PDA

View Full Version : Align lights to the normal of an object?

aaronwhite
04-21-2006, 04:10 PM
I am trying to align a set of lights to to the normals of a sphere. Can anyone give me information on how this can be done or is there a script somewhere.

thanks

Rens
04-21-2006, 08:18 PM
Which program are you using?

aaronwhite
04-24-2006, 04:21 PM
I'm Using Maya 6.0

bahman
04-26-2006, 09:42 AM
why you want to do that? maybe we can offer a work around for your idea.

cpan
04-26-2006, 08:10 PM
suposely you want to make a light dome (useless since you can achieve the same effect with mentalray using FG + the IBL node), there are some scripts that automate the creation of it.

If you want to do it manualy, then create a light and position it on 0 0 1 xyz then move it's pivot point to 0 0 0 xyz (press the Insert key and hold x to snap to grid). Now select the light and press SHIFT + D to duplicate with transform and rotate the new light on x with about 30 degrees (less for more dense placement). Now that the transform was recorded by maya, press shift+d several more times to duplicate the lights in a circular shape (180/30-2 for the 30 degrees). Now select all the new lights (less the light on the top) then group them and duplicate it and rotate horizontally several times to fill the spherical shape. Finaly group all the lights and position/scale the group.

sorry for this long text and hope you picked the idea :)

aaronwhite
05-11-2006, 11:40 PM
Thanks Guys For The Reply And Sorry For The Delayed Response, I'll Give It Ago.

CGTalk Moderation
05-11-2006, 11:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.