need Vray then upgrade your PPC to Intel or wait untill you want to upgrade. I really prefer that option over the switch to Windows.

odo

@ Stefan: I managed to get the website effect working! Thanks again for your help.

JoelOtron
08-14-2007, 01:56 PM
@ngrava and Danielle

THANKS for the info. :)
Just need to plan ahead and know what the deal is, thats all.

thev
08-14-2007, 02:26 PM
We do not have a PPC build of the V-Ray SDK yet for the simple reason that we could not get a PPC Mac to test it on.

If we manage to get our hands on a PPC Mac to do some proper testing, there is no particular issue to compile V-Ray for PowerPC.

Best regards,
Vlado

vitos
08-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Well, $500-$1000 and you have one.

Other3DMaster
08-14-2007, 02:50 PM
Ok Mac users are a bit difficult audience. First there was a cry for UB versions that were not available and now we want backward compatability for PPC. Thanks Apple!.

Uhh, what? UB, as stated several times, means Universal Binary, as in it contains both an Intel and PPC version; and Apple actually has a great track record of handling new CPU crossovers. It's not a matter of "now we want backwards compatability," it's a matter of saying your product is going to be UB, means that your product is going to run on both Intel and PPC. If that was not going to be the case, they would have said, Mac Intel only. Things that are Intel only don't use the UB moniker; UB by definition means both cpu types.

So now, based on the post from Vlado, it means that if Chaos gets its hands on a G5, they will test, otherwise it is Mac Intel only? This now sounds completely up in the air.

vitos
08-14-2007, 02:58 PM
And the odd thing is why Vlado hasn't got one G5 (or G4 at least) yet ? is it too expensive ? too hard to buy ?

lllab
08-14-2007, 03:04 PM
we said we work on it...
and we try the best to support PPC. it is and was always planned to do so.

no one said release will not have PPC support. we only said we run on intels at the moment.
such things change here on daily basis with the speed of the involved developers.

we also realize that there is strong demand for ppc here. also for keeping the PPC for netrender and DR option. so it will definitly come sooner or later, please dont worry!

cheers
stefan

sketchbook
08-14-2007, 03:17 PM
vlado, i would offer a ppc if i lived anywhere near you. who lives near vlado?

somebody pass out the offering plate.

Other3DMaster
08-14-2007, 03:28 PM
we also realize that there is strong demand for ppc here. also for keeping the PPC for netrender and DR option. so it will definitly come sooner or later, please dont worry!

Stefan,

This is just what I wanted to hear. While we will all go Intel in the future, the bigger thing for me was not being able to use the rest of my older hardware for DR purposes.

Thank you.

AdamT
08-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Will Vray4C4D run on my Windows 3.0 machines?

Just kiddin'. :p

Snapped this pic of the evil genius himself at Siggraph:

http://www.3danvil.com/temp/vlado.jpg

Sadly they were not showing VRay4C4D at their booth.

lllab
08-14-2007, 04:15 PM
;-)
on last day vlado showed it on laptop:-)
sadly there where some problems on the mainmachine with license file.

cheers
Stefan

scanmead
08-14-2007, 05:23 PM
Would you believe I was going to ask if anyone snapped a photo of the man, so I could see the face behind this beautiful software? Adam is a mind-reader. ;)

seco7
08-14-2007, 06:03 PM
What was Chaos showing? Just curious because I couldn't make it. Similarly, I would love to hear anyones opinions on what they saw in general. Did anything blow you away?

ooo
08-14-2007, 06:25 PM
Uhh, what? UB, as stated several times, means Universal Binary, as in it contains both an Intel and PPC version; and Apple actually has a great track record of handling new CPU crossovers. It's not a matter of "now we want backwards compatability," it's a matter of saying your product is going to be UB, means that your product is going to run on both Intel and PPC. If that was not going to be the case, they would have said, Mac Intel only. Things that are Intel only don't use the UB moniker; UB by definition means both cpu types.

Ok Master, I knew someone would bite on this. But what's the name of Mac software running solely on Intel? I know what UB means and I was talking in general. Like the cry about Adobe to deliver UB. And now we're past that there is this demand for a PPC-version of Vray wich is totally logical. But sooner or later there will be tools that are Intel-only I think (maybe there are already?).
But it seems there will be delivered a real UB-version so no more crying from anyone! :)
Thanks all!

odo

dan22
08-14-2007, 06:27 PM
Well, if it's Intel Macs only, there goes my preorder :(

Not sure when I'll have the cash to get a new workstation. The cost of updating from R9 to R10 is in addition to the cost of VRay for me, but if I have to add the cost of a new Mac to that as well, then it ain't going to happen this side of Xmas.

I really, really, really hope that VrayforC4D will be UB...hint hint.. pretty, pretty please, nice Messrs. Laub and Tarrabella....

Thank you!

lllab
08-14-2007, 06:37 PM
once again nobody says it is intel only at release...
cheers
stefan

vitos
08-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Well, that's the really good news, especialy today ;)

osxman
08-14-2007, 06:52 PM
once again nobody says it is intel only at release...
cheers
stefan
Thank you for those words Stefan! :)
Makes sleeping a bit easier.
----
Stéphane

Srek
08-14-2007, 07:15 PM
Ok Master, I knew someone would bite on this. But what's the name of Mac software running solely on Intel? I know what UB means and I was talking in general.
Actualy the name Universal Binary is a bit misleading. Technicaly a UB version of an application does not have to contain versions for x86 and PPC. It can contain both or only one of them. If it only contains a PPC version the application will be run on x86 systems using Apples emulation software Rosetta. A x86 only UB can not be run on a PPC mac though.
On an Intel Mac if you have a UB software that contains both you can actualy choose if you want to run the PPC or the x86 version of the software. By default the x86 version will be used.

Cheers
Björn

vitos
08-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Actualy the name Universal Binary is a bit misleading. Technicaly a UB version of an application does not have to contain versions for x86 and PPC.
I'm sorry but where than is the versality of the code ?
Every description of program says PPC, UB or INTEL. That's simple.
There is no x86 only UB or PPC only UB code as there is no mono-multi something.

ngrava
08-14-2007, 07:43 PM
I really think we need to just drop the PPC discussion now. We have heard from Renato, Stefan, Daniele, myself and even Vlado (the creator of Vray himself). All of us have clearly stated that there will be a PPC version. You know that it is just the "current" state, you know that it will be compiled once Vlado has a PPC Mac, you know that the Vray4C4D team is waiting for Vlado and you know that once they get it, it will be included in the release. There is absolutely no reason to think that there will not be a PPC version. Please stop this useless conjecture and talk about something more interesting.

