PDA

View Full Version : Is the Time still Dead?

3dfArtist
01-02-2003, 04:44 PM
Hi folks,

I hope someone will help me out.

Recently I have seen some amazing effects like Dead Time effect as in Matrix. Where the characters freez in mid air and the camera turns around them.

What I need to know is:

Without the expensive dead time multiple camera setup, how to get the dead time effect. Specially when the camera turn or pan is not so drastic. Like a simple 45 degrees or so.

Can anyone shade some light on the matter?

(I have heard that just with few frames of the shot with morph and *some technique*, many commercials nowdays achieve this effect as if it is very (indeed) common technique.)

~:(.):~

Skeeter33
01-02-2003, 05:42 PM
depends on the positioning of the person and so on, but i dont know that you could achieve the effect without using more than just 1 or 2 cameras. i mean, if you have 5 cameras and you are only doing a slight angle change then yes u can do it, but anything more i would have my doubts. And the name for it is called "bullet time"

You also placed this post in the wrong forum so count on it being deleted or moved.

chips__
01-03-2003, 10:06 AM
Hi,

We did it with five cameras and morped between them... it took about three days to complete the two second shot, but it looked exactly like bullettime. It was on a coca cola light commercial if anyone's seen the one with the hockey player that paints?

Peter
Duckling Post, cph

t-toe
01-03-2003, 03:28 PM
i've actually seen the "dead time" effect (which I've mostly heard called "bullet time", btw) done with a single camera before. basically these kids over at the star wars fanfilms website had a guy do the same move like 10 times and got it from different angles and then morphed them together. It actually looked pretty decent.

my only regret in this life is that I forgot what that little clip was called. :shrug:

--t.toe

Deepray
01-04-2003, 12:16 AM
aka flow-mo

Well... it depends of what type of action you would to freeze... if isn't a "extreme" action like a jump, you almost "fake" a flowmo FX with only one camera... if everybody still freeze while you make all the shots you need. You must remove all the background, and the FX can be done. I make a "fake" with a friend holding a little girl in the air, removed in post with photoshop, and morphed... with only one camera, moving the girl like a "stop-motion" way, and the end FX was awesome (well... is not matrix... but.. ;) )

t-toe
01-05-2003, 05:47 AM
well, actually, the fake "bullet-time" clip I saw did involve around a guy jumping. he just did almost the exact same jump every time. I think he was trained in some form of martial arts.

--t.toe

magicpatrick
01-05-2003, 10:43 PM
Ok, I`ll help you out. I know this guy from the website Alamdv.com. He makes some really good SFX stuff. You can find the tutorial of the MATRIX Move on http://www.nccinema.ch/esfx11.html There you find all the info you want.

:buttrock:

E.Z. Schwartz
01-06-2003, 05:32 PM
I think I remember reading or seeing somewhere that in the movie Clockstoppers there was a shot with a girl spraying a kitchen sink hose, and the camera moved around her when she was frozen. If I remember correctly the girl just kept still and they moved a camera around her. You could try that and speed up the camera in post somehow. Also in the movie Bufallo 66 at the end some guy gets shot in the head and they have like frozen moments with the camera moving. You could tell the people were just staying still, and the splattered blood frozen was some type of clear mold stuck on the guys head, but the technique might work if you mess with it. A pretty low tec way that may help. Good luck.

Ezra

slasher guy
01-07-2003, 05:14 PM
you can use the program winmorph (http://www.debugmode.com/winmorph/)
to do this, i think. ive never tried it, though.

grury
01-08-2003, 01:01 PM
Another way is to use Realviz Retimer, but u still have to use more than one camera, the soft just makes the inbetweens.
or iu can always bild your own rig of lenses ; )
check out the father of all the bullet time thing, is actualy called Time Slice , first I saw his stuff was back in 96 or so in a gallery in London, back then was amusing now is just everywhere and overused...http://www.timeslicefilms.com/

Deepray
01-10-2003, 02:20 AM
yeah! mr. E.Z. Schwartz... it's true... in ClockStoppers, for the girl's shot, she stay freeze, while the camera shot at 48 fps, later, when shooting the background, the camera shot at 24fps but moving at half speed. When the girl's shot was re-timed to 24 fps, she moves at half speed (slow-motion), equal to the 24 fps background... ;) . But at the end of the film, they use a real Flow-mo shot... and is too bad... :(

JamesDeschenes
01-11-2003, 01:17 PM
I remember a thread earlier about this... a plugin for AE and combustion which was suggested to be used to help interpolate the frames was called Twixtor.

I never used it myself.. but it 'apprently' works well.

http://www.revisionfx.com/rstwixtor.htm

CourtJester
01-16-2003, 03:51 PM
I'm thinking of something Paul Debevec did (the author of HDRshop), using photos from various angles to reconstruct the Berkeley campus and then using the CG models thusly built, "fly" around the campus. I'm guessing that three or four cameras from various angles, combined with some creative texturing with front projection on 3D standins for the people and objects, might do the trick.

If you can recreate the scene's details in CGI, there's always the subtle fade from front-projected "reality" to a CGI mockup of the scene, which handles the meat of the motion, then fade back to another photo shot at the end of the sweep (one could use video frames from incoming and outgoing live action). Make the sweep fast on going in and going out, and you could use motion blur to hide the transition... if it were blurred enough, a shot with water in it could have CGI water swapped in. Think LOTR and the way they blended multiscale models and CGI. I still get exhausted just thinking about the logistics of those Isengard shots.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.