PDA

View Full Version : Widescreen Black bars thingy in AE 5.0

Isopod
01-02-2003, 05:48 PM
guys,

I want to do an animation in widescreen format in AE 5.0. My question is how do I do that black bars/mask at the top and bottom of the video? Do i simply put a top layer with those black bars or is there an option in AE that I need to check? Here's a picture to show what I'm talking about:

cheers,
--Isopod

AWB1989
01-02-2003, 07:20 PM
What program are you doing the animation in?? Render out with the aspect ratio of 1.2. Since transparency is black in AE, you don't need a layer on top of the video. Maybe make some subtraction masks on the top and bottom.

Isopod
01-02-2003, 07:37 PM
well, the animation is actually 2D characters on 3d backgrounds. I'm going to use Maya for the 3D rendering the scenes in .tga sequence then put the 2d characters on the scene. thanks for the tip. And if anyone else has an idea, I would greatly appreciate it!

cheers,
--Albert

Isopod
01-02-2003, 07:47 PM
I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!

in the Composition window between the color bars and the button that says "full" is a button which looks like a TV screen with a white rectangle inside. That lets you specify the "region of interest". So, just click that and specify the size!

thanks for the help

cheers,
--Albert

AWB1989
01-02-2003, 08:46 PM
no prob dude

im glade u figured it out

arvid
01-02-2003, 10:31 PM
the region of interest is what you use to isolate a small part of the screen to speed up rendering if you're only interested in that part, it's not intended for creating letterboxes.

I suggest you make your comp just as "tall" as it needs to be, making the picture ratio wide for real, then if you still want the black bars, just for the look of it, create a new 4:3 sized comp and put your animation comp inside that, this way you wont have to worry about adding any black. Or you can simply hit cltr-y to create a solid, make it black, hit 'make comp size' and cut a hole with a mask.

Isopod
01-03-2003, 12:17 AM
hmmm, opacity, you're right. It's just used for selective rendering. I didn't know since I didn't try rendering a test video. I guess I just have to make a mask by hand then. I figured there was an option in AE. Is there any in Premiere then?

cheers,
--Albert

AWB1989
01-03-2003, 12:30 AM
You can try putting the following image on the top and bottom of your video. But make sure all the subjects are in the center.

Isopod
01-03-2003, 12:48 AM
Well, I kinda got what I wanted by just clicking on rectangular mask and drawing it on the animation. It's there when it's rendered so I guess it works. I was hoping that there's a standard size for those bars (I'm sure there is) and that AE or Premiere could automatically apply them. oh well, thanks for the help once again

cheers,

--Albert

Isopod
01-03-2003, 01:07 AM
AWB1989, thanks for the black bar, I'm just gonna use that but I'm gonna have to make sure that the important parts aren't covered. Thanks!

cheers,
--Albert

AWB1989
01-03-2003, 02:33 AM
alright, no problem. The black bar was just a black solid in AE at a resolution of 720 x 77. Although "true" widescreen is 720 x 76.8. :p

EDIT: I meant that the black bars on "true" widescreen are 720 x 76.8.

arvid
01-03-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Isopod
hmmm, opacity, you're right. It's just used for selective rendering. I didn't know since I didn't try rendering a test video. I guess I just have to make a mask by hand then. I figured there was an option in AE. Is there any in Premiere then?

cheers,
--Albert

just set your comp to the correct aspect ratio, then add that comp in another comp that is 'higher' in Y, the bars will appear automatically :)

beaker
01-03-2003, 05:39 PM
Just render at 720x405(ntsc) resolution in maya. That is the resolution for 16x9(aspect ratio of HD and some film).

Isopod
01-03-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by beaker
Just render at 720x405(ntsc) resolution in maya. That is the resolution for 16x9(aspect ratio of HD and some film).

errr...I thought it was 720x480? I'm pretty sure it is, all I'm worried not is maintaining the important things within the displayed area. Thanks though.

cheers,
--Albert

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.