Please don't take this the wrong way but, this simply has to be the end of that discussion.

cheers!

vitos
08-14-2007, 07:46 PM
Me be quiet :)

ngrava
08-14-2007, 07:50 PM
I'm sorry but where than is the versality of the code ?
Every description of program says PPC, UB or INTEL. That's simple.
There is no x86 only UB or PPC only UB code as there is no mono-multi something.

I think that Björn is saying that "technically", as a developer, you can actually compile a UB and have it only contain a single PPC or x86 version as an option. I don't know what benefit this would have but it is an option. I think That's why he said it's misleading. ;)

NicoAdri
08-14-2007, 09:01 PM
ngrava...

I thought you said in no uncertain terms to drop that discussion...and then you post more.

make your mind up!

artzfx
08-14-2007, 10:21 PM
The VRAYforC4D team have given us:

Sneak Peeks
Information and replies to all questions
Added numerous Feature requests during development
Committed to cover every C4D platform, PPC, Intel/Mac, PC "as stated"
Offered a "FREE" Pre-order for a discount
Integrated VRAY instead of a plugin
Arranged free tutorials, sample scenes, materials/shaders, forum, even a content provider Tools4D

Lets give them a fair go instead of a hammering.

Edit: rant removed.

vitos
08-14-2007, 10:24 PM
What is your point exactly ?

govinda
08-14-2007, 11:58 PM
I don't know but you're going to have to get up real early to bag post #2,000 when the time comes. Ricky here's camping on this thread for the sheer glory of it. :twisted:

diegoto
08-15-2007, 12:46 AM
Lets change the topic a little...

Stefan,

Is Ozone going to be compatible with VrayforC4D?

Thanks,

Diego

AdamT
08-15-2007, 02:05 AM
What was Chaos showing? Just curious because I couldn't make it. Similarly, I would love to hear anyones opinions on what they saw in general. Did anything blow you away?
Honestly I didn't hang around the Chaos group booth after I found out I couldn't see V4D4D. Overall I didn't see anything mind blowing at the show -- just incremental stuff for the most part. There were some very cool things in the emerging technology area -- an amazing 3D movie display, a device that would model your hands in real time when you put them in the active area and allow you to interact with scene objects, an incredible "digital paper" display....

But I didn't do an exhaustive tour of the exhibition, so I might have missed something.

castroman
08-15-2007, 06:38 AM
Snapped this pic of the evil genius himself at Siggraph:

http://www.3danvil.com/temp/vlado.jpg

Looks like vlado hasn't seen the sun in a long time, good for us I guess :)

lllab
08-15-2007, 07:49 AM
ozone, vue xtream etc are special external engines that hack into c4d somehow. they donnot use the normal c4d elements and are not compatible sadly with 3rd party engines. vue have needed a long time to get it run in c4d renderer, i dont know if they will decide to make it compatible with vrayforc4d.

you can make a hdri of your enviroment or sky in ozone and then use that in vray. thast what i do with ozone3. ozone isnt very fast also, for me i try to make some nice sky presets and render them on a reflective sphere and save them as hdri. theoreticly you can do this also with a moving sequence, but i havnt tried this yet.

cheers
stefan

artzfx
08-15-2007, 11:04 AM
I sent an email to e-on software about 6 weeks ago to make them aware of VRAYforC4D and asked if they had plans to enable VRAY to work with Vue xStream. They said that VRAY support for Vue was on their radar but had no confirmed time as to when this would happen.

RenatoT
08-15-2007, 01:13 PM
Looks like vlado hasn't seen the sun in a long time, good for us I guess :)

uhm... i don't know why.. but remember me someone :)

fretshredder
08-15-2007, 01:48 PM

:) Of course. Have we seen you? You might be in need of some sunlight as well ..lol

ngrava
08-15-2007, 06:55 PM

LOL!!! Yes, but we all know you are sitting on a beach in the Caribbean with your laptop and a bottle of Tequila. ;D

lllab
08-16-2007, 11:55 AM
"I sent an email to e-on software about 6 weeks ago to make them aware of VRAYforC4D and asked if they had plans to enable VRAY to work with Vue xStream. They said that VRAY support for Vue was on their radar but had no confirmed time as to when this would happen."

that would definitly be nice, lest see what future brings...
cheers
stefan

NicoAdri
08-20-2007, 11:10 AM
...uhm...we a long way off Stefan?

OSX?

Adri

lllab
08-20-2007, 12:52 PM
hi Adri,

no not long, on our page september is stated as planed release. so thats from 1.9 -30.9 ;-)
the average would be about 15th.

osx, yes. we now have only one version that is for both osx and win. ppc we try to get.

for all preorders:
preorder phase will end soon!

cheers
Stefan
vrayforc4d

NicoAdri
08-20-2007, 01:11 PM
hi

for Arch viz work and bearing in mind the features of VRay4c4d what would be the best C4D modules to get? We'll be buying the C4D package to give the best results for Arch Viz with VRay4c4d.

many thanks

adri

lllab
08-20-2007, 01:55 PM
well i always had the studio bundle, as i like to try a lo of things. so all is in it.

but if i think about it i would say certainly the mograph module for producing all kinds of repeating or semi repeating things. it is very handy and used much in my workflow.

then i like very much the sketch and toon module. i mostly render parts and 2d plans or sections with it. also sometimes wireframe or skecth like lines and composite them in psd.

maybe the new arch bundle makes also sense with this.havent checked it out yet fully.
also some hair generatorcan be usefull, either hair or Renatos fastfur are very good.
both render as polies in vray. i use fastfur for myself.

at the end the base package would eb ok too of course, it is a matter of budget at the end:-)

so if not studiobundle my favorites would be mograph and S&T....

cheers
stefan

scanmead
08-20-2007, 06:10 PM
hi Adri,

no not long, on our page september is stated as planed release. so thats from 1.9 -30.9 ;-)
the average would be about 15th.

osx, yes. we now have only one version that is for both osx and win. ppc we try to get.

for all preorders:
preorder phase will end soon!

cheers
Stefan
vrayforc4d

On your mark, get set.... Drool!

