PDA

View Full Version : "remove unused materials" not working anymore

sketchbook
04-23-2006, 01:54 AM
on all my machines it won't work. weird.

anyone else having this problem in the material manager?

seams to only happen on one file i have, but i have tried copying all objects into a new file with no luck.

thanks

LucentDreams
04-23-2006, 07:42 AM
might be ever so subtle modifications to them???

I do know there seems to be an issue on mac where it always holds on to two copies so if you have five it will reduce it to two.

GruvDOne
04-23-2006, 08:15 AM
I cannot actually delete a material from the manager like I used to in 8 and 7. The only way to delete materials on any machine I work on (all macs) is to use the delete unused materials command.

I haven't had any issue with it keeping copies of materials. Any time I use the command, if any seemingly duplicate materials are set, I need only look at that material's Assign tab (or right click in the material and choose Select Texture Tags/Objects), and sure enough I'll see it is attached to an object.

So, as long as the material in question is truly not in use by something, it will always vanish for me upon executing the command.

imashination
04-23-2006, 12:20 PM
9.5 (and maybe 9.0?) have context sensitive managers. if you press delete while the mouse is above the viewport, only point, polys etc are deleted. press delete while the mouse is over the object list, the objects go... Make sure the mouse pointer is over the materials when you hit delete. Previous versions of c4d depended upon which item was last clicked on.

Triker
04-23-2006, 01:40 PM
Not this problem, but v9.52 on my Mac will not delete duplicates as expected. When working on complex files I frequently copy and past objects to a new empty window for model detailing. The materials are copied along by default. When I paste the object back into the original file a new copy of the material is pasted as well. I have not altered the materialóbut the "delete duplicate materials" does not work, so I have to delete them manually.

sketchbook
04-23-2006, 07:22 PM
Not this problem, but v9.52 on my Mac will not delete duplicates as expected. When working on complex files I frequently copy and past objects to a new empty window for model detailing. The materials are copied along by default. When I paste the object back into the original file a new copy of the material is pasted as well. I have not altered the materialóbut the "delete duplicate materials" does not work, so I have to delete them manually.

i have brought this up before. this tends to happen especially with materials that are procedural, like bodinut and such that were created in previous version.

GruvDOne
04-23-2006, 08:13 PM
9.5 (and maybe 9.0?) have context sensitive managers. if you press delete while the mouse is above the viewport, only point, polys etc are deleted. press delete while the mouse is over the object list, the objects go... Make sure the mouse pointer is over the materials when you hit delete. Previous versions of c4d depended upon which item was last clicked on.

For me, even if I have clicked a material and am hovering over the manager, hitting delete will not effect the material, but will delete an object instead.

I do this often too. The thing is, those 'duplicate' materials are still assigned to the pbject you took out and then brought back in. If you select the duplicate, Right-Click and choose Select Texture Tags/Objects, you can then drag the original material over to the AM, leaving the duplicate unassigned. After doing this, the remove unused materials command will clean up your manager.

Ernest Burden
04-23-2006, 09:28 PM
anyone else having this problem in the material manager?

You're on Mac, right? Because I had problems like that if I had any fr2 mats in the list. But on Mac no fr2 yet, so that can't be what's wrong for you.

CGTalk Moderation
04-23-2006, 09:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.