PDA

View Full Version : Programming/Math backgrounds

schobes
04-22-2006, 04:35 AM
Hi,

I am very curious to see how many people here have a programming or math background. I'm assuming that anyone who votes is either employed as a character/creature td or spends a lot of time rigging.

Thanks to anyone who participates.

eek
04-22-2006, 03:43 PM
I had no real world experience in math before rigging - learning it all on the job and basically figuring it out. Now im getting into the stage of understanding notation which helps alot, especially research papers.

eek

LucentDreams
04-22-2006, 06:14 PM
tough options, no programming experience maybe an action script or two in flash, but that'd be it, in terms of math, does high grades in highschool count ;) I did well in math, but never even took a post secondary course on math.

If you don't know either very well dont' think you can't become a TD, but also dont' think you won't have to put soem effort into learning them either. More and mroe I'm finding the need to sit down and actually learn some more programming, Using Renderman is forcing me to learn some, but with Mel and COFFEE (cinema 4ds scripting language) I'm finding more and more I want to use them to problem solve, but just haven't had the time to focus on learning how to program properly outside of dialogues in mel. I'm also very spoiled by cinema's node based xpression system which has taught me the right logic, but none of the syntax.

schobes
04-22-2006, 07:00 PM
So.. you're saying there is hope for someone who might have spent more time playing quake3 than doing math homework in highschool? Sweet...

PEN
04-22-2006, 07:42 PM
I had never touched a computer until I was 30, so for you guys out there that have grown up on them you have no excuse at all. Even old dogs can learn new tricks.

virtualmesh
04-22-2006, 08:41 PM
I was shipped off to school by my employer to learn computer programming so that I could re-work all there data mathematically for them. That was four years ago and prior to that I was not comfortable using a computer for calculating mathematical equations. Now it's as simple as pi.

I guess it's simple because I work on it all day that gives me the comfort to pull calculations off on the computer however, as a novice user with 3dsmax (I'm no TD! just a hobbiest), I have to say I'm still timid on the more complex 3d tasks such as calculating transforms and rotations.

CGTalk Moderation
04-22-2006, 08:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.