:drool:

rsquires
08-21-2007, 11:39 AM
I have a job coming up that I would like to make my first Vray job when it arrives in September. What I want to do is bake the textures on a stadium model with Vrays exterior lighting. Is this going to be possible?

regards

Richard

shtl
08-21-2007, 11:45 AM
I have a job coming up that I would like to make my first Vray job when it arrives in September. What I want to do is bake the textures on a stadium model with Vrays exterior lighting. Is this going to be possible?

regards

Richard

And if at least no baking is yet avaible in first release of VfC4d, will we be able to bake like Vray illumination within AR baking functions? Or are they two absolutely separated without linking possible?

lllab
08-21-2007, 03:26 PM
no baking is not possible, sorry.

it is also not very coomon in vray. this would cost more time than a full non baked animation.
vray is very fast a gi animation, you really dont want to bake that but use full gi with animation.

the only where t would make sense it for some realtime eniroments or games. for that we will try to support baking in later versions.

cheers
stefan

rsquires
08-21-2007, 06:43 PM
no baking is not possible, sorry.

the only where t would make sense it for some realtime eniroments or games. for that we will try to support baking in later versions.

cheers
stefan

That's exactly what I want to do.
regards

Richard

lllab
08-21-2007, 07:44 PM
well sorry rsquires,
there where many many things to do to make vray come to c4d.
we will look into this certainly for updates, but in first release we support many but not all features.

cheers
stefan

machmirdenlukas
08-21-2007, 09:27 PM
well sorry rsquires,
we will look into this certainly for updates, but in first release we support many but not all features.

cheers
stefan

hi stefan,
not really related but you`r for sure one of the most experienced vr4c4d-users on this planet:) :
i recently tried to improve my vray-skills by doing some tuts for vr4max till your vr4c4d comes out. is there an easy solution for LWF in combination with c4d?
i`m sure you have lot of others things to do, but maybe it´s already a common worflow.
cheers m

lllab
08-21-2007, 09:55 PM
i am not sure.
well the LWF thing is a hype on many vray forums since quite a time now.

but to be honest i am not absolute sure about it or has maybe not full understand it yet.
i have my screens fully calibrated and leave that so.

what is for sure a good thing is to use proper colormapping to get a real world light and to compensate the 2.2 gamma of most screens. and also to have all colors and textures not to light. you can use 0.4545 for gamma p.e. colormapping in vray is different to other engines as it is no posteffect but actually changes the gi calculation and sampling.

i also always use the physical cam and photomertic lights and try to stick to real world values.

as far as i understood it there is no easy way for any LWF. and there are also quite many different types and tipps everywhere on the web...

maybe cristian, our official vrayforc4d trainer can find that out and learn to us.
(i feel a bit too stupid for understanding LFW;-)
cheers
stefan

rsquires
08-22-2007, 08:48 AM
well sorry rsquires,

cheers
stefan

No need to be sorry. Vray for C4D will be a revelation for C4D users. I will have to rethink how I will approach the project

regards

Richard

machmirdenlukas
08-22-2007, 09:47 AM
i am not sure.
well the LWF thing is a hype on many vray forums since quite a time now.

but to be honest i am not absolute sure about it or has maybe not full understand it yet.
i have my screens fully calibrated and leave that so.

what is for sure a good thing is to use proper colormapping to get a real world light and to compensate the 2.2 gamma of most screens. and also to have all colors and textures not to light. you can use 0.4545 for gamma p.e. colormapping in vray is different to other engines as it is no posteffect but actually changes the gi calculation and sampling.

i also always use the physical cam and photomertic lights and try to stick to real world values.

as far as i understood it there is no easy way for any LWF. and there are also quite many different types and tipps everywhere on the web...

maybe cristian, our official vrayforc4d trainer can find that out and learn to us.
(i feel a bit too stupid for understanding LFW;-)
cheers
stefan

:) thanks!

Neil V
08-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Is this the same for Mac users who use the correct gamma of 1.8 not the incorrect one of 2.2?

cheers
stefan

lllab
08-22-2007, 03:03 PM
yes i guess for mac this would mean 1.8 of course.
but as said i just take this as a rough giudeline.
(0.4545 is 1/2.2 so on mac maybe 1/1.8)

cheers
stefan

MikeS369
08-23-2007, 03:47 AM
Is VrayforC4D still slated for a September release? I have been moving away from C4D but Vray may very well pull me back. I'm really looking forward to Vray.

lllab
08-23-2007, 07:15 AM
yes ,
sometime in september....
cheers
stefan

chris_b
08-23-2007, 02:03 PM
It would be great if we could put our heads together and get a tutorial on how to manage a Linear Float workflow in C4D. I have been meaning to delve into that for quite some time. With the current set of texture input gamma and render gamma controls we should have the necessary tools... Perhaps somebody working in film (Simon) might have a few good tips on the subject?

Here's a 3DSMax/Vray tutorial:

http://www.gijsdezwart.nl/tutorials.php

Simon Wicker
08-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Perhaps somebody working in film (Simon) might have a few good tips on the subject?

as far as i'm aware unless you have a floating point image (which is always linear) then cinema assumes your textures, etc are gamma corrected already. the last time i asked philip (Mr AR at maxon) he said that any messing around with the images/textures was not necessary.

i can ask again but i always assumed that if the textures looked the same in photoshop, in the cinema viewport, in the picture viewer and then opened up in photoshop after rendering then cinema was already doing the right thing (perhaps applying a correction to the textures prior to rendering).

cheers, simon w.

edit: i should mention that not everyone thinks that timo is correct with his linear gamma workflow web-site at AIM-dtp. charles poynton who wrote the gamma faq has had several disagreements with him in the past.

machmirdenlukas
08-23-2007, 03:19 PM
It would be great if we could put our heads together and get a tutorial on how to manage a Linear Float workflow in C4D. I have been meaning to delve into that for quite some time. With the current set of texture input gamma and render gamma controls we should have the necessary tools... Perhaps somebody working in film (Simon) might have a few good tips on the subject?

Here's a 3DSMax/Vray tutorial:

http://www.gijsdezwart.nl/tutorials.php

thanks for the link! good idea.
i just found a thread of chris nichols over at chaosgroup.com. he wrote:

"Found this, another paper on Linear Data. But this one is related to Raw Image capture. So it is a bit different, but I think it is good to see it from a different perspective than Rendering:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/pdfs/linear_gamma.pdf (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/pdfs/linear_gamma.pdf)"

cheers m

ThePriest
08-23-2007, 05:45 PM
*off topic question

I can't find the image in question, but somebody posted a VRay render with grass in the foreground, it looked like it had an alpha channel and multiple layers were used.

