PDA

View Full Version : render layers and nonlinear deformers

pixlix2
04-24-2006, 08:59 AM
Hello everyone,

I have a problem assigning a material override to a layer that contains instanced geometry with a nonlinear deformer on them.

For example:
- I create a cube (cube1).
- apply a bend deformer
- instanciate cube1
- put both cubes into a new layer
- apply a material override to the layer
->bam, error - the instance will end up without any shader in this layer

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d60/pixlix/layerIssue.gif

Is there a way to make this work? Any help would be great!
Thanks

pixlix2
04-25-2006, 07:04 PM
uhhh, I really don't get it. I mean this is a pretty basic scene.
I will even get those error messages when i just take a cube, assign any deformer (nonlinear, smooth bind, cluster - you name it). Then put the cube in a render layer with a material override on it - and a nasty error will come up... something like:

Connection not made: 'pCubeShape2.instObjGroups[0].objectGroups[0]' -> 'set1.dagSetMembers[-1]'. Source node will not allow the connection.

Although in this simple situation without instancing the override seems to work (despite the error) ... but this doesn't help me much at this point...

Can anyone reproduce this issue?
May this have anything to do with the deformation order?

many thanks

T-R
04-25-2006, 07:57 PM
I just tested that and got the same error. It seems to happen when using preset overides. You can work around this by selecting the object and then assign it the same material from the hypershade.

EDIT: although when you switch back to master layer and then back to layer 1 it gives the error and then you need to reapply it to the instance from the hypershade again.:sad: So it seems the work around for this is to create you own occlusion,spec,etc passes from shaders you create and not from the presets, as creating your own seem to stick when switching back and forth between layers.

pixlix2
04-25-2006, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the answer, T_R!

I don't really think it is directly related to the pass presets, it's rather the fact that these presets use per layer overrides and this is the feature what doesnt seem to work correctly. Per Object overrides do seem to work but still this does not make me completely happy - its just the thing that I'm using passes alot and overriding whole layers makes life so much easier (and faster).
I will keep on looking for the source of the problem that's for sure... Maybe when I get a better grasp of the DAG I can find a fix... hopefully :(

thanks again.

ciao

CGTalk Moderation
04-25-2006, 09:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.