PDA

View Full Version : Serious help needed with Rigging (3dsmax)

digitalshaman
04-22-2006, 10:07 AM
Hi all.

This is a desperate call for help. I have a deadline in a weeks time to finish my short film in an animated state. I've hit a major wall when it comes to rigging.

I've been following sergio mucino's tutorial on 3dtotal and maxtd.com and can't seem to get the foot to do what the tutorial is saying.

http://67.15.36.49/team/Tutorials/bipedrigging/images/image35.jpg

i've aligned a rotating helper (far-left orange round shape) to the foot bone (ankle) and correctly linked it but the rotator does not affect its children when rotated, only when moved.

if anyone knows a good tut on setting up a foot roll, or if anyone knows how i can solve this problem please don't hesitate to let me know.

i've attached my rig in a max file for anyone to have a quick look at to see whats wrong.

thankyou so much in advanced, i'm in panic mode here.

tim

virtualmesh
04-22-2006, 03:48 PM
I recommend looking at paul's web site on the step by step for a foot rig:

http://paulneale.com/tutorials/trippleIKLeg.htm

If you want to learn more about rigging then buy and watch his DVD series.

3DQUAKERS
04-22-2006, 04:04 PM
Check out RiggingPRO (http://3dquakers1.com/webroot5/index.php), it has everything you need and more.

eek
04-22-2006, 04:33 PM
Ok,

Build your leg as followed:

1. upperleg>lowerleg>foot>toe>nub (nub:little bone at end)
2. run ik chains from upper leg to foot, foot to toe, and toe to nub
3. make 3 helper points at ankle, ball of foot, and nub (i.e the ik handle positions)
4. Parent the ik handles to thier respective helpers
5. make a new point at the heel
6. parent the ankle point to the ball of foot point, the ball of foot point to the nub point
and the nub helper point to the heel point.
7. make a new helper point (slightly bigger) at the ankle again call it "foot_control"
8. parent the heel helper point to the "foot_control" helper point.

Thats the basics, now for added control like ability to rotate the toe alone do this:

Make a new point at the ball of foot (i.e. toe bone pivot) slightly bigger called "toe_control"
Parent the Ik handle at the nub to this point, and then parent "toe_control" point helper to the point helper at the nub.
Now, because this has ik chain, you may need to control swivel, you can either add additional points for each control and make each ik chain use them as targets, or you can switch the hierachy option to 'start bone' not "ik goal'

This system is known also as natural foot, as if you pull the upper leg to far, the foot will 'naturally' curl away, from its controls.

I could also tell you how to write a foot roll expression/script, so you only need one control for everything if you want. My system is I have a main control and a roll control at the ball of foot. Rolling it back rolls the heel, rolling it forward rolls the ball. I dont have a 'roll at nub', because thats a simple manual lift, and rotate.

eek

PEN
04-23-2006, 02:56 PM
Charles has got it there, as virtualmesh pointed out you can also see this on my site with a quick tut and my first DVD covers how to do it using a reverse foot setup that it just another way to do the same thing. I think that Michael Comet also covered this in the Max tutorials under the character rigging section.

The difference if you are wondering about my DVD's is I talk a lot about why I do things from a production perspective. I have created over 1000 character rigs for production and who knows how many just for the fun of it and testing so I add to the DVD the experience that I have gained over the years.

CGTalk Moderation
04-23-2006, 02:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.