PDA

View Full Version : welding ( the real life thing )

Flakk
04-23-2006, 03:03 PM
Let's say I have two basic objects. A cylinder and a sphere. And I want the sphere to sit in the cylinder and the line that forms where the objects cut each other to look like a weld. How would I do this? :S
I work with Max8.

FastForward
04-23-2006, 04:13 PM
You've got a good tutorial at www.danielbuck.net (http://www.danielbuck.net) .

Flakk
04-23-2006, 06:44 PM
You've got a good tutorial at www.danielbuck.net (http://www.danielbuck.net) .

thanks a bunch <3

newman
05-29-2006, 03:37 PM
You could do something like this (in max): convert both the sphere and the cylinder to editabla polys. Place the cylinder so it "enters" the sphere. With the cylinder selected, press alt-x (to make it see-through), then right click it and select "freeze selection". Now, you've got a transparent unselectable cylinder which you'll use as a reference on the sphere: select it, go to vertex sub-object mode and hit alt-c (cut); now, cut along the line that forms the intersection of the frozen cylinder and sphere. When done select the polys insice the cut area and delete them. Now right click the viewport, select "unfreeze all", select the cylinder, hit alt-x again. Right click the cylinder, select "isolate selection", rotate to te side of it that enters the sphere, select the cap poly (lower side of cylinder) and delete it. Hit "exit isolation mode", move the cylinder out of the sphere, and attach the cylinder to the sphere. Now activate the vertex snap mode, go to the vertex sub-object mode of your new object, and move the cylinder's vertices to the corresponding vertices on the edge of the cut out area on the sphere. De-activate vertex snap, select ALL vertices along the cut area and weld them together (no ALL of them - just the corresponding pairs). Now, you've got a single mesh, all you need to do is add that "welded" feel along the intersection, all you need to do is do some more cuts, then play around with vertices until you get a satisfying result. You could apply a mesh smooth finally, depending on the model. Enjoy..

4 low
08-29-2006, 06:04 AM
I would start with a Oil Tank or Capsule premitive. Then cut the bottom out and cap that end. That would leave you with a cylinder and a sphere with very clean and aligning mesh.

Those welds in that link posted above look pretty bad for a structural weld.

The easiest way I can think of would be to texture map it, using either a displacement or a normal map. This would also give you the opportunity to map on the discoloring the metal would receive from the heat of the weld.

You could use this as a reference if needed:

http://www.zzperformance.com/miscftp/downpipe%20weld.jpg

KrasnayaZvezda
09-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Could you use the same technique to weld two cubes together?

A good structural weld with multiple passes.

CGTalk Moderation
09-04-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.