If it sounds familiar, could you possibly tell me where I could get this image?

machmirdenlukas
08-23-2007, 06:01 PM
*off topic question

I can't find the image in question, but somebody posted a VRay render with grass in the foreground, it looked like it had an alpha channel and multiple layers were used.

If it sounds familiar, could you possibly tell me where I could get this image?

maybe you`re looking for this site... "VRay render with grass in the foreground"

cheers m

ThePriest
08-23-2007, 06:17 PM
maybe you`re looking for this site... "VRay render with grass in the foreground"

http://www.c4dportal.com/~renatot/VrayBridge/tools4dimg.html (http://www.c4dportal.com/%7Erenatot/VrayBridge/tools4dimg.html)

cheers m

Yes, thanks.

And this is the grass...
Can I buy this as part of a texture cd or similar?

http://www.priest3d.com/cgtalk/grassinquestion.jpg

ooo
08-23-2007, 07:38 PM
I've seen that grass too. If I remember well it was done with displacement. Somewhere in this endless thread (soon to be published as a hard-copy book) there was some info on the making of the grass. Maybe the artist shows up here, otherwise there is some digging to do...

odo

cristiantumiati
08-23-2007, 07:39 PM
Hi ThePriest,

It will be included in the first volume of V[exteriors]4D with a lot of other textures and shaders.

When Vray for C4D will be released.
Currently we are working on these products that will go out in the following days to the release of the bridge.

Our goal is that to mainly create a portal like "evermotion" with resources of architecture for c4d and vray.

This is the link of our products related to Vray for C4D.

http://www.tools4d.eu/

Collections of, shaders, interiors, exteriors and videotutorial on VRAY for C4D.

C U soon with more info.......http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

cristiantumiati
08-23-2007, 07:47 PM
And this .........

http://www.c4dportal.com/~renatot/V...ols4dvideo.html

http://www.c4dportal.com/~renatot/V...tools4dimg.html

Also find them in the sections examples on the site of Stefan:

http://www.vrayforc4d.com/index.html

This links will be update with new images and videos in the next days.

BYE

ThePriest
08-23-2007, 07:48 PM
Screw the release, send it me now, I need TODAY

Signed

The Priest + 4 glasses of wine.

cristiantumiati
08-23-2007, 07:53 PM
Sorry ThePriest but is a resources for our products.......http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon9.gif

they will be sold to the exit of vray

RenatoT
08-24-2007, 12:51 AM
http://www.c4dportal.com/~renatot/V...ols4dvideo.html (http://www.c4dportal.com/%7Erenatot/V...ols4dvideo.html)
http://www.c4dportal.com/~renatot/V...tools4dimg.html (http://www.c4dportal.com/%7Erenatot/V...tools4dimg.html)

Cristian, these links are not working :(

Cheers
renato

Vidar3d
08-24-2007, 05:38 AM
september release!???

that is great news!!!

Jershaun
08-24-2007, 06:14 AM
September release!

Stefan, I must say you chose the best month to release V4D. ...Why?...

...Well, that's my BIRTHDAY MONTH http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

I've got a birthday present coming :bounce: Yipee!

Cheers.

osxman
08-24-2007, 06:19 AM
September release!

Stefan, I must say you chose the best month to release V4D. ...Why?...

...Well, that's my BIRTHDAY MONTH http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

I've got a birthday present coming :bounce: Yipee!

Cheers.
Same here!

BTW, any progress to report on the PPC-front?
----
Stéphane

cristiantumiati
08-24-2007, 07:36 AM
http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon11.gifSORRY.....now It's OK

http://www.c4dportal.com/~renatot/VrayBridge/tools4dvideo.html

Also find them in the sections examples on the site of Stefan:

http://www.vrayforc4d.com/index.html

This links will be update with new images and videos in the next days.

BYE

shtl
08-24-2007, 07:46 AM
Same here!

----
Stéphane

Well I guess september is gonna be the (Vray) birthday of manypeople here ^^

Hope my pre-order was correctly saved...:eek:

The final days, keep courage guys!

ooo
08-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Guess what, I also have my birthday in september. I suppose I get my copy for free now :cool:

odo

osxman
08-24-2007, 10:01 AM
...I suppose I get my copy for free now :cool:

odo
Good idea. Sign me up!

What do you say Stefan :p?
--
Stéphane

brammelo
08-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Guess what, I also have my birthday in september. I suppose I get my copy for free now :cool:

In that case I think we should all try to move the release date to december!

(I like BD-presents too :D)

rsquires
08-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Is anyone able to give me some ideas on using IES lights and how one sets them up in C4D. I just watched the movie that Renato linked to and it's very impressive. I understand the idea behind it and also see now why having scenes that are based around cm grids is important. Do you have to model the light and use that object as a light or can you use normal C4D lights converted to Vray IES lights. I can see a tidy little model library of real world lights being made if that is the case. I found a tutorial and it shows modelled halogen lights. If my thinking is right you have to model your scene in realworld dimensions to get accurate lighting effects. Also you have to measure how far lights are from surfaces to get the correct look.

I'd just be interesed in the workflow as it's all a bit new to me

regards

Richard

belushy
08-26-2007, 11:33 AM
It's as easy as setting the light color.

IEs lights are simple but but to choose and find the right one can be very tricky.

Ies light simply represent the area how light gets spread from a light source. I would see its a lightobject area. companys make them and they are based on a real world scale.
But there are so many ies files from different lamps. Of course you can choose the right one from your lamp manufacturer but renato made it even easier for us.
In Vrayforc4d
you need a light object and simply add the Vray light tag then it is possible to enable Ies Lights. What you now need is one or more of these files , Simply set he path to it and you will see the preview of it. There you can ajust the distance from the wall and multiplier factor. Those values make it easier to understand and select the right one ies file. Usualy you should not be able to ajust them because they represent a certain light spread from a speciefied light source.
Through this preview you can see what happens if you place the light in fron of a wall ore above a floor. If you are not satisfied with the ies 'light spread' you need to find adifferent one. The next button lets you load the next Ies in the directory and make life more easier. within some time you will have a favorite ies libary and the preview is the tool to see how they look like. the good point is that saving a Project also copies the Ies files used in the project.
of course you have to place the c4d light object in front of a wall or other surface to see the result of tose lightspred information. Its like a 3D light gobo

hope that helped for brought some light to the usage of ies lights

cheers belushy

rsquires
08-26-2007, 11:43 AM
cheers belushy.

I assume that we will be getting some IES light presets as part of Vray for C4D. Or will it work with existing ies files. What format would they be in?

regards

Richard

franz78
08-26-2007, 01:37 PM
hi Richard,
in vrayforc4d you can use all producer .ies profile.

best
Franz

diegoto
08-26-2007, 03:03 PM
... and the preview is the tool to see how they look like.

A friend of mine that happens to do use 3D Max was very surpised about IES preview in Vray4C4D, and told me that in order to get that preview in 3D Max you have to use separate plug in. We get that with the whole package!

Thanks Vray4C4D team! :)

RenatoT
08-26-2007, 04:23 PM
A little video with the Ies preview.

http://www.tarabella.it/C4D/VrayForC4d/newLightTag/newLightTag.html

Cheers
Renato

Edit: i'll make better front preview.. :)

ilay
08-26-2007, 05:25 PM
It's nice! Cool thing!!! :thumbsup:
i'll make better front preview..
Maybe needs to add ies-creating :lightbulb tool-dialog :rolleyes:
or ... ohh futureeee! :banghead:

RenatoT
08-26-2007, 05:29 PM
Hello IlaySHP,

there are some Ies Creator free around :)

Cheers
Renato

nycL45
08-26-2007, 07:19 PM
In general, I understand using ies data will give us more realistic looking lighting. Do we pick a lamp, say an A19 60w or a halogen MR16 20w with a 10deg or 36deg spread, and the ies is automatically plugged in? I do not recognize the ies data included in Renato's vid:

paulselhi
08-26-2007, 10:35 PM
you d/l the ies data for a specific lamp from the web

LemonNado
08-27-2007, 12:29 AM
In all the rendering engines I had in my fingers real world scale has to be applied when IES lights (besides other effects) are being utilized. If you look for IES editors you can find programs for the definition of IES lights. There are also quite a few ready to use librarys out there from companies who produce light fixtures. It's not only halogen lights. All sorts of lights are defined with their custom fall off and other IES definable characteristics. Using a nice halogen light definition (IES) sets intensity, color, fall off and gradients (like masks) automatically. Slap a row of halogen IES lights close to a wall and you have an instant cool effect. And so on.... Street lights and all sorts of metal vapor lamps (e.g. sodium) have been spotted.
Cheers
Rainer

rsquires
08-27-2007, 12:40 AM
I found some good resources for IES lighting. I guess since we're discussing it it can't hurt to have it in this thread.

http://www.cgarena.com/freestuff/tutorials/max/ieslights/index.html

http://www.lithonia.com/Library/IESFiles/Default.asp?Path=/Lithonia_Lighting

http://www.evermotion.org/?unfold_exclusive=86&unfold=exclusive

Can't wait till September

regards

Rich

sketchbook
08-27-2007, 10:50 AM
did i read this correctly, that all scenes need to be in cm for IES to work properly? all my scenes are in inches.

rsquires
08-27-2007, 01:16 PM
did i read this correctly, that all scenes need to be in cm for IES to work properly? all my scenes are in inches.

The way IES light data is calculated relates to real world dimensions. So when making a room for example instead of making it 2ft wide by 3ft, you'd make it 20ft by 30ft. Whenever I make stuff I pay no interest to measurement whatsoever. That of course will have to change once I start using IES lights. If you use IES light data it will only be of use if the environment it is used in is to real world scale.

Please correct me if this is wrong but this is how I understand IES data to work. I also figure that you could change measurement from cm's to inches or do a simple conversion.

regards

Richard

sketchbook
08-27-2007, 03:23 PM
well, that's hopefully what i wanted to hear. i have all my files the correct real world dims, i just am wondering if the cm settings for the IES will convert the units inside of vray, or if i need to convert those numbers somehow.

thanks

laurent
08-27-2007, 03:26 PM
Hmmm, real world size and relative scales (cm/inches) are two different things, when real world size objects (from CAD software) are imported in cinema they're tiny, tiny little things.
When you change objects relative scales (cm/inches) in cinema they remain the same size, if you do that in rhino it ask you if you want to change the size accordingly.

fluffouille
08-27-2007, 04:00 PM
Joe, if you want to work at cm measures for the IES lights, just model in inches, as usual, then place all your objects inside a Null Object and divide its scale by 2.5. This will scale everything back to centimeters when you are ready to render.

sketchbook
08-27-2007, 04:14 PM
scale doesn't work for all objects however does it? will it scale a rig?

fluffouille
08-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Yes, there are some limitations. The Joints and Bones will be scaled, but not certain types of constraints, depending on how you set them up.
So you'll probably need to go into a bit more trouble for these.

jackb602
08-27-2007, 09:51 PM
Hopefully Vray for C4D will be smart enough to recognize the units we've chosen in Cinema's preferences. Can anyone on the team confirm this?

fluffouille
08-27-2007, 10:26 PM
Yes, IES size depends on the units used in the preferences.

jackb602
08-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Yes, IES size depends on the units used in the preferences.

Cool, good news.

castroman
08-28-2007, 06:46 AM
@fluffouille
in terms of workflow, how do final render and vray compare?
I am asking as it looks like you are on the beta team(saw vray in your video over at cebas)

dan22
08-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Sorry to be thick, but will IES files work on Mac ?

Thanks.

D.

MarkRD
08-28-2007, 09:24 AM
I would also like to ask the same question as Castroman!

I have been following Vray4C4D for 18 months now. I noticed Sebastian's additional tut's & have always been impressed by Fr's 'apparent' workflow elegance; not to mention the material shader tree sophistication.

Specifically, how stable is Fr SP3? - is there a list available of 'known issues'

Are users (still?) having issues with installation/registration (can't find original thread related to this over at 3d attack but you MAY know what I am getting at!)

Fr appears to be 25% cheaper (in $A dollars) than Vray4C4D. Some clarification on multiple workstation useage would be great. I never recieved a response from Cebas about costs for Distributed rendering.
Does Fr allow rendering to exr format?
Thank,s & hope the questions aren't redundant for this forum!

Srek
08-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Please don't dillute this V-Ray thread with fR questions, it's already long and complex enoguh without extending it to other renderers.
Cheers
Björn

Other3DMaster
08-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Sorry to be thick, but will IES files work on Mac ?

Thanks.

D.

Of course they will. In fact, the upcoming modo 301 (os x and windows) allows the use of IES files.

MarkRD
08-28-2007, 11:10 AM
A fair point Srek...sorry, got carried away with the Vray pre-release tension!
Perhaps if I re-phrase the issue thus-

You would appreciate that as the 2 renderers have a great deal in common, it
would be of interest hear, at this stage, of the specific benefits that Vray may bring to C4D given Sebastian's experience with Vray & fR .
This is as much a legitimate technical request as it is for financial reasons.

I trust that you understand; I would expect many C4D users to be in a similar position.
Thanks.

fluffouille
08-28-2007, 06:11 PM
I'm going to record a few video tutorials for Vray as well, so that should answer your workflow questions.
For the rest, please post in a new thread or directly in the FR forum ;)

shtl
08-28-2007, 06:16 PM
I'm going to record a few video tutorials for Vray as well, so that should answer your workflow questions.

You betcha'

Also hope you'll make one in french ^^

MarkRD
08-28-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks Sebastien, those tutorials will be excellent I'm sure.

castroman
08-28-2007, 10:47 PM
For the rest, please post in a new thread or directly in the FR forum ;)

great, love your tutorials. good way to get an inside look into what is possible with external render packages.

MarkRD
08-28-2007, 10:49 PM
As with native C4d lights, if we use Vray area lighting, do we still have the option of non-area shadows?

ie select hard, shadow-mapped or area shadows?
Thanks

fluffouille
08-29-2007, 02:14 AM
Area lights use area shadows only, but you have the option of storing them into the irradiance map, which will then make them lightning fast to render. Of course, their shadow quality will then be linked to the GI quality, but GIs in Vray are so fast that's it's an option you will want to use often.
Area shadows render very fast compared to AR, though, since all GIs, shadows and blurry effects samples are controlled globally.

IES lights can have either area or raytraced shadows.

franz78
08-29-2007, 06:20 AM
Hi to All,
this is my lates image made on a OSX With Vrayforc4d.
The illumination is by PhySun and Sky + one area as a rim Bank.
The material are with full procedural approach with varius layered c4d shader.

This scene will be included in V[interiors]4d vol1 the first collection of complete interior scene, with illumination, shaders, and render settings for real production images.
www.tools4d.eu (http://www.tools4d.eu/)

Best
Franz

PS for Renato & Daniele, very impressive Work! :-)

Hi res: www.sertecoitalia.it/areariservata/Interiors_8_osx.jpg (http://www.sertecoitalia.it/areariservata/Interiors_8_osx.jpg)

choppir
08-29-2007, 08:16 AM
Looks great Franz! :thumbsup:

rsquires
08-29-2007, 11:11 AM
I cannot wait for Vray for C4d any longer. I am going crazy. That image Franz is great. And even better to know it's done on OSX

all the best

rich

MarkRD
08-29-2007, 11:24 AM
That's one uber image Franz, can you tell us the number & Mhz of CPU's involved to get the 116 minute render time?

I really geeked-out over the 'circles of confusion' on the rear tiled wall :)

nycL45
08-29-2007, 11:43 AM
"VrayBridge Osx 0.999.99" Hubba, hubba.

Very nice, Franz. Thanks.

brammelo
08-29-2007, 04:22 PM
Hi, I have a question about IES and refraction in Vray4C4D. Take a look at the attached lights/fixtures. It's a design by Axel Meise (www.axelmeiselicht.de (http://www.axelmeiselicht.de)). The colored effect comes from a dichromatic color filter, the focusing of the light comes from a lens. The manufacturer has IES files on his website, which is cool. But IES only handles the light distribution (and its intensity), not the color refraction that is so typical for these lights. Is there a way to mimick this in Vray4C4D - but with the use of the IES? I know ways to mimic this in C4D, but that takes a lot of time and tweaking. Perhaps there's a fast way to do this with Vray4C4D?

snoofis
08-29-2007, 08:58 PM
I was looking forward to Vray to C4d...until I saw the price. You guys should really cut this in half if you want this to be a success. Seeing as how you can buy the full vray for 3ds max, Rhino and Sketchup at $799 u.s....I find it a little ridiculous that you are charging $1080 u.s. that's even more expensive that the basic C4D10 price.

I think you are forgetting that many people turn to C4D in the first place because it's very cost efficient compared to the other packages....and these are the same people you are trying to sell this plug-in.

There's no way I'll be able to get my company to purchase a plug-in that is more expensive than the actual program it's used for.

cut the price...you'll sell more

dann_stubbs
08-29-2007, 09:10 PM
I was looking forward to Vray to C4d...until I saw the price. You guys should really cut this in half if you want this to be a success. Seeing as how you can buy the full vray for 3ds max, Rhino and Sketchup at $799 u.s....I find it a little ridiculous that you are charging $1080 u.s. that's even more expensive that the basic C4D10 price.

I think you are forgetting that many people turn to C4D in the first place because it's very cost efficient compared to the other packages....and these are the same people you are trying to sell this plug-in.

There's no way I'll be able to get my company to purchase a plug-in that is more expensive than the actual program it's used for.

cut the price...you'll sell more

you know that includes a full license of VRAY right? so it is not just a plugin

dann

snoofis
08-29-2007, 09:27 PM
I still don't understand how you can justify the price when all the other versions are $799

LucentDreams
08-29-2007, 09:31 PM
and if I understood things right its an unlimited node license right? I'd say its a pretty good price for a renderer.

