PDA

View Full Version : How to animate water splatter?

shirak23
04-21-2006, 06:50 AM
I need to do a shot where something like a pebble or a drop of water hits a small pool of water and makes a little splash. I'm mostly concerned with making the splash. I think I have to make the object falling a hard collision something or other (can you tell I'm a dynamics newbie?!) :) Any help would be great! Here's some pics to show what I'm after...

bluehonda
04-21-2006, 07:15 AM
this can easily be done with RealFlow. if you dont have that i think your gonna have to go with Blobby particles.

Bonedaddy
04-21-2006, 03:07 PM
How close up do you have to be, and how detailed?

shirak23
04-21-2006, 07:58 PM
I just downloaded the trial of RealFlow, so we'll see how it goes. And, I want it to be about what you see in the photos, about that close. I don't know if I even need to texture it to look realistic, I was actually going to go for a more illustrative look. Thanks for the replies!

shirak23
04-22-2006, 07:19 AM
Okay, so you said it was easy to do in RealFlow... Can you explain how? I'm tearing my hair out over here and the nexlimit tuts aren't helping. ARRRGGHH. heh heh. But really, if you can explain it to me that would be great. I need it for a project!

Bonedaddy
04-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Realflow is a good solution.

You could also do it with blendshapes, deformers, secondary particles, and whatnot, all in Maya.

modernPrimitive
04-24-2006, 10:14 PM
For a quick solution, but without the typical "crown" look, you can create an ocean or pond (default ocean/pond from the menu) and add a wake and keyframe the density/sec.
You can then you can use an emitter with blobby surfaces to get a splash.

bluehonda
04-27-2006, 12:47 PM
well this is how i would do this in realFlow. i would create a realWave emitter. set values and settings. you would probably have to set a high resolution. i would have a sphere animated falling in maya. and bring that into realflow. so that sphere would be my collision for the realwave. i would also create a RWsplash and RWparticleInteraction in realflow. so connect the sphere to the realwave and Rwsplash. also connect the realwave to the rw splash and Rwparticleinteraction. now its all gonna depend on the values you have set. after simulating your particles. you can then proceed to creating a mesh. thats what you want. cuz thats what you will import to Maya. so i hope i got it all.

HowardM
04-27-2006, 01:28 PM
cant remember which, but a RF scene comes with/or can be downloaded from their site that does this exact thing, a sphere falling into water with a splash...should be perfect to learn from...
;)

irwit
04-28-2006, 07:44 AM
if your really struggling and need it done why not just hand animate it ? top half of a sphere flattened, soft select the center , push down then pull up etc, works suprisingly well. There an example on how to do it, it was for Lightwave but makes no difference.

lol just found it now

http://67.15.36.49/team/Tutorials/waterdrop_continued/waterdrop_01.asp

let us know how you get on ;o)

heney
08-15-2006, 05:29 PM
cant remember which, but a RF scene comes with/or can be downloaded from their site that does this exact thing, a sphere falling into water with a splash...should be perfect to learn from...
;)

I know this is an older post, but I'm having trouble with this too, and rather than start a new thread, I'll try asking here first.

If you have a link to that tutorial, please post it.

When I setup my realwave and rw splash, the splash occurs when the wave come back up not when the "droplet" (in my case a coin) initially hits it. Where am I going wrong? I'd imagine that I've got a hierarchy problem, but I don't know where.

heney
08-15-2006, 06:32 PM
OK I figured out the heirarchy thing, but when creating the mesh, how do you get it to be connect to both the particles and the water?

bluehonda
08-17-2006, 01:21 AM
you have to create mesh for the particles only, simulate mesh. then export your realWave as obj if im not mistaken, i could be wrong. long time since i've used RF. you bring the particle mesh and exported realWave obj together in Maya or whatever 3d app your using.

i tried this water droplet sim before. i ended up just filling up a container with particles. then dropped a sphere emitter on it. looked quite well. it just takes so much time getting the right simulation.

hope that helped you.

CGTalk Moderation
08-17-2006, 01:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.