PDA

View Full Version : Transitioning to skin from physique

Kahenraz
04-23-2006, 11:10 AM
I'm having difficulty transitioning my workflow from physique to skin. I've been skinning my characters using physique, and I still do, usually. The problem I'm facing is the growing limitations with each new version of max. I really need help finding a transition for my workflow. The biggest gripe I have about skin is that I feel forced to use the envelopes to shape my weights --I hate that! Most of my characters and objects are very simply and low poly and tend to have non-linear shapes and sometimes overlap. This is a real problem when I try to skin using simple linear envelopes, even when using multiple bones (when I shouldn't need multiple bones!). Or maybe I'm just not doing this right.

My favorite thing about physique was the vertex sub-object mode. This allowed me a very quick and easy way to weight vertices as I wanted in a few quick seconds. I.e.: for the foot, the front would be deformable (or rigid) to the toe, the back would be deformable to the ankle, and the ring of vertices between the two links would be deformable between the two of them. Tada! No envelopes or anything. Fingers were just as simple. When I try to skin with the skin modifier the envelopes always grab vertices from neighboring fingers and muck everything up no matter how careful I am with the envelope.

I really miss being able to quickly assign weights with physique and its vertex sub-object. For the moment I still assign my weights quickly with physique and then use the physique2skin tool to convert the modifier but that is only a limited band-aid. If ever I have to alter the weighting after the fact I'm sunk because I don't know how to work skin at all.

I know there is a weight table thing and a paint weight thing but none of the tools feel as intuitive as what physique allows me to do.

Does skin offer a simple workflow for weighting vertices like physique provides?

PEN
04-23-2006, 01:44 PM
You should really do all the tutorials on Skin as the tools are covered. Skin offers way better control over vertex weighting then PH does. You can set the weighs in mutiple ways, blend them, paint them, use the weight table etc, etc.

You might want to have a look at my 3rd DVD on skinning at http://cg-academy.net as I cover production work flows for Skin.

Kahenraz
04-23-2006, 07:11 PM
Would you please be a bit more specific about which tools offer the same vertex control that physique allowed?

Maybe the tutorials do cover what tools I'm looking for but none of them offer examples of how to apply what I want to do. Every tutorial for skin I've looked at has me moving the envelopes around which is fine for high poly but it's terrible for low poly when I really only need weights of 1 and and 0.33.

PEN
04-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Well without writting out my DVD's here that cover all the possible steps have you looked at the help files on skin and setting weights on verts. Off the top of my head look up, paint weights, weight tools, ABS spinner and weight table.

CGTalk Moderation
04-23-2006, 08:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.