PDA

View Full Version : Skin Weights Difficulty

EcthelionOfGondor
04-21-2006, 05:59 PM
Okay so I have my model rigged, but of course the skin weights need a lot of tweaking. I've tried painting the skin weights, but every time I go to check the results of my last few strokes, it's as if it had no effect. Then when I go back to view the greyscale skin weight representation, there's no change, as if I hadn't painted anything - it's just the default weights. It's driving me crazy! I'm running Maya 7.0 Unlimited OS X. Is this some kind of Mac problem? Someone please tell me they've seen this problem before!

Stephen

instruct9r
04-21-2006, 09:21 PM
Select the model.. open the Attribute editor and goto "skinCluster1" tab... check what's the Max Influences.. If its 1 that means only 1 joint can affect 1 vertex. Change it to 4 (4 is good for most of the characters) and then click Update Weights....

The other thing you have to check is in the Paint skin weight "options".. If there is (Hold) after the name of the joints that means you cant change their weight. To unhold click on the button below that says "Toggle Hold Weights On Selected"

EcthelionOfGondor
04-22-2006, 02:24 AM
Hey thanks a lot for the speedy reply. I'm not exactly sure why it worked, but it did, so thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
04-22-2006, 02:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.