PDA

View Full Version : "Inferno on Linux", How would be the future of Fusion?

lancelott
04-21-2006, 01:10 AM
You guys probably have seen the news that Autodesk is going to release Linux version of Inferno. At least to me, it's a shocking news as I am going along with Maya and Fusion. Adapting Inferno to Linux will definitely dramatically increase its users, and probably will increase the users of 3dsMAX too.

So, I am just wondering about the future of Maya and Fusion...

Lance

thomaspecht
04-21-2006, 02:44 AM
why would the inferno user base grow? as far as i'm aware, the discreet product line is as expensive as ever, apparently linux flame configurations are even more pricey than SGI-based ones mainly because more expensive storage options have to be used. i guess the same will apply to inferno.

it might become easier for the "d00d'z" to get their hands on this software and as such we might see an increase of traffic in discreet-related forums but do you really think studios that never considered inferno before will now be investing just because it runs on linux all of a sudden? a somewhat tuned linux with a specifically patched kernel afaik. and it's still a turnkey-solution not really meant to be run alongside other apps and in the case of inferno runs on some really weird multi-core opteron + multi-cpu xeon machine with a stone attached, not your average beefed up PC.

thatoneguy
04-21-2006, 03:12 AM
I'm even more confused why you think that would increase the number of 3dMax users.

So much confusion...

thomaspecht
04-21-2006, 03:23 AM
maybe because some FFI ops get 3ds max seats for free ;)

lancelott
04-21-2006, 05:04 PM
I'm even more confused why you think that would increase the number of 3dMax users.

So much confusion...

It's not confusing at all. Inferno and 3dsMAX are layer-based applications, while Fusion and Maya are node based. Users adpated to Inferno will more likely choose 3dsMAX, instead of Maya.

beaker
04-21-2006, 05:57 PM
It's not confusing at all. Inferno and 3dsMAX are layer-based applications, while Fusion and Maya are node based. Users adpated to Inferno will more likely choose 3dsMAX, instead of Maya.

Understand now?Inferno is a very specialized niche product. It costs US$350,000+ depending on storage and what it is configured for(SD, HD, 2k), so the user base is really small. When you charge $400-800 an hour for a machine, the boss gets pissed when you try to use it for something like Maya. Usually a single use machine.

One other note, Inferno is both layer based and node based. Depends if your using Action or Batch. You essentially embed layers inside nodes and vs versa.

lancelott
04-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Hi, beaker,

Thanks for clarify the things. feeling you are an expert in compositing & 3D, hehe. What compositing package are you using, inferno or something else? I am learning Fusion and Maya.

Actually one question for you, If I want to do 2k, what kind of scale of hardware & equipment shall I have, say, 100 PC, or whatever?

Lance

Kai01W
04-22-2006, 08:35 AM
Inferno is a very specialized niche product. It costs US$350,000+ depending on storage and what it is configured for(SD, HD, 2k), so the user base is really small. When you charge $400-800 an hour for a machine, the boss gets pissed when you try to use it for something like Maya. Usually a single use machine.

One other note, Inferno is both layer based and node based. Depends if your using Action or Batch. You essentially embed layers inside nodes and vs versa.

Most definately a single use machine. And how is 3dmax layer-based like a compositing tool? Believe me its totally different. Actually I'd say that FFIs "Action" is also not layerbased. Although you do have layers they function rather different than in AFX or combustion and you do not have a timeline like that (only for keyframes but not really for layers).
So I'd actually say FFI is either clip- or nodebased...

-k

thatoneguy
04-22-2006, 08:21 PM
By "Layer based" I believe he's referring to "Operator based" in which you have a stack of operators applied one on top of another. From that respect it is true, both combustion and Max share a similar philosophy, much less so with FFI.

beaker
04-22-2006, 09:52 PM
Yea, I meant it is linear, like layers in photoshop.

beaker
04-22-2006, 10:01 PM
Thanks for clarify the things. feeling you are an expert in compositing & 3D, hehe. What compositing package are you using, inferno or something else? I am learning Fusion and Maya. Icy & Shake at the moment but also Combustion, DF, AE, Nuke. All depends where am I working.

Actually one question for you, If I want to do 2k, what kind of scale of hardware & equipment shall I have, say, 100 PC, or whatever?How many shots are you doing, how many people do you have, what type of shots, how much money do you have? (not a generalized question you can give a blanket answer to)

I have worked in closets, apartments, tiny offices with 3-5 of us shoved in there with G4's, G5's, homebuild shuttle box P4's & AMD's etc.. and all the way up to 600 employees.

Pretty much any modern pc running linux, windows, osx, etc... with 2 gig of ram and a half way decent nