PDA

View Full Version : we proudly announce: (VRAY for CINEMA 4D)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

lllab
04-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Dear C4D users out there,
Dear Users wishing for a Vray connection to Cinema4D

It's true, a bridge to the genious Vray renderengine- called VRAYforC4d is getting developed!

because of our own urgent wish to have Vray to our Plattform we have initiated the development about 2 month ago, there is still some month of work before us, but things are looking good. it is a project from c4d users for c4d users...we try to make it as good as possible:-)

Because we dont want to hide secretly we wanted to make this public as soon as possible, so you can plan your c4d future and investments. it shall be a transparent development!

For the "early birds" or those who want to actively support our development there is also a possibility to help us. - It just takes a few minutes and costs nothing yet, as a thank you you get a reduced price on the final product.

For more information please read my announcement on:

http://www.vrayforc4d.com (http://www.vrayforc4d.com/)

with the best wishes
Stefan Laub
LAUBlab
Vienna

(p.s.: please oversee all the mistakes and typos, english is not my motherlanguage;-)

Rich-Art
04-24-2006, 03:50 PM
Man this is great news...

Bookmarked......

Peace,
Rich-Art. :thumbsup:

bobtronic
04-24-2006, 03:53 PM
This will make alot of users happy I guess. Good luck with the development.

Bob

iamjens
04-24-2006, 03:57 PM
wow, thanks for the news :bounce:

michaeli
04-24-2006, 03:57 PM
Great news! Thanks for sharing !

unseenthings
04-24-2006, 04:01 PM
I don't have an immediate need for this, but I absolutely see the benefit of having it. Cinema is gaining momentum, and I love it!

Good job, and good luck with the development, as Bobtronic said :)

vesalus
04-24-2006, 04:29 PM
howdy ho, that is great news, wish you good luck and hope it wont be out in 2 years... :buttrock:

feel3d
04-24-2006, 04:54 PM
First of all fantastic news!!! And your site looks great with lots of good info!
But i need to be the first that comes with a question. What about the people that have bought expensive Mac QuadCore's (myself included)? Hope you don't mind asking...

sunmade
04-24-2006, 04:56 PM
Hey Stefan

finally it is official !!! ;-))))

checking out your site...right NOW ;-)

Stain777
04-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Well this is fantastic news! It looks like it's time for me to put-up or shut-up.

:)

VICCHEN
04-24-2006, 05:20 PM
Great News!

Hope Mac's version development as same time too!

sunmade
04-24-2006, 05:26 PM
I've pre-ordered right away.

No risk there, nice pre-order policy Stefan!

ooo
04-24-2006, 05:26 PM
This is amazing news! I'm very impressed with the way you initiated this project, found the right developer (Renato!) and now have a very transparent roadmap for the final product! Very glad to hear about all the support you get from official parties! Way to go!
One question: is there a possibility for a Mac-version or is that a bridge too far? I know with Bootcamp it can run on a Intel-Mac, but a true OSX-version would be the best news!

Cheers to all involved!

odo

MrBraun
04-24-2006, 05:28 PM
Great news Stefan!! :applause::applause:

seco7
04-24-2006, 05:33 PM
Great news, thanks.

Sorry to be such a noob, but who is Renato?

Opelfruits
04-24-2006, 05:34 PM

I LOVE YOU, i dont know what else to say

Srek
04-24-2006, 05:41 PM
Good news :)
I'm looking forward to see what can be created.
Cheers
Björn

feel3d
04-24-2006, 05:47 PM
One question: is there a possibility for a Mac-version or is that a bridge too far? I know with Bootcamp it can run on a Intel-Mac, but a true OSX-version would be the best news!

Many thanks for your hard work Stefan and all of you! My question is the same as odo!
If OSX wil be included, than you have my pre-order to!

Srek
04-24-2006, 06:03 PM
Check the webpage, they went to lngthes describing the possibilities :)
Cheers
Björn

jddog
04-24-2006, 06:03 PM
If OSX wil be included, than you have my pre-order to!
ha... a good problem here. Not so sure that Vray will come on OSX...
but for this I will be agree to use a Windows computer :D
jdd

moka.studio
04-24-2006, 06:04 PM
:) ... it's official!

lllab
04-24-2006, 06:05 PM
Dear Users,

first thank you for your kind replies! very nice:-)))

regarding osx: the development of Vray itself is not in our hands sorry, at the moment they finish the version 1.5, to be honest i would not count on an osx version in near future.

but the bridge is quite possible for mac, we investigate this. so you could write out renderfiles and then render them under a bootcamp- winxp enviroment.

beside that there is the virtualisation technology in the macintel pcs, so they are able to run winxp or linux at the same time as osx- this might also be a o.k. solution.

if we want to believe the rumours, osx 10.5 might even run win apps nativly beside cacoo or carbon apps, then the probs are solved anyway, but thats speculation for 2007;-) then osx would be the winner anyway...i know, very wild speculation...

i will you keep updated as i have more news , ...

cheers
Stefan

francescaluce
04-24-2006, 06:13 PM
but sorry where's the vray1.5 standalone ? and a couple
of months to get a commercial bridge done ?? mmh.. you're
being a bit optimistic. also a bit obscure to me is that 'us'..
who are you ? :) an architect firm or a software company ?

ciao
francesca

lllab
04-24-2006, 06:16 PM
i have the 1.5 standalone already;-)
( a pre version of course and the sdk)

i dont know if you are programmer, i am not of course i am just a user as everybody else here, the information about the timeframe is not invented, but from info we got from maxon and chaosgroup and the programmers, also comparing time that was needed by other products available for c4d. i tend to believe the programmers, it is a step by step process.
dont forget that the whole renderengine is already finished. that does not mean that there isnt a lot of work to be done, but it is not like writing a whole new thing.

basic connecting is very fast, basic geometry transfer already working after some days, deeper connection takes longer. a connection like maxwell is doable quite fast, a connection like final render took some month i was told (by Mr Tillmann), hope this is right.

As i said i wont promise a release date, lets see...

cheers
stefan

and yes i am architect, but not the programmers...( i hope at least;-)

francescaluce
04-24-2006, 06:25 PM
so good luck, my friend. :)

ciao
francesca

lllab
04-24-2006, 06:39 PM

cheers
stefan

Stain777
04-24-2006, 06:39 PM
regarding osx: the development of Vray itself is not in our hands sorry, at the moment they finish the version 1.5, to be honest i would not count on an osx version in near future.

but the bridge is quite possible for mac, we investigate this. so you could write out renderfiles and then render them under a bootcamp- winxp enviroment.

Not a bad option at all for many instances. I've got an OSX version of C4D, but my PC sitting next to the Mac could run Vray from the output file. Placing the work of rendering on another machine would be a great benefit for me.

While it's a bit kludgey for quick test/render, at least it's an option for those who don't have/want to get a Win version of C4d (or until Vray comes out in OSX).

sunmade
04-24-2006, 06:43 PM
FYI

I'm on a MAC as well.

Hope to see a native os x version.

lllab
04-24-2006, 06:44 PM
i prefer the idea of the virtualisation enviroment, it runs at full speed.

i will ask my brother, he is a unix and in the last time osx geek, he told me there is development already working to run any intel cpmpatible OS "on top" of a host os-osx on macintels.

as said we investigate this, i was along term mac user myself (and might get a macintel myself gain:-)

cheers
stefan

sunmade
04-24-2006, 06:47 PM
yes, maybe virtualisation is the answer.

i hope apple will eventually put it into leopard, but if not :

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/mac/

Per-Anders
04-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Good and exciting news indeed!

Good luck with it, hopefully this should make everyone all contented now (till the next must have render engine appears) :D

ooo
04-24-2006, 06:52 PM
Thanks for all the answers Stefan!

BTW: wouldn't it be better to post this also in the main threadsection. Although I believe the subforums are coming to life lately, I think a lot of users will miss this thread. Or am I wrong?

odo

sketchbook
04-24-2006, 07:01 PM
this is awesome! thanks stefan and team!

guess i won't be selling that windows version of c4d after all!

lllab
04-24-2006, 07:23 PM
ok ooo, maybe you are right,
i will post a link to this thread in the main forum,

cheers
Stefan

chris_b
04-24-2006, 07:24 PM
Very exciting times. I am certain the whole C4D userbase will be behind you... helping you make this connection as powerful as possible. Really great to hear that Renato is invloved. I use his software on a daily basis and have found it to be very reliable and excellently designed.

Magnus3D
04-24-2006, 07:41 PM
Very good news! :D i'd say.. better late than never!

Cheers!

/ Magnus

JamesMK
04-24-2006, 07:44 PM
Cool news!

Good luck with the development, bug hunting and all that :thumbsup:

jntdigital
04-24-2006, 08:01 PM
got room on the credit card man, bring it on.:thumbsup:

AdamT
04-24-2006, 08:07 PM
Exciting stuff--great job Stefan!

AdamT
04-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Er, unfortunately I can't see any text on the site--just frames and empty buttons. I have the latest flash player/plugin. Using IE for PC. Suggest you offer an html version.

Jorge Arango
04-24-2006, 08:20 PM
Great news Stefan. You forgot to put the currency for prices in the web page. Is it euro, dollar...?

Jorge Arango

Jorge Arango
04-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Er, unfortunately I can't see any text on the site--just frames and empty buttons. I have the latest flash player/plugin. Using IE for PC. Suggest you offer an html version.

Same happened to me with Safari. Worked with IE on the PC.

Jorge Arango

Simon Wicker
04-24-2006, 08:27 PM
well this is very good news indeed for the c4d community.

as a mac user i would purchase this if there was a native os X version of vray without much thought. however if i would have to run vray under windows (either via bootcamp or virtualization) then i would probably hold off and see what maxon come up with for AR3.

one of the big reasons i bought maxwell was the supposed c4d/os X support, wouldn't want to miss that with vray.

cheers, simon w.

ooo
04-24-2006, 08:36 PM
Same happened to me with Safari. Worked with IE on the PC.

Jorge Arango

Strange. For me it works alright with Safari. But I have to say it worked only the second time I entered the site. The first time the buttons refused to work. Flash can be a bit quirky...

odo

lllab
04-24-2006, 08:53 PM
Hi Adam, Hi Jorge,

sorry you dont see it, strange we have tested it under osx safari (10.2 and 10.4)and also i se it under IE under winxp?and win 2000.
are you sure you have the lates flash plugin?

do you see the first html page? the stat page is html with link to flash plugin download place.

we will see if a html version is possible, but not too soon, sorry.

cheers
stefan

michaelj
04-24-2006, 09:05 PM
I would be very happy if it would support C4D 8.5, but as it's 9.6 (9.1 maybe) only, I really can't justify upgrading with the added cost.

It's a real shame, as I can't be the only one who'd love to use VRay, but doesn't need all the latest C4D 'enhancements'.

Jorge Arango
04-24-2006, 09:24 PM
Hi Adam, Hi Jorge,

sorry you dont see it, strange we have tested it under osx safari (10.2 and 10.4)and also i se it under IE under winxp?and win 2000.
are you sure you have the lates flash plugin?

do you see the first html page? the stat page is html with link to flash plugin download place.

we will see if a html version is possible, but not too soon, sorry.

cheers
stefan

Sorry Stefan. I upgraded Flash and everything is fine. (Safari, Firefox, 10.3.9).

About the price, is it Euros or Dollars?

Jorge Arango

lllab
04-24-2006, 09:35 PM
Hi Jorge,
good to hear it was solved.
the project is based in europe, Austria and Italy,
our currency is here is euros, so it is meant in euros, i will correct this tomorrow.

cheers
stefan

ps. Michaeli, i am not sure if 8.5 is technical possible, but be sure we want to make it as compatible as possible, we will investigate this!

ThePriest
04-24-2006, 09:43 PM
YES!! I'm so glad I piped up about this when I did.
Llab, I want to just say, you're man with the masterplan and thank you so much for taking this project on board. If it goes to plan, it will change my work life and others for ever more.

Good luck Brother.

:buttrock: :applause:

lllab
04-24-2006, 09:44 PM
For the mac users here, Renato just reasured me that a mac version of the bridge plugin is possible, so at least for the people willing to use one of the stated solutions it will be possible to use vray.

Simon, thanks for your interest, but realisticly a macosx version of vray cant be expected this year i guess. before that osx will incorporate the win API i guess.

we will keep mac users updated on this subject:-)

cheers
stefan

sunmade
04-24-2006, 09:55 PM
MAC support is MUCH appreciated!

cheers

lllab
04-24-2006, 10:06 PM
well, as said mac support can only be at the bridge side for the first...
please dont expect too much, i cant change to plans of chaosgroup.

cheers
stefan

c-hri
04-24-2006, 10:21 PM
great news, stefan. I'm sure, Renato will do a fine job, too! :thumbsup:

Simon Wicker
04-24-2006, 10:32 PM
hi stefan,

it seems that you must have developed a certain relationship with the chaos group to have come this far in the development of the vray bridge so hopefully you can pass along the extremely enthusiastic support for vray on os X from the cinemac users.

while maxon have never released official breakdowns there have always been the rumours of a rough 50/50 split between mac/pc cinema users (unlike max and maya which i am sure are heavily skewed towards the pc or linux).

chaos group could certainly maximise their profits from a cinema version of vray by supporting mac.

cheers, simon w.

Matariki
04-24-2006, 10:41 PM
I am happy when I can create the vray file on the mac and then send the file to the PC. If we get pixel accuracy between AR and Vray I can actually have quick preview renders using AR before I sent the stuff over to vray. I can live with that workflow, have done worst. At least till I upgrade from my Quad G5 to a IntelMac.

Preordered!

MikeS369
04-24-2006, 11:43 PM
This is the best news I've heard in quite some time. Count me in, pre-order sent.:buttrock:

AdamT
04-25-2006, 12:34 AM
Sorry Stefan, for some reason the site is working fine now. I didn't change anything, so I don't know what the deal is. Maybe the Flash upgrade needed a restart?

Anyway, it all looks great and I'll put in my preorder as soon as I get back to Miami.

Zendorf
04-25-2006, 03:25 AM
Really interesting news! It is amazing what the momentum of enthusiatic c4d users can acheive.....moving virtual mountains:twisted:

Even though I have Final Render, I am not that happy with the gi animation output(though it is sure to improve). I will be particularly interested to see how well VRay works with animation, as most works I have seen form it have been beautiful still shots....

dann_stubbs
04-25-2006, 03:39 AM
very interesting news stefan! and great job on getting renato to work on it - if i had faith in someone to do it - it would be him.

i'm glad to hear the possibility of mac output too since my main workstation is OSX, and i will support VRAY on RenderKing too - i hope the details on VRAY are cleared up a bit more as it feels like all that confusion from FR where how many CPU's or is it computers the licenses are good for and then what features are in the full seat vs. the distributed render seats (of i can figure 10 DR per 1 seat if i get it right - but not sure of any differences between features)

i don't see much info on the chaos group site but is standalone support in the future going to extend beyond max? i.e. maya or xsi?

very exciting to see this development - the hush that has fallen over the production bundle and it's support of output to PRM and Air has had me wondering a little about what other options there might be for C4D.

dann

dann_stubbs
04-25-2006, 03:46 AM
whoops of course after posting i got deep enough into their site to find this

http://www.chaoticdimension.com/pr/20051122_01.html

but i don't see any info on seats or licenses and DR details except for the very short bit on your site - can't find any details of what you get for $799 - i guess third party render engine companies have difficulty being clear on these details...

dann

pzdm
04-25-2006, 05:38 AM
I added Stefan/Renato great news to our 3dsoftware.cz forum. We have few very active czech users and they are very hungry for it. Great!

lllab
04-25-2006, 07:30 AM
thanks a lot!
& all of you of the very nice comments!

thanks pzdm:-) sounds good!

great Dann! Vray will work nice on your farm i am sure. DR in vray is available for loong time, they have flattened out all the bugs and it is a stable solution, there are also possibilities to start&restart them from a main computer with some scripts.

The Standalone of Vray is not so much a offical product now, but developed parallel to the normal Max-Vray at the same level. we already have a perfect working pre version in our sdk.

the licenses will at least support 10 DR pcs, how and if it might work with netrender we will investigate. for a netrenderlicense you will not have to pay the full price. DR is free for 10cpus.

Adam good to hear it works now:-) i havent changed anything too.

cheers
Stefan

lllab
04-25-2006, 07:41 AM
Dear Simon:

yes this is a good idea, i will try,
but from some comments from vlado i think he believes the mac will soon run everything anyway. i will support the Mac as much as possible,

i had been working on macs myself since 1991, switched in the bad g3/g4 ages to PC but are really thinking of switching back to a 4+core powermac for my main machine next year. so also for myself i would like to have it run nativly under osx. We will investigate all solutions in meanwhile, maybe also wine could be working?, we will test and keep mac users updated.

my brother also is a osx developer, i will bring him into the team for this special task.
i will think about ideas...

cheers
stefan

belushy
04-25-2006, 07:51 AM
I'm so happy it's out!!

In fact it's so promising that i Just preorderd 2 of them.

Dear stefan, i will support this project as good as I can.

All thumbs up

cheers Belushy

Tschuldigung für den web Tip vorhin, bitte nicht böse sein (-;

feel3d
04-25-2006, 08:04 AM
Great to hear that Stefan!!! That makes me very happy since i started this Mac OSX issue!!!
Its clear that you have been right person from the first moment on! Many thanks fot that!!!

STRAT
04-25-2006, 08:10 AM
i've never used vray before, but would certainly entertain the fact.

i bought FR2 for c4d a good few months back, but it's still basically in it's box, because i find it over complicates itself on all it's rendering options to choose from, and is most unstable when rendering over a network.

i hope vray wont go the same route. the reason i switched to c4d originally was because of it's simplicity and it's ability to knock out beautiful renders at the same time. there's pissing and faffing about with the AR2.5

lllab
04-25-2006, 08:52 AM
Hi strat,
no vray is a little bit more straight forward. if you want you just set GI on, on preset medium or high or animation (there are some presets)...

for users that like to tweak and tweak you can adust of course all settings in detail.
and also networkrendering is very stable in Vray.

@Belushi/ Florian

hey, thanks a lot, i am not angry at all- no prob:-) in ca. two days i get a new toy to play from Renato, wanna pass by next days;-)?

cheers
Stefan

lllab
04-25-2006, 09:03 AM
i just talked with Renato,

We are both of the opinion that we will go the more mac friendly, flexible version ( there are 2 possibilities) to connect the things...

i think this is the right decicion.

cheers
stefan

Opelfruits
04-25-2006, 09:07 AM
FR has problems with the way cinema exports geometry and anything over 2 million polys and things come to a stand still. how will the bridge handle huge amounts of polys?

STRAT
04-25-2006, 09:16 AM
and also, how faster are you hoping or expecting vray to be than c4d?

will it be worth a punt as far as speed savings are concerned?

lllab
04-25-2006, 09:16 AM
FR has the problem because the geometry is "doubled" in the memory by the ways it works,
(not really cebas fault) they are working with maxon to solve this i heard.

in the way we do the connection , only "one side" is activly using the memory, so no double memory use! this fact was very important for me. you should be even capable of closing cinema while rendering...

as a second Vray is also available as 64bit in the sdk and the bridge will support all cinema 64bit plattforms of cousrse, so actually there will even more of memory.

cheers
stefan

Matariki
04-25-2006, 10:23 AM
that sounds very exciting, lllab. Excellent that you are thinking of us mac users and opted for the more flexible solution.

I can't wait! (Just joking)

Katachi
04-25-2006, 10:26 AM
All the best for the development! :thumbsup:

talos72
04-25-2006, 06:08 PM
Well, I can't check out the site ufortunately as I use linux at work and vray flash site does not play well with my browser.

Can someone post how much vray for C4D is?

Thanks

Jorge Arango
04-25-2006, 06:37 PM
Well, I can't check out the site ufortunately as I use linux at work and vray flash site does not play well with my browser.

Can someone post how much vray for C4D is?

Thanks

Eur 799 excl VAT.
Eur 670 for preorders.
(Includes bridge).

Stefan:

What's the date limit for preorders?

Jorge Arango

lllab
04-25-2006, 06:59 PM
Hi jorges,

the date limits for preorders isnt fixed yet, but i will post the end of the reduction price early enough so still everybody can decide- dont worry...

cheers
stefan

ooo
04-25-2006, 07:18 PM
what happened to my earlier post?

I asked about an hour ago about example files and got an reply from Stefan. But now these posts are gone! Did I say something wrong?

odo

lllab
04-25-2006, 07:33 PM
i think you mixed up the threads, there are 2 vray threadys here, as far as i remember you asked me in the other thread here;-)

cheers
stefan

P.S.: i would recommend using this thread here so thatwe dont mix things up

ooo
04-25-2006, 07:38 PM
Shame on me! Sorry for the confusion. I already looked in the other thread in the mainsection but had forgotten about the VRAYbridge thread. Too much information for my brains. I think I need some sleep!

odo

talos72
04-26-2006, 02:47 AM
Just emailed my pre-order. The Vray gallery has some really nice clean renders...couldn't resist. :)

jackb602
04-26-2006, 04:01 AM
This is brilliant news Stefan! Count me in as another very interested Mac user. I know you don't control development of Vray, but since you are in contact with their team, please pass along our strong interest in having an OS X version of Vray. Since Vray will be available for Linux, and OS X is built on Unix, I wonder how big a leap it would be to bring Vray to the Mac?

Another way to look at it is that, if Vray becomes available for OS X and Cinema's 50/50 split is about right, you'll be able to double your sales quite easily!

Jack

ooo
04-26-2006, 08:36 AM
Hi Stefan,

Concerning the trouble some people may have with the Flash-content on your site I read about the possible reason. Microsoft seems very recently to have been forced by a lawsuit to make a change in the way embedded Flash-content is shown. It has to be activated by the user by clicking first. There seems to be a way around this. Here are the details:

http://www.baekdal.com/articles/Technology/microsoft-ie-activex-update/

No biggie but a little bit annoying

odo

lllab
04-26-2006, 08:42 AM
Thanks ooo,

until now only one person had contant problems, adam and jorge could fix it...
Thanks for the link i will have a look at it.

We use a ready system for the page that i have let made for my new firmwebpage that will come soon too, it has gone through a lot of testing, this is the first time it some problems came up, probably due the upgrade to version 8.

we have a tight budget, so for the first i have to use what is available here for us:-)

cheers
stefan

lllab
04-26-2006, 08:49 AM
i just mailed with Vlado some things,

there might be the good news for osx users,vray seems to be programm verygood, dont know if i cant to say more now;-)

as far there is actual news i tell you.

cheer
stefan

sunmade
04-26-2006, 08:53 AM
very good news!!

VERY ;-)

If I had known that before, I would not have been happy to see bootcamp...

Best to stay as far as possible inside OS X and the MAC.

yippijei

ooo
04-26-2006, 09:04 AM
That would be very good news indeed! Wow! Thanks for all this extra effort for the OSX-version :applause:
Now I have no reason to delay my pre-order! After Maxwell and FR2 (OSX) I'm a bit more cautious, but I have a very big trust in this project!

odo

lllab
04-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Hi All,

reagarding emails and answers, we got soo many mails, thank you very much. I will answer step by step, so please dont worry if it takes some time, hope you understand:-)

cheer & thanks
Stefan

Blur1
04-26-2006, 02:31 PM
I know this is a bit of a "me too" comment but this is great news. Soon Vray will be available for every major app. I'm not expecting it to come out on OSX but if that's possibly changing in the future then fantastic.
I've been sold on this renderer ever since I comped all VRay stuff on this project at Animal Logic. Here's a taste:
http://www.animallogic.com/design/CN/index.html

Michael

flingster
04-26-2006, 05:21 PM
good luck with this and a great initiative by you anyways just hope you can pull it off. watching with great interest.:buttrock::applause::buttrock:

edit: like this transparency you promise.

MJV
04-26-2006, 08:58 PM
For more information please read my announcement on:

http://www.vrayforc4d.com (http://www.vrayforc4d.com/)

The site doesn't work here. Just some Flash cubes and no text or pictures.

ooo
04-26-2006, 09:10 PM
The site doesn't work here. Just some Flash cubes and no text or pictures.

Just try again. It seems to do the trick at the second visit.

MJV
04-27-2006, 03:44 AM
Tried Mac, PC, and three different browsers. No luck.

Jorge Arango
04-27-2006, 03:52 AM
Tried Mac, PC, and three different browsers. No luck.

Did you upgrade to flash 8?

Jorge Arango

MJV
04-27-2006, 07:16 AM
Yes, that was the problem.

lllab
04-27-2006, 09:32 AM
I am sorry we cannot make a pure html solution at the moment, we have tested under most common condition, there it works.

there seem to be a few older version8 flash plugins around, maybe it helps installing flash8 again? sorry for the inconvinience...

cheers
stefan

edit: good to hear it works now:-)

lllab
04-27-2006, 09:33 AM
flingster thanks, i will try to do the best...

Renato is working intense on the bridge.

cheers
stefan

moka.studio
04-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Very exiting Stefan, I need to send you a mail - now it is my turn though to be under a deadline.....
jp

lllab
04-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Hi all,

some info:
we will at the end of next week beginning to send out the first round of the preorder codes.
everybody that has preordered will recieve a mail mail with the personal preorder code. it is just quite a number of mails, so please be patient.

nice weekend

cheers
Stefan

vbvcvj
04-28-2006, 05:11 AM
Great, that's a very exciting news !

dfa
04-28-2006, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the info.

Great News

lllab
05-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Dear Users, Dear people who already preordered:-)

first i want to thank all you all for the great number of support, this gives us extra power to work on the project!