ThePriest
08-29-2007, 09:35 PM
I still don't understand how you can justify the price when all the other versions are $799

Try having already bought VRay and then factoring in the additional cost of VRay4Cinema

vesalus
08-29-2007, 09:35 PM
the justification is quite simple, the developpement is made in europe, so the price in euro is around 700 euros or something, but as the US dollar is quite weak nowaydays, that make the currency exchange quite costly for US consumer...

dont forget that the reverse is also "valuable", microsoft for instance charges europeean licence fees far more than Us one, just check the price tag on a Us and a french shop for vista for exemple, make the currency conversion and you'll see the margin difference

here its a simple problem of currency conversion

dann_stubbs
08-29-2007, 09:36 PM

would you pay $300 for the plugin to use VRAY? i would - so that is essentially what you are getting. the other option is llab (and others) could have NOT spent the past year working on this and we would not have VRAY as a (soon) option

it also does include the ability to run with as many NET licenses as you have - maxwell and FR2 and others all need additonal seats.

basically it comes down to if you can't afford or justify it - don't buy it - and please don't start an ungrateful bitch session since there are many users who are very happy about all the effort that llab (and others) have put into this.

dann

JoelOtron
08-29-2007, 09:41 PM
I believe the the pre-order discount is still in effect (was it 599 euros?). It will be ending soon if it hasnt already.

nycL45
08-29-2007, 10:01 PM
If the pre-order is 599 Euros, that translates to US$816 (http://www.exchangerate.com/quick_calculator.html?amount_from=599&calc_short_from_iso=EUR&calc_short_to_iso=USD&Submit=Convert)

dan22
08-29-2007, 10:05 PM

Well, think of all the money you're saving on petrol (gasoline) - $1.94 a litre is what we pay here in the UK. (approx 3.5 litres to a US Gallon, I think)

Sales tax in UK (VAT) is 17.5% on most goods, apart from food...

A small flat in London starts at $600,000... etc etc...

Llab and Renato need to earn a living wage for Italy and Austria...Maybe for Vlado life in Bucharest is cheaper?

You don't do too badly in the US as far as the general cost of living goes.

And no-one is forcing you to buy Vray4C4D. Get Vray for SketchUp if you'd prefer.

Cheers,

D.

JoelOtron
08-30-2007, 12:13 AM
SORRY--just double checked IIlab's site

Its not 599. Dont know where I got that from.

670€ preorder ($913)
790€ after release date is announced.

(wheres that euro key...?--edit --found it.)

LemonNado
08-30-2007, 01:38 AM
I was looking forward to Vray to C4d...until I saw the price.

Take the Bus then!
I will have the render enigne paid for by clients within the first 10 images...
Rainer

fluffouille
08-30-2007, 02:34 AM
(wheres that euro key...?)
Ctrl+Alt+5.

As everybody said, you get two products, not just one, and with a truckload of rendering node capability.
This kind of pricing will be cushioned on a few jobs, when you compare how much time you save on rendering alone.
It can even pay for itself on one animation job.

Maybe not the ideal pricing, but hardly something that can't be afforded by a company.

Ernest Burden
08-30-2007, 02:36 AM
I will have the render enigne paid for by clients within the first 10 images...

Oh yeah? I can do it with one...

Arch-vis--sell your soul, but get a good price TM.

I would rather the product was cheaper, but its certainly worth a lot to any professional artist. Who would be happier if we paid for our software with a percentage of our sales?

osxman
08-30-2007, 06:49 AM
I'm only a hobbyist, and not a rich one either, but I figure that I'll finally get some rendering done in the little free time that I have.

Sure, I would have liked it to be cheaper but this is still a dream come true – having the possibility to start a render or two before I go to work or bed and be able to enjoy it/them when I come home again (I render large print-size images).

Today I'll sometimes have my computer locked up for days for one render and still feel that it's a compromize in quality. Not to mention the hours of tweaking that will be cut down because of faster test rendering.

I say that if you're serious about what you do with your time, and you're not a total n00b – this is probably going to be the closest thing to render-heaven on earth for C4D-users. Well, at least until the next big thing comes. And at the rate that theese things "grow" it'll probably be a while.

Any progress on the PPC side, BTW?
Please?
Pretty please?
--
Stéphane

Tank_3D_Attack
08-30-2007, 01:10 PM
I always found it amusing that people bitch about pricing yet they can afford Cinema 4D? Software development costs money since it's WORK these people do. They usually don't get paid upfront so they don't see a lot of money coming in until the software is done and out for sale. The price of Vray for C4D is in my opinion just fair.

If you can't afford it, well don't buy it. Nobody forces you to buy software. Maybe some folks should look at buying software as an "investment". If you are a freelancer or own a company you will have to use software. Software has it's price which you will have to pay for by doing jobs. Simple like that. Everybody does it.

As hobbyist you might not be in that position but if you really want it, well I guess you will save up money or wait for christmas ;)

Actually, I feel bad for even replying to this rant from "fill name in here". The price shouldn't even be a discussion point. I for myself (and most here) are very thankful for what Renato and co are doing, especially since I am a Mac user (PPC).

Thomas

Ernest Burden
08-30-2007, 01:22 PM
The price shouldn't even be a discussion point. I for myself (and most here) are very thankful for what Renato and co are doing

From a professional standpoint, this bridge is quite reasonably priced. If I really wanted to use vray with C4D I could have hired Renato to write the connection for me, and it would have cost tens of thousands of dollars (or more) for all his time. So instead I get the same result for a few hundred dollars above the vray licence. To me, that's incredibly cheap.

The price of things are always an issue, and I understand that it can be a big hurdle for some people. Just because you don't have a lot of money doesn't mean you don't want to do big things, so its a stress.

scanmead
08-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Yes, it *is* a stress. But it's not the pricing that's the issue, it's the exchange rate. A whole other can of worms. Bad politicians! Bad bankers! ;)

Even as an hobbyist, my time is worth something, and not having to spend days on render settings is worth the cost.. maybe.. I think. We'll see.

osxman
08-30-2007, 10:34 PM
...As hobbyist you might not be in that position but if you really want it, well I guess you will save up money or wait for christmas ;)...
That's one of the great things with the early anouncement of this product. I've had plenty of time for saving up the required cash :).

And, for once, I'm lucky to be living in Europe :).
--
Stéphane

ngrava
08-30-2007, 11:20 PM
Just remember that Renato and Daniele have been working day and night for over a year now with no pay to bring you this plugin. Think of it this way: you are supporting the independent development of V4C. Nothing more satisfying then knowing exactly where your money is going. :)

ThirdEye
08-30-2007, 11:45 PM
Hi to All,
this is my lates image made on a OSX With Vrayforc4d.
The illumination is by PhySun and Sky + one area as a rim Bank.
The material are with full procedural approach with varius layered c4d shader.

This scene will be included in V[interiors]4d vol1 the first collection of complete interior scene, with illumination, shaders, and render settings for real production images.
www.tools4d.eu (http://www.tools4d.eu/)

Best
Franz

PS for Renato & Daniele, very impressive Work! :-)

Hi res: www.sertecoitalia.it/areariservata/Interiors_8_osx.jpg (http://www.sertecoitalia.it/areariservata/Interiors_8_osx.jpg)

Nice but i'd increase the dof, currently the only thing in focus is the second basin :S

LemonNado
08-31-2007, 01:31 AM
Oh yeah? I can do it with one...

