PDA

View Full Version : Positioning a lattice before deformations take effect

Bryan Y
04-21-2006, 11:18 PM
I am not having luck with this. I want to create a lattice, move it, scale it and rotate it until it's around the body part I want it to affect, and then I want its deformations to take effect.

I have tried using the edit membership tool. I have tried a couple other "nuggets" of wisdom that I have found without luck.

By "without luck", I mean that either the lattice deforms everything or if I create it without it being bound to an object initially, I cannot get it to bind at all, or it binds to the whole object.

What I want is for the lattice to be bound to specific vertices only.

Does someone know of a good tutorial that explains this, or can explain their method in a very simple way so that I could get it to work.

isoparmB
04-22-2006, 02:01 AM
First, create a lattice by selecting your geometry and creating it the usual way. Make sure also that the group lattice and base togeter option is checked in the lattice option box. This will create a lattice on your entire geometry.

Next, move the group to your desired location, so that the lattice and base move together. This is very important as the deformation will be based on how different the lattice is in relation to the base. It is important not to offset the two while you are still relocating them. You can then parent them to a bone if you were planning to do that (for rigging).

The last step is to select your lattice and use the edit membership tool to deselect all the cv's you do not want to edit.

If you tweak lattice points now, it should work. For a better understanding on deformers, Gnomon has an entire DVD set dedicated to that. You could check it out on their website.

Bryan Y
04-22-2006, 08:26 AM
Thanks for your help. I conceptually understand now - the key is moving the base and lattice together, thus resulting in no "difference" and thus no deformation.

CGTalk Moderation
04-22-2006, 08:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.