Regarding the preorder-codes:
i have to fix some things on the system we use for sending out the first round of the personal unique codenumber for the price reduction, and i also have to finish a renderproject until tomorrow night. so if you wonder, the code will be send out around end of this week.
Please keep all preorder codes on a save place, we also have a backups here to be safe.
(of course it will be still able to preorder- this is just the first bunch of codes)

Regarding development:
Renato is doing great success with more speed than i expected, the raw base translation is done. He now starts incorporating the vray shaders into c4d. the output is already pixelecaxt to cinema camera (p.e. matching with S&T).
Also thanks for the Big number of people willing to help and betatest VrayforC4d, very nice!
i hope i can post screenshots of VrayforC4d in action on our Project site "soon";-)

With Best regards
Stefan Laub
VrayforC4d.com

kossoolli
05-08-2006, 02:38 PM
That sounds really great. I'm looking forward to see the first pics!!!

lllab
05-08-2006, 03:39 PM
well, yes its good, but dont forget, for a finished product there is a long to do list still...

But i am very happy that the basics did work out good for Renato, hope he will be able to go on like this. the images i will test will be very basic at first, but i have seen him rendering even complex jenna hierarchies already:-)

hope next week i can show first basic things...

cheers
stefan

acmepixel
05-08-2006, 04:46 PM
I notice in the Details section it says that it will run on an Intel Mac. does this mean it will work with a Mac version of Cinema?

AdamT
05-08-2006, 05:13 PM
Anyone know if it will be possible to use VRay for Rhino and VRay for C4D with a single VRay license? At the moment it seems you can't buy the plugins separately....

belushy
05-08-2006, 05:57 PM
I asked for Max licence and the answer was that the bridge is not included,
but Vray 'might' run on the same VR License server so it might be posiblle but illegal.

lllab
05-08-2006, 06:32 PM
i have to ask Vlado for this.
but i guess Chaosgroup or asgvis wont give their connections away for free...
they also invested very much work on this.

i will find out, but better dont count on too much, the only thing i could imagine is that you get the other connection for a reduced price. but please understand this is not in our hands...

if there is a possibility it will be a legal one, it depends on chaosgroup.

cheers
stefan

AdamT
05-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Okay, don't worry too much about it. I was just thinking I might get started with VRay early if there was some kind of option. :)

flingster
05-08-2006, 08:55 PM
lllab i know you have been around a long time and renato is fairly new to c4d but has a wealth of other experience...what worries me slightly is investing quiet a large amount of money upfront without knowing this is likely to be a long term commitment...what i mean is lets say you guys move on to bigger better things then where will it leave us with continued development dead in the water or will it revert back to vray and they can pickup where you leave off...no easy feat but at least not left high and dry so to speak. I quiet fancy investing in vray but its a not inconsiderable amount of money...maxwell bit me on the ass and i don't really want it to happen again...at least with maxwell i can still render without being reliant on their plugin...fortunately since i'm not convinced there heart is in developing the c4d bridge/plugin. This is not an attack on what you're doing because i think its a great initiative i'd just like some assurance to ease my mind a little over the long term. You can understand my worry hopefully over one developer being in control and any future transition...i obviously want you guys to make it viable but i also need an assurance that i'm not just gonna get left out later on. any info on this would be nice..cheers.

lllab
05-09-2006, 08:23 AM
Dear Flingster,

i understand your concerns of course.
But from my view the vray development is very well seen as a long term thing. We wouldn't invest so much into it if we would not see it paying for a longer time.

We would be stupid not to keep it, as it seems to be great interest in it, and we surely will try to get our investments back;-). As long as there will be Vray developed from Chaosgroup, and as long as there is interest by cinema users there will be the connection to c4d.

the only bad thing that could happen is that discreet is buying us for a million or two;-)

no just to say it short, i cannot imagine dropping vray, it is too good and i wished too long for it. in contrary we plan to update it and make it better with each release. the version 1 will be just the beginning:-)

cheers
stefan

vesalus
05-09-2006, 10:18 AM
just curious, as vray standalone isnt yet available, do you think both c4d plug and vray1.5 app will be available within this year? :p

i'm quite enthusiast about it, but beeing amongst those who have wait two years for maxwell
to become ( hum) V1.0, i dont want to light up to quicly...

:thumbsup:

lllab
05-09-2006, 11:37 AM
well we have a 1.49.xx version already, including a sdk... so its almost finished.

the answer is yes i am sure both will be available:-)

cheers
stefan

feel3d
05-09-2006, 11:42 AM
Oh boy, thats great news!
I would love to see some renders with time info!!!

lllab
05-09-2006, 12:21 PM
the standalone is almost finished, the bridge is still a lot to do for Renato;-)

it is too early for images out of cinema, the standalone itself has no interface, so it needs the bridge first. (it can render vrmesh files made from 3dmaxversion though.)

a little patience;-)
- i show things soon it is possible. i will also produce tutorials of course who to do cool GI renderings, this tutorials will be bundled with VrayfoC4d.

for rendertimes you can look at any Vray rendered image you find on the internet- the renderengine is the same.

cheers
stefan

jackb602
05-09-2006, 06:33 PM
Sounds like you guys are making great progress Stefan. I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but since you have good communication with the Vray people I want to cast my vote again for a native OS X version of Vray. I wonder if a petition would make a difference? Thanks again for taking on the VrayforC4D project.

Jack

lllab
05-10-2006, 08:16 AM
Hi Jack, i did talk to Vlado, and yes(!) all the questioning did actually made a difference already;-)

can't say more about it yet i guess,...yet.

cheers
stefan

sunmade
05-10-2006, 08:21 AM
...Stefan...this is ...I'm gonna cry...can we MAC people really be that fortunate?

(whipes a tear away...)

Just imagine the future Headlines: "VRay for MAC is available!"

mhhjamm mhjamm

me excited! VERY!

Stefan, Vlado & Co you are incredible!
gracias

lllab
05-10-2006, 09:17 AM
well be sure it will take some time, first they finish 1.5 for pc...
before you will have to use the workarounds.

cheers
stefan

jackb602
05-10-2006, 06:28 PM
Wow, that's great news Stefan! One way or another, I'll be a VrayforC4D user soon.

Jack

lllab
05-10-2006, 09:05 PM
nothing fix and nothing official yet...
also no timeframe, so i would celebrate when its really done;-)

cheers
stefan

michaeli
05-11-2006, 02:55 AM
Little OT, Vray vs Maxwell vs Nikon
http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15231

http://www.kunstunit.de/download/vray.jpg

http://www.kunstunit.de/download/maxwell.jpg

seco7
05-11-2006, 04:46 AM
Nice test Michael, I would be interested in the V-Ray statistics if you have them. If I remember correctly, the Maxwell render took 10+ hours.

michaeli
05-11-2006, 05:15 AM
seco7, sorry for the confusion, it's not my test, the Vray test was done by Monumedia and the Maxwell test and Nikon photo was done by Jomaga.

lllab
05-11-2006, 06:18 AM
i estimate vray took a view minutes instead of 10 hours:-)

cheers
stefan

thev
05-11-2006, 07:43 AM
Nice test Michael, I would be interested in the V-Ray statistics if you have them. If I remember correctly, the Maxwell render took 10+ hours.So did the V-Ray rendering since it was using regular ppt mode. However, this particular scene can be optimized to be a lot faster.

lllab
05-11-2006, 09:11 AM
...can be optimized to be a lot faster."

i guess so...:-)

cheers
stefan

vbvcvj
05-12-2006, 05:50 AM
Great, can wait to see the first pic by C4D+Vray ! :D

massi131
05-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Good and exciting news !

www.rtmstudio.it (http://www.rtmstudio.it)

ronhondo
05-12-2006, 05:34 PM
Attaching, got the preorder code. What do I do with it?

lllab
05-12-2006, 05:59 PM
keep it on a save place.
when its ready it will save you money.

Those people who have a preorder code will get a reduced price.

by the way we have sent out about the half of the preordercodes, the rest will come next days, so dont be worried if you havent recieved yours yet.

nice weekend
cheers,
stefan

Fötus
05-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Hello everyone I just read through this thread and I'm really happy that someone is finally doing this.
I can't wait to get the testversion, to do some real cool renders.

kossoolli
05-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Any news for vrayforc4d?? Or any pics???

kossoolli
05-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Come on now, the last post was made so long ago that you must some news for us! And the last update on the website was done one month ago!

lllab
05-23-2006, 04:40 PM
dear kosso olli,

Renato is hard working, please have some patience. there are many parts to do.
the farther the project will be the more there will be to show, but first we have to give Renato some time to do all the translating and hundreds of options& features have to be implemented step by step.

about the progress-state: Renato send me just a new testversion,
basic material and light translation works nice, objects, UVW space, phong, also real-textures, this is done via a tag for brdf materials at the moment, he now translates that into a powerfull vray material. the testversion is very solid, at the moment restricted to 800x600px.
he is making very good progress, but as said vray has a lot of features, this takes some time to do...

hope you understand that, as soon there is interesting new info i will post here as promised.

with best regards
cheers
stefan

ooo
05-23-2006, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the update Stefan!

