PDA

View Full Version : Rigging Problem in 3DS MAX

REDDICK
04-24-2006, 04:06 AM
Hello all,

I am having a problem that I have never had before when rigging. I used the box technique when it came to putting bones into my current characters hands. When I goto use Wire Parameters and connect along the axis I want to everything looks fine, but when I try and rotate along that axis the boxs rotate right but the boxs scale in lenght and its very annoying and also making my project lag. If anyone could help that would be great. Once again my objects are scaling when rotating using wire parameters.

Brandon Reddick

PEN
04-24-2006, 11:37 AM
You have scaled the objects, never scale anything in a rig it just isn't a good idea. Unlink every thing and reset their xforms using the reset xform in the Utils Panel. Can I ask why you don't just use bones? They are easier and faster to set up.

Yugene
04-24-2006, 11:51 AM
This is the main principle of rigging in any soft : xform, freeze transformations, ..before parenting or constraining.
Good luck!

REDDICK
04-24-2006, 01:39 PM
Well no, I didn't scale anything and I know not to scale anything once linked. I actually found out that it was a temporary problem and all I had to do was go into parameters and reset the scale. Everything works the way it used to now. Thanks for your help crew, its always good to know that there is a helpful friendly community out that to help eachother out.

Brandon Reddick

P.S.- The reason I didn't use bones in this case is because my characters hands don't need to be used that much and are not going to need detailed movements so I used a form-fitted box for the palm, and three boxes in each finger. I used Wire Parameters combined with a point dummy to rig it so the fingers clench just by rotating the point on the axis that is needed. This is actually easier for me then bones for this character anyway. You should try it if you haven't yet, I picked up the technique from the Lynda.com tutorials a while back but I never ran into this problem before so I was lost. Never hurts to fiddle around with things though.

CGTalk Moderation
04-24-2006, 01:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.