PDA

View Full Version : Cloth as Skin...

WMBrown
04-22-2006, 02:47 PM
It kinda struck me just now (and i couldn't find any threads that may have covered this) and i know what i'm about to talk about is pretty abstract.

has anyone out there tried making a character's skin out of cloth dynamics?

i'm curious since it makes me wonder that if it could be done right with the right understructure it might be a way of making the character deform and have the skin slide about a little over the understructure (like how skin reacts in real life)... might be a little easier to control the deformations on the typical trouble spots like the hips and shoulders (on bipeds.) i'm thinking that it might work in MAX (not sure about MAYA or other 3d apps) with the right tweaking and adjustment, though i would bet that it would take a while to get it right if it's do-able at all.

anyone ever tried this? how did it turn out? if no one has tried it, do you think it would be feasible or even worth the time to research/try?

and yes, i'm still learning this category of CG. :P

eek
04-22-2006, 03:39 PM
Check out syflex, - i wish it was available for max.

PEN
04-22-2006, 08:11 PM
This has been tried many times, I have yet to see a usable example of it working.

eek
04-22-2006, 08:13 PM
Pretty interesting Paul:

http://www.syflex.biz/tut_skin01.html

PEN
04-23-2006, 03:04 PM
Ya I have seen this, very interesting. They don't really show a final solution of a rendered mesh where you can see what the character actualy ends up looking like. The only one that I see on there is to low resolution to really know what is working and what isn't and the motions they show you can rig up without all that and get it working that well in about 1/10 the time. I would really like to see a full character rig and high res renders of this sort of thing to know that it really is worth all the trouble. I haven't played with Syflex but I have tried it in Max and I didn't see it was giving me fantastic results for the amount of work that had to be put in and the time it took to sim. Syflex I think is better but is it that much better.

If you read up on how Weta was using it in Kong they never used it for Skin sims directly but instead for enhancing skinning procedures for dynamics. Maybe they did use it as a mucle wrap set up but they dont say it. Unless I'm missing something.

It is a cool bit of rigging but I'm not sure that it is yet practical fro most productions.

PEN
04-23-2006, 03:07 PM
I should mention that I finaly saw Kong last night, the movie it self was only good, but the lighting, digital characters and set just blew me away. Once again digital actors out acted the live actors. To all involved great work!

CGTalk Moderation
04-23-2006, 03:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.