I was wondering, will you send out new codes for preorders? I preordered about two weeks ago I think.

Thanks again!

odo

lllab
05-23-2006, 08:37 PM
yes, we havent send all preorder codes out yet, (it is done in "packages")
i will post when all are sent.

so dont worry, you get it:-)

cheers
stefan

kossoolli
05-24-2006, 06:41 AM
Good to hear that you make a lot of progress with this project. Keep up the great stuff!

Greetings

kosso_olli

jondoe0ne
05-24-2006, 07:41 AM
show us some test renders. please... :bounce:

jondoe0ne
05-26-2006, 02:26 PM
also i would like to know if the preorder can be made without an internet card, and via bank payment (eg swift) and how will things work when delivery starts.... llab?

thev2
05-28-2006, 08:52 PM
Here is an interesting image for you: http://www.spot3d.com/vray/images/osx/osx.png

Best regards,
Vlado

ooo
05-28-2006, 09:21 PM
Here is an interesting image for you: http://www.spot3d.com/vray/images/osx/osx.png

Best regards,
Vlado

Wow, how cool is that! Excellent news!!! :thumbsup:

odo

lllab
05-28-2006, 10:07 PM
@ Vlado :-))))))))))

@jon don one, in special cases i will also make it possible with bank transfer. You can simply contact me then.

cheers
stefan

michaeli
05-29-2006, 01:32 PM

Best regards,
Vlado

Cool, great news !

sunmade
05-29-2006, 06:20 PM
Hey Vlado,

GREAT to see this!!

VRay on OS X...

I think I'm actually calling my first born Vlado... ;D or Stefan ;)

Keep up the good work guys!

cheers chris

Ernest Burden
05-29-2006, 06:41 PM
I think I'm actually calling my first born Vlado... ;D or Stefan ;)

Or, if a girl, call her Hope

sunmade
05-29-2006, 06:54 PM
Or, if a girl, call her Hope

;-)

or Naive...no, Hope is better.

More positive! ;)

Yeah, we Maxwell users are burnt children...

chris_b
05-29-2006, 10:11 PM
Wow.... Vray for OSX is going to make a LOT of people happy. Awesome.
It will be so nice to have a such a solid piece of software become a standard across packages and platforms.

Per-Anders
05-29-2006, 11:20 PM
awesome news vlado, i'm looking forward to seeing what people come up with once they have their paws on this.

vesalus
05-30-2006, 12:20 AM
awesome news vlado, i'm looking forward to seeing what people come up with once they have their paws on this.

flicker free realistic interior animation in hours or days, not weeks for example :p :wip:

jackb602
05-30-2006, 03:23 AM
Brilliant news Vlado! I think you're going to pick up a lot of former Maxwell & Final Render customers.

sunmade
05-30-2006, 03:52 PM
Brilliant news Vlado! I think you're going to pick up a lot of former Maxwell & Final Render customers.

Y E S !

A LOT !

You can sign in at the bottom of the page ;)

Robert Glotzbach
05-30-2006, 08:04 PM
I have some noob questions.

Until now I did some very basic things in C4D; still learning this great apparatus, although I did read some threads about rendering techniques and played a little bit with AR2,5 in the demo, I know nothing about it besides the standard render engine in C4D.

Now, I was asked by a small company to do some visualization of some furniture that they designed, so I’m a kind of preparing to see how I can make this work in a nice way.

So, the point for me is, will I need a another renderer, and if so which one?

I had a look at some renders made with vRay and was quite impressed, I feel attracted to take this route, but before I decide to jump, there are some thing I would like to know.

First: will I be able to do multipasses for After Effects like in the core renderer, and how (if) will that work?

Second: Is it true that vRay will not be able to render out all materials from C4D but that I can or should use materials from within vRay?

Third: If I have vRay, will I be able to handle everything that I would be able to handle with AR 2,5 or will I miss some of the features from AR2,5. For instance, would it be more complicated to use HDRI’s in vRay then in AR2,5?

If someone knows a good article about all this, I would appreciate hearing it.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards, Robert

Opelfruits
05-30-2006, 08:10 PM
Robert -

You will be able to render out passes, but vray will not set this up automatically for you in after effects

My guess is that you will have to use vray materials, maybe basic cinema attributes such as colour will work but things like glow etc etc will not be compatible.

you can use hdri's in vray

Martin Kay
05-31-2006, 05:55 PM
there's pissing and faffing about with the AR2.5

Hi Strat, what exactly do you mean by that? What don't you like about AR2.5?

Martin K

Robert Glotzbach
05-31-2006, 06:06 PM
Robert -

My guess is that you will have to use vray materials, maybe basic cinema attributes such as colour will work but things like glow etc etc will not be compatible.

Thanks Opelfruits, so then I will need to learn how to make materials in vRay even before I master it in C4D. Will it be very different / more difficult?

Thanks,

Kind regards, Robert

helluvapixel
05-31-2006, 06:58 PM
I wanted to ask a potentially stupid question.. when we order the vray-for-c4d does this actually include the standalone vray? Do I have to still purchase vray over and above vrayforc4d??

lllab
05-31-2006, 07:08 PM
vray is included of course.

it is one package containing all you need to render, plugin+standalone.

cheers
stefan

Rich-Art
06-01-2006, 06:18 AM
Sounds great, but just for a hobby it is far beyond my possibilities unfortunately.
Or my wife must be in a real good mood. :scream:

Peace,
Rich-Art. :thumbsup:

helluvapixel
06-02-2006, 07:29 PM
vray is included of course.

it is one package containing all you need to render, plugin+standalone.

cheers
stefan

Thanks Stefan,

Hopefully you can answer this one... but will vray bridge support the composite tag functions that we have in c4d? Support for background, foreground and sky objects?

lllab
06-03-2006, 09:42 AM
i have to ask Renato,

but from what i would say fore & background is unlikely, these are AR specific things.

for the compositing tag i think there will be similar function in vray, not sure yet in which form they will be implemented.

sky is also a cinema specific thing, but is actually just a big sphere, so i think it can be supported or translated in a similar thing.

please be clear than a external renderengine is a system of its own. AR specific things can only be tranlated if there is really a one to one similarity in the external engine.

i am sure Renato will do his best to give us a great render engine for cinema. such a bridge is not a normal small plugin but a very complex and detailed thing to do. Renato does great success with this, but he has a huge "to do " list with such a project:-)

so please understand i cannot answer such details really now. if it is possible within reasonable effort it will be in.

cheers
stefan

ThirdEye
06-03-2006, 01:15 PM
i have to ask Renato, but from what i would say fore & background is unlikely, these are AR specific things.

they have been introduced in C4D long before the birth of AR, i remember using them in v5.

lllab
06-03-2006, 06:40 PM
sure true, i mean the cinema native renderengine, most people call it AR these days...

cheers
stefan

LucentDreams
06-03-2006, 07:27 PM
background, foreground, and sky object are all dynamic scene/camera based geometry.