Arch-vis--sell your soul, but get a good price TM.

I would rather the product was cheaper, but its certainly worth a lot to any professional artist. Who would be happier if we paid for our software with a percentage of our sales?

Yeahhh.... but then again .... you have ten times more arch viz skill than I do... so I need ten images ;).

Rainer

PS: I was in your neck of the woods today buying lumber....

MikeS369
08-31-2007, 02:02 AM
I was just reading the Chaos forum (I haven't been to that web site in quite some time) and saw all these threads about dongles and the problems people were having acquiring them.

I'm just wondering if this has all been worked out for VrayforC4D? Who are we going to get our dongle from and are we going to have to pay an additional fee to acquire the dongle?

Maybe this has been hashed out in this thread but I just don't have the time to read the entire thread.

Thanks,

Mike

One more question. It sure sounds like the dongle is a hardware dongle and not a software dongle. Can anyone tell me what type of dongle will be required?

ngrava
08-31-2007, 02:52 AM
Vray for C4D will not have a dongle. Only serial number.

-=GB=-

MikeS369
08-31-2007, 03:37 AM
Vray for C4D will not have a dongle. Only serial number.

-=GB=-

I'm not talking about the bridge. What I am concerned with is whether or not Vray itself will require a dongle.

Hopefully you mean that we won't need a dongle for the bridge or Vray.

Thanks,

Mike

JoelOtron
08-31-2007, 03:44 AM
I'm not talking about the bridge. What I am concerned with is whether or not Vray itself will require a dongle.

Hopefully you mean that we won't need a dongle for the bridge or Vray.

Thanks,

Mike

The bridge and app are one. Its integrated into c4d. No dongles at all as far as I know.

MikeS369
08-31-2007, 04:59 AM
I hope you are right. Because it's a mess over at Chaos.

franz78
08-31-2007, 06:16 AM
Nice but i'd increase the dof, currently the only thing in focus is the second basin :S

Hi ThirdEye,
you are rigth, i will tune my Dof.

Thanks
Franz

lllab
08-31-2007, 08:52 AM
Hi,
no dongle is needed for our product.
vray is integrated fully into our product.

cheers
stefan
vrayforc4d.com

MikeS369
08-31-2007, 05:39 PM
Thanks everyone for clearing that up for me.

transformav
08-31-2007, 07:36 PM
Question. Will Vray support archvision rpc content??

ilay
09-01-2007, 04:36 AM
if i something missed
And what about support of 64-bit platforms?

lllab
09-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Hi brammelo,

i think you can just open one existing ies file you want to use with one of the free editors, we provide a link to a good one, and alter the parts where you want the cromatic aberation.
then make 3 variations of it and use 3 ligths with 3 colors(RGB p.e.)

this should give a similar effect as in your image.

our ies ligths can use colorfilters, so you can easiliy give them any color you want, not only the predefined one.

rpc i cant say yet, depends if it uses textures, then it should be ok, if it uses extra hacks then probaly not. when i bought the rpc plugin for c4d it didnt even work good in c4d as i remember, so i never used it really.

64bit will be probably in an update a bit later. i am not sure the current is compiled yet. i ask Renato.

cheers
stefan

ThirdEye
09-01-2007, 10:35 AM
Hi, i see from the Vray manual online that Vray doesn't use its irradiance engine for secondary bounces, you can only use QMC (stochastic), light cache or photon maps. Am i misunderstanding this? If i'm right, does anybody know why irradiance isn't used for secondary bounces? Thanks.

ilay
09-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks Stefan!
When will update your site with great news? :hmm: :)

ilay
09-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Hi, i see from the Vray manual online that Vray doesn't use its irradiance engine for secondary bounces, you can only use QMC (stochastic), light cache or photon maps. Am i misunderstanding this? If i'm right, does anybody know why irradiance isn't used for secondary bounces? Thanks.
1. Vlado removed irr.engine from secondary engine's list...i don't remember from kind of sdk version.
2. example: lux.modo has irr.cashe for first "steps" of rendering too.
3. Maybe needs to look at history of vray development(or rendering engines) in tech docs
---
P.s. Alberto or Björn, can your attach this post to previous?

ThirdEye
09-01-2007, 11:31 AM
Sorry for the order of the posts guys, the whole cgtalk forum seems messy since yesterday. I've reported the issue and we'll see what the admins can do.

ThirdEye
09-01-2007, 11:35 AM
from what i undestand vrays gi engine is quite different to all others.
the IR Map for the secondary GI doesnt make sense for some technical reason, as far as i understood it.

I gave the Vray docs a look and it seems its irradiance method is both quite particular and quite normal. Basically it computes a few prepasses with different resolutions, assigning draft samples to the simple areas (like large walls) and precise ones to difficult areas like corners and such. In this sense it's adaptive.
I also had a look at Cebas' new fR aQMC, i checked the vids on the Cebas usa website and... it seems identical to Vray's irradiance, the settings are the same (also aQMC in fR can't be used for secondary bounces either, you have to use QMC or lightmaps). I guess they cloned Vray's irradiance.

ilay
09-01-2007, 12:09 PM
maybe need to create "we proudly announce: (VRAY for CINEMA 4D) - part 2"/i write about some bugs of time-posting////we reach to limit&!

brammelo
09-01-2007, 01:13 PM
I know it's not fancy to quote yourself, but could someone from the tester or developer group take a look at this question? I'm really curious how you would solve this in Vray4C4D. If the question's not clear, please let me know, I'll try to rephrase it :)

Hi, I have a question about IES and refraction in Vray4C4D. Take a look at the attached lights/fixtures. It's a design by Axel Meise (www.axelmeiselicht.de (http://www.axelmeiselicht.de)). The colored effect comes from a dichromatic color filter, the focusing of the light comes from a lens. The manufacturer has IES files on his website, which is cool. But IES only handles the light distribution (and its intensity), not the color refraction that is so typical for these lights. Is there a way to mimick this in Vray4C4D - but with the use of the IES? I know ways to mimic this in C4D, but that takes a lot of time and tweaking. Perhaps there's a fast way to do this with Vray4C4D?

Image can be found here:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=117550

paulselhi
09-01-2007, 02:19 PM
sorry due to a cgtalk time warp this post was a repeat of a later future post !! so i have/will edit it out..err done..or will be done or maybe i am doing it