Background is a plane scaled to fillt he background and be place behind all objects in the scene, foreground make sure its between all objects and the camera and covers the screen, and sky is a sphere that automatically scales to encompass the scene.

lllab
06-03-2006, 07:31 PM
if these are translateable in geometry i guess they can be supported, but as i said, i have to ask Renato for this, he is the specialist.

cheers
stefan

kossoolli
06-11-2006, 12:55 PM
Any news so far?

georgedrakakis
06-11-2006, 03:40 PM
hey Stefan,
is it possible to include support ies (or lvk) data file format in the new render engine?
i mean, is there a way for vrayforc4d to include real-world light specifications?
to tell the difference between i.e QR 111 50Watt and a fluorescent tube of 54Watts?
i think that lots of architects would like that feature.
this would make our favourite presentation tool into a working tool.

sabwab
06-12-2006, 07:35 AM
i thought that the software was VRAY.. here are the features>> http://www.chaosgroup.com/software/vray/features/

and the Bridge, is a different plugin, programmed to use the already existing features so wont add anything to it.

probably?

lllab
06-12-2006, 01:08 PM
hey guys,

sorry i have been terribly buissy last days and weeks.

about ies- would be great to have, i have to check that if it is included in the standalone or not. would be definitly a plus. it depends if it is "just" a thing that is available in vray standalone already and can be linked to with the bridge. have to ask Renato for this, if it is possible...

cheers
stefan

georgedrakakis
06-12-2006, 01:14 PM
i thought that the software was VRAY.. here are the features>> http://www.chaosgroup.com/software/vray/features/

and the Bridge, is a different plugin, programmed to use the already existing features so wont add anything to it.

copy that. i really did.
and pasted paragraph IV:

IV. Illumination
(*) Physically accurate full global illumination solutions
(*) Different GI algorithms: path tracing, irradiance cache, photon maps, light cache.
(*) Reusable GI solutins for accelerated rendering of walk-through animations.
(*) Physically accurate area lights.
(*) Extensible with custom lights through the V-Ray SDK

maybe it's that Physically accurate area lights feature that i'm looking for.
it would be great to have an opinion from someone who's using max+vray.
cheers,
george

georgedrakakis
06-12-2006, 01:27 PM
hey guys,

sorry i have been terribly buissy last days and weeks.

about ies- would be grat to have, i have to check that if it is included in the standalone or not. would be definitly a plus. it depends if it is "just" a thing that is available in vray standalone already and can be linked to with the bridge. have to ask Renato for this, if it is possible...

cheers
stefan

there is a free app called "terrabrush" that can import *.lvk files (simiral to i.e.s files) into c4d via image format.
then apply the texture into the transparent channel of an omni light.
the thing is that in this way you can have extremely accurate light distribution (i.e the omni can cast "rays of light" like a recessed 4xAR-111 downlight luminaire), but you have to guess the light intensity.
i tried to make a plugin out of this, but this require a lot of time, especially if you are new to programming. (i was able to render interior & exterior scenes with the same render settings).
but now with vrayc4d, the pros are talking and i thing that "real-world" lighting is a must-have especially for arch-viz.
a cg artist can spend time and effort to achive the light conditions for scene, which although "not accurate" can be very impressive.
that's ok with me, cause this is an artistic expression.
but architects or light designers some time don't have the time (or prefer to spend it on the project it self rather than making lighting speculations) and accuracy is very important, cuase after all we are not talking about "scenes" but real places where people will eat, read, or rest.
cheers,
george.

lllab
06-12-2006, 06:11 PM
"terrabrush"... sounds interesting.

i am architect myself, so naturally i would be happy with ies support too, as far as i remember vray does support it, if it is doable for c4d it will be in.
i ask Renato. we have to see also for the final standalone from chaosgroup, if it supports it, but i think it does.
cheers
stefan

nycL45
06-12-2006, 07:44 PM
All this talk is damned exciting, guys. It is kind of hard to hold back the drool. Onward and upward Renato and lllab.

kossoolli
06-13-2006, 05:25 PM
I really appreciate your efforts, but isn't is time for some pictures of vray together with C4D? As llab said, the basic conection is done. And Renato could render even complex Jenna hierachies. So please post something. I would be satisfied with one pic!!!

helluvapixel
06-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Any chance we can see marketing material to compare finalRender to Vray-for-c4d as in reasons to use and functions supported that one or the other does or doesn't

For example, memory requirements (fR requires duplication and thus requires more RAM due to an instanced c4d).

vesalus
06-13-2006, 08:09 PM
tought i'm amongst those who didnt preorder yet, i'm sure we are a bunch of people with high expectation toward this project, so please give us some insight, images, news of any kind asap ;)

big up :bounce:

lllab
06-15-2006, 08:51 AM
dear users,

as it is true that Renato has made the basic connection (geometry, cameras, UVW, basic material etc. ) already nice working, it is also true that there are a lot of things to be done yet.

there have to be links to hundrets of shaders, settings, GI options, lights options etc. this things are all "ready" functionwise in the vray standalone, but have no interface yet. this interface and connections have to be done step by step by Renato.

you can compare this with hundreds of little plugins that have to be done to make a ready working version that is worth to show(beta). so please give Renato the time that is needed and have some patience.

i will be more than happy to show you cool images when the time is come. (this will take at least 1 or 2 more month beeing realisticly)

as said the release date should be end of september or october, we also have to wait for the 1.0 version of the standalone which will come at about the same time.

i keep you updated here when there are news...

cheers
Stefan Laub

nycL45
06-15-2006, 01:41 PM
...i keep you updated here when there are news...

cheers
Stefan Laub

Great update Stefan.

One comment: Cebas & NL have allowed great periods of time to pass when there was no news without posting something. And even with mounting criticism in their forums over the silence they did not post. It would be helpful just to post something like "We encountered serious interface issues and our deadline has slipped. A new soft schedule will be posted as soon as we get a handle on the problems." or "Hey guys, no new developments but we are on schedule blah, blah, blah." or "Stay calm, we are working hard and will be posting soon." Oops, it is best to avoid the word "soon"; it has been redefined by another company to mean "sometime this side of eternity".

Thanks guys and best of luck with the work.

georgedrakakis
06-15-2006, 07:20 PM
dear users,

as it is true that Renato has made the basic connection (geometry, cameras, UVW, basic material etc. ) already nice working, it is also true that there are a lot of things to be done yet.

there have to be links to hundrets of shaders, settings, GI options, lights options etc. this things are all "ready" functionwise in the vray standalone, but have no interface yet. this interface and connections have to be done step by step by Renato.

you can compare this with hundreds of little plugins that have to be done to make a ready working version that is worth to show(beta). so please give Renato the time that is needed and have some patience.

i will be more than happy to show you cool images when the time is come. (this will take at least 1 or 2 more month beeing realisticly)

as said the release date should be end of september or october, we also have to wait for the 1.0 version of the standalone which will come at about the same time.

i keep you updated here when there are news...

cheers
Stefan Laub

as far as i am concerned, that's wonderful news Stefan!!
cause that's the time that i've scheduled a major upgrade in hard-software.
i hope that c4d v.10 is on it's way on september too!
and let us know if you need beta-testers.
(i hope that the cg forum can hundle a 1000pms per second from volunteers!)
cheers,
george.

ooo
06-15-2006, 07:52 PM
Great to have another update! September is not that long :)
Still wondering when I receive my preorder code. Did I miss it or will it be sent at a later time?
thanks again!

odo

Matariki
06-16-2006, 01:12 AM
Excellent news and many thanks for keeping us in the loop. Highly appreciated. Cheers.

castroman
06-16-2006, 07:59 AM
Not trying to sound too negative, but I have worked in software development, and one thing you should never doo, is give out dates that you don't know if you are able to keep. Not knowing anything about where you are in the development stages, but seeing that version 1 of VRay standalone isn't out yet, setting a date is risky. Ask NL if setting dates has worked for them :)
I think Maxon has a perfect way of doing this, nothing like a new module or a rewrite suddenly showing up. Its like christmas if you ask me.

lllab
06-16-2006, 02:31 PM
thanks castroman for the tipp,

but as i said very early here i want to keep people informed as much as possible. i try to do it the same way vlado from chaosgroup does it- he also just says how it looks from a current point of view. things of course can change.

end of september or october is the estimated release time, see from today. we also depend on the final release fo standalone as i said, but it seems to be very almost there already.

of course this time frame can change, as i always said. still i think it is better to keep users informed and pass on the information we have from today.

cheers
stefan

jackb602
06-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Thanks for keeping us informed Stefan. Personally, it's much more important for me to hear some kind of news every couple of weeks than it is to make a particular deadline.

kossoolli
07-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Any progress?

jondoe0ne
07-05-2006, 11:41 AM
how's development?

nycL45
07-05-2006, 08:34 PM
kosso_olli and jondoeOne - see post #182 above from three weeks ago; perhaps you missed it.

jondoe0ne
07-05-2006, 09:11 PM
kosso_olli and jondoeOne - see post #182 above from three weeks ago; perhaps you missed it.
yes but this happened three weeks ago... maybe something has changed... any problems??

nycL45
07-06-2006, 12:43 AM
My interpretation of that post was 1/ check back late August or September for an update and 2/ do not expect updates frequently. Who knows, maybe they will respond to your post. :)

lllab
07-06-2006, 02:09 PM
dear Users,

if there is something new you will hear it here from me. i will be on holiday a bit, Renato will too i guess need a rest.

The rest will be just the same, Renato is hard thinking / working to connect those hundreds of features, good support from Maxon is also promised and needed,...hope they find some time for us, not only for v10;-), from chaosgroup side things are going well too.

as said above, we will need some patience and give Renato the time thats needed, he a great Programmer, i am sure he does it good...

we appreciate your interest very much:-)
,as said if there is info i post it here.

all the best,
cheers
Stefan
vrayforc4d

kromekat
07-30-2006, 11:31 PM
Bookmarked - great news!

jackb602
08-03-2006, 05:26 AM
I don't know if this has been publicly stated, but I got to speak to Vlado briefly today after a presentation at SIGGRAPH. He confirmed that Vray is officially coming to the Mac. It sounds like the Windows version of Vray 1.5 will be available very soon, and while he did not give me a date for the Mac version, I got the impression that it's coming along very nicely.

Jack

vbvcvj
08-03-2006, 06:31 AM
I don't know if this has been publicly stated, but I got to speak to Vlado briefly today after a presentation at SIGGRAPH. He confirmed that Vray is officially coming to the Mac. It sounds like the Windows version of Vray 1.5 will be available very soon, and while he did not give me a date for the Mac version, I got the impression that it's coming along very nicely.

Jack

Wow, thanks for the head up. :bounce:

ooo
08-03-2006, 08:03 AM
Great news indeed, but beware: VRay itself is one, but there is also the C4D2VRay plugin that has to be finalised by Renato. No doubt he's working hard on this, but I think we have to wait patiently until everything is ready for a rocking start! Exciting it is :thumbsup:

odo

georgedrakakis
08-04-2006, 09:57 PM
VRay itself is one, but there is also the C4D2VRay plugin that has to be finalised by Renato. No doubt he's working hard on this
odo

actually, he'll work harder after the update of Fast&Fur (v.2.0).
btw, Renato has a really cool attitude.
C4D2VRay is gonna be a smashing hit.

vesalus
08-23-2006, 09:22 PM
hi guys, just a short message to get some news :D
i hope things get along nicely, and that we'll get some news soon...

lllab
08-24-2006, 12:19 PM
short update:
Renato just go the very latest vraysdk for win AND osx:-), the vray sdk isnt changing anymore Vlado promised.

Renato is working in the new sdk now, he thought about maybe the new sdk makes it possible to integrate it more into cinema. he has to get some more info for that from maxon, hope the guys from Friedrichsdorf find a bit time for us:-)

after all there is still quite some work to do, i have to talk with Renato a bit more about the timeframe. highest priority is quality for me. when i have a more specific release date i will post it here,...

thanks also to all of You for your great interest and support, it is very nice to get all those emails from all around the world. i see it there is really much interest. even Vlado gets lot of questions about the VrayforC4d project these days:-)

so i put my trust into Renato as always, i am sure he will bring us something good, OSX version is also official now!

cheers
Stefan
VrayforC4d.com

shtl
08-24-2006, 12:23 PM
OSX version :scream:

coooooool!

thanks guys, and happy to hear from you lllab !

marcom
08-24-2006, 12:36 PM
nervous jump... jump... jump...

sounds promising....

ooo
08-24-2006, 12:43 PM
Thanks for short update!
Me very happy now :)

odo

vbvcvj
08-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Good news, thanks llab!

And here 's a Sig 06' video of Vray 1.5's new features :

http://www.3dinsider.com/vray_resources/VRay15_Demo_Siggraph2006.mov

lllab
08-24-2006, 01:51 PM
yep, the new sdk has very cool feature additions, it is worth it!

cheers
stefan

ps.s thanks for the video link

seco7
08-24-2006, 02:04 PM
Nice video link, thanks. It seems like they really added some nice features. Although there is just something about the UI that confounds me. :)

vid2k2
08-24-2006, 03:51 PM
Hi Stephan,

Queston:

Since we now have he ability to run XP on the new Macs,
how would this affect the need to have a singular Mac OSX
version ?

Also, the video link was very informative wrt new features, etc.
At the end of the movie, it stated to order from Trinity ..... is this
the way we should order ?

TIA,
David

lllab
08-24-2006, 05:21 PM
well osx seems to be a very attractive os.
(i also just bought my first mac since 8 years...)

i think most mac users will prefer to run FR within their cinema4d-macversion.
winxp doesn run well and fast under the macpro, but i think osx it much better than winxp or vista.

Fr osx version also need no restart or something. the benchmarks undere osx are also faster than under windows. i think the memory management under osx is better. but i am no programmer.

cheers
Stefan

ooo
08-24-2006, 05:31 PM

winxp doesn run well and fast under the macpro, but i think osx it much better than winxp or vista.

Fr osx version also need no restart or something. the benchmarks undere osx are also faster than under windows. i think the memory management under osx is better. but i am no programmer.

cheers
Stefan

I guess you mean VR instead of FR? Or is there already news about Final Render on OSX?

And agreed: i would really prefer to run Vray natively on OSX than to switch to Win. it is absolutely prefered to have your workflow on one platform!!

odo

vid2k2
08-24-2006, 05:52 PM

cheers
Stefan

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm a mac user and don't feel comfortable with the thought
of having to go through XP. FYI, there's a app offered that should run both with switching
only with a keystroke (????) ...Paralell.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/0.RSLID?find=paralell&btn.x=9&btn.y=9

Do we order through Trinity ?

TIA
David

ooo
08-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Do we order through Trinity ?

No through Ilab: http://www.vrayforc4d.com/

the plugin will come bundled with Vray :)

odo

AdamT
08-24-2006, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm a mac user and don't feel comfortable with the thought
of having to go through XP. FYI, there's a app offered that should run both with switching
only with a keystroke (????) ...Paralell.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wo/0.RSLID?find=paralell&btn.x=9&btn.y=9
David
That software doesn't seem like a good solution if you plan on doing serious work on both platforms. For one, it doesn't appear to support graphics acceleration in XP.

Shilts
08-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Stefan, I am amongst the many others here it seems, waiting patiently trying not to get too excited too soon and pester you all the time for news and updates before they are ready :)

I just know that Renato will do a great job with the programming of this, and I cannot wait for the reaction in the C4D community when this is finally released. You can count me in as a definate purchaser when the time comes. I know a lot of people eagerly waiting to see what happens and I think the release of Vray for C4D will do a lot of good for MAXON and convince even more people to place their money with them.

Anyway, I can appreciate the amount of work this must be having seen other companies release renderers for Maya etc and how few features are supported of that software, much to the dismay of people using said software. There must be a lot of complex issues involved. Good luck with it and my credit card will be waiting:)

lllab
08-24-2006, 07:06 PM
thanks Shilts,

i am waiting for myself too, but we need a bit of patience...

it really is much work.

cheers
Stefan

vesalus
08-24-2006, 07:15 PM
thanks for the reply ilab, sure the guys from maxon must be busy these days ;)
hope renato will smoothly link things up

cant wait to grab the app once out and tested ;)

jddog
08-25-2006, 07:07 AM
And here 's a Sig 06' video of Vray 1.5's new features :
http://www.3dinsider.com/vray_resources/VRay15_Demo_Siggraph2006.mov

:curious: your link ask me for a username&password ?

And agreed: i would really prefer to run Vray natively on OSX than to switch to Win. it is absolutely prefered to have your workflow on one platform!!
odo

That's true, but for V.ray I can really buy a PC just for the render if needed, easy to have connected both computer in case...

jd

georgedrakakis
10-28-2006, 09:06 AM
do you like what you see?
alpha is coming soon

feel3d
10-28-2006, 09:29 AM
do you like what you see?
alpha is coming soon

Removed by moderator (Srek). See CG Talk FAQ for rules on posting stuff under NDA

sketchbook
10-28-2006, 09:33 AM
i open cgtalk every day hoping to see some news of vray for c4d.

this helped.

kossoolli
10-28-2006, 09:40 AM
Where is this from? Sources please, otherwise it could be a fake...

vesalus
10-28-2006, 11:32 AM
hi illab, maybe got some news for us ? the vrayforc4d website havent been updated since the beginning and we are a bunch to hope things get along well and that vrayforc4d will soon be available, maybe an estimation such as this year, next year first quarter and so on.

thanks ! and cheers to the crew ( renato and others )

georgedrakakis
10-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Where is this from? Sources please, otherwise it could be a fake...

no fake at all, i bump on it accidentally,
and the source is more than reliable -> renatoT

lllab
10-28-2006, 01:57 PM
may i ask how you got this???

cheers
stefan

edit: well however, please do not post anymore stuff in case you found more. it is not meant for public( yet ;-)

edit2: and vray is not in alpha anymore...

georgedrakakis
10-28-2006, 03:10 PM
may i ask how you got this???

cheers
stefan

edit: well however, please do not post anymore stuff in case you found more. it is not meant for public( yet ;-)

edit2: and vray is not in alpha anymore...

hey stefan,
i am trully sorry if i caused any trouble.

cheers,
george

Srek
10-28-2006, 03:28 PM
hey stefan,
i am trully sorry if i caused any trouble.

- Posts that are potentially in breach of any NDA Agreements
This includes screenshots or any unlawfully acquired knowledge regarding beta versions of software that are not available to the general public. Even if you are not the one who signed the agreement, you are still not permitted to post such matter.

I removed the reference in question according to CG Talk rules.

Please refrain from posting information that is under NDA or where you can expect it to come under NDA
Thanks
Björn

lllab
10-28-2006, 03:49 PM
it is no problem gdrakakis,
as already said in PM.

i was just amazed, and worried a short time we have a leak in the website and you found other things that are meant to be published officially together, but not now;-)

everything ok....(thanks srek too)

by the way it gets more interesting when you click on this button and see all those nice vray render settings...;-)))

cheers
Stefan
vrayforC4d.com

georgedrakakis
10-28-2006, 03:50 PM
hmmm, one mistake after another.
i should stop posting for a while.

scanmead
10-28-2006, 04:29 PM
George, you sound like me. Stop it? ;)

I'm alread hanging out at VRay galleries and Forums.. waiting patiently for the day I can stare blankly at a brand new interface, get by the "Oh, my!" phase and see the VRay magic. Clearing the plastic in anticipation...

georgedrakakis
10-28-2006, 05:27 PM
I know nothing about Vray, really...but I'm wondering does it have a ShaderTree like fr-2?

No,
vray is focusing on other things. it has its own very advanced brdf vray shaders.

there is a good database of vray materials
http://www.vray-materials.de/

so, are these (obviously) made with max materials, compatible with vraydor c4d?

georgedrakakis
10-28-2006, 05:38 PM
I know nothing about Vray, really...but I'm wondering does it have a ShaderTree like fr-2?

No,
vray is focusing on other things. it has its own very advanced brdf vray shaders.

so, are these (obviously) made with max materials, compatible with vrayforc4d?

lllab
10-28-2006, 05:42 PM
hey gdrakakis,

no problem nothing bad happened:-)

cheers
stefan

tonare
10-28-2006, 09:38 PM

lllab
10-28-2006, 10:28 PM
No,

cheers
stefan

diegoto
10-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Hi Stefan,

I am wondering if VRAYforC4D is going to work on Mac with both kinds of processors: Intel and G5. I really want to have my budget ready for this.

All the best,

Diego

georgedrakakis
10-29-2006, 12:09 AM

No,

lllab
10-29-2006, 04:08 PM
yes it should work for g5 too, 90% sure.

cheers
stefan

jddog
10-29-2006, 05:07 PM

Until we can export from a Cinema4D Mac version (OSX+Universal)... I really wait this moment. Ready to buy a PC to run V-ray but I hope I can continue to use Cinema only on mac... ;)

jd

Other3DMaster
10-29-2006, 09:24 PM

Great news... while I plan to get an intel mac soon, I really want to be able to have the vray option with my g5

mauves
11-06-2006, 11:32 AM

Bumping this question.

Would be excellent and great headstart for C4D-VRAY users if these MAX materials could be made useable somehow.

lllab
11-06-2006, 11:37 AM
it is possible to do that with a special vray fileformat, but we are not sure this will be in the first release, maybe in a service pack. first the main functions have to be finished.

cheers
stefan

mauves
11-06-2006, 11:39 AM
OK thanks for fast reply.

ThePriest
11-10-2006, 08:31 AM
Is there any hope of a release before the holidays?
I hate to pry llab, but there's a project that begins on Jan1st for me
and I'd really like to speed up my process (cin to max and back infinity).

Any hint of a release coming soon? Glimpse of hope?

Danke.

lllab
11-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Hi Priest,

we would love to of course, but i cant promise. software development is too uncertain.
the product is very far ahead in its development, dont know how long the fine tuning now will take.

cheers
stefan

vbvcvj
11-12-2006, 08:54 AM
http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17460

Vray 1.5 new features videos

V-Ray sun and sky along with the physical camera:
http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R1/images/animations/captures/1_sunsky2_final.avi (http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R1/images/animations/captures/1_sunsky2_final.avi)

More physical camera:
http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R1/images/animations/captures/2_physical_camera_final.avi (http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R1/images/animations/captures/2_physical_camera_final.avi)

VRayBlendMtl along with render elements:
http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R1/images/animations/captures/3_blend_mtl_render_elements_final.avi (http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R1/images/animations/captures/3_blend_mtl_render_elements_final.avi)

VRayOverrideMtl material:
http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R1/images/animations/captures/4_override_mtl_final.avi (http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R1/images/animations/captures/4_override_mtl_final.avi)

VRay2SidedMtl material:
http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R1/images/animations/captures/5_2sided_mtl_final.avi (http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R1/images/animations/captures/5_2sided_mtl_final.avi)

VRayDirt along with ambient occlusion:
http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R1/images/animations/captures/6_dirt_final.avi (http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R1/images/animations/captures/6_dirt_final.avi)

Image-based lighting for VRayLight in "dome" mode:
http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R1/images/animations/captures/7_ibl_final.avi (http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R1/images/animations/captures/7_ibl_final.avi)

VRayFastSSS material:
http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R1/images/animations/captures/8_sss_final.avi (http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150R1/images/animations/captures/8_sss_final.avi)

lllab
11-13-2006, 11:08 AM
they need the camtasia techsmith codec i think.
thanks for posting.
yes 1.5 has some very nice features:-)
cheers
Stefan

yolao
11-13-2006, 02:46 PM
i don`t know anything about vray, but i have read that it is mostly used for architecture.

-Would vray support hair rendering?
-I read that vray is widely used for architecture because of it`s GI engine,.. but what about other areas like character rendering?... does it have a good SSS shader like the fast skin of maya?.... i haven`t seen much character renders in vray...

thanks

lllab
11-13-2006, 04:08 PM
Vray is used in many areas, but you are right architecture and design viz people love it too.
is is used also for adverisment and filmsettups. one famous example is richard rosenman or carles piles.

it strenght is rendering very good light,
also with very complex models.
it has very professional shaders and excellent GI, with a wide amount of settings possible.

i would say it is geared towards the professionals and semiprofesionals that need a lot of power, reliability and quality. for "absolute beginners" cinemas AR is more suitable.

all application specific posteffects, effect plugins and pluginshaders wont work with 3rd party renderengines, so no the hairshader only works in the cinema renderer itself.

cheers
stefan

yolao
11-13-2006, 04:33 PM
thanks Stefan, i have seen a couple of videos of vray 1.5 and it looks sweet, i can see that it renders FAST:eek:.

Final Render for c4d also looks great, how FR compare to vray in terms of features and options?.... is there something that FR has that vray does not and viceversa?

thanks again

lllab
11-13-2006, 05:14 PM
i like to have both.

--FR has a very nice shader tree and ultra fast GI also very easy for animation.
Fr supports most normal c4d materials.
--Vray has also very fast GI, and maybe a bit more advanced and more other features (its own highend shaders, physical cameras, material IDs, better bumpmaps etc...)

i dont want to get more into detail about other engines here, FR is very nice too, but i have more than one FR license and still i want to have my vray. each has its good parts, i dont want to work without either of them.

cheers
Stefan

sketchbook
11-14-2006, 04:12 PM
am i hearing you all say that Vray has fast GI?

what are you basing this on? are you comparing it to maxwell? in my opinion it's slow, but i guess it depends on what you are comparing it to.

thanks

ThirdEye
11-14-2006, 04:15 PM
am i hearing you all say that Vray has fast GI?

what are you basing this on? are you comparing it to maxwell? in my opinion it's slow, but i guess it depends on what you are comparing it to.

thanks

they're comparing Vray's GI to AR's.

sketchbook
11-14-2006, 05:19 PM
really?

i can typically render a 1024x768 complex scene in under an hour with AR, where as this from vray takes about 15 hours or more from what i have witnessed.

my vray guy maybe doesn't have a good handle on all the settings, but i don't see how you could call it a fast GI render engine.

has anyone here been able to render a complex scene of this size within an hour with vray?

any tips?

lllab
11-14-2006, 05:56 PM
sketchbook, i compare it to any quality renderengine out there. i strongly depends on the right settings and workflow of course...

vray is very fast. FR migth be slightly faster in GI but slower in shading. then both also supports DR so you are able to render automaticly via more than one pc-very nice too.

15h on only this small size looks like there is something very wrong. any vray rendering taking more 3-4 hours at printsize on a modern pc is not normal. there are some good dvds from gnomen i think for interior and exterior vray rendering.

cheers
stefan

ps.: a typical vray rendering takes 30min-1h at print size here.

ThePriest
11-14-2006, 06:02 PM
really?

Has anyone here been able to render a complex scene of this size within an hour with vray?

any tips?

No. Scene's range anywhere from 4 - 20 hours, obviously depending on complexity,
a lot of demo renderings I've seen done are very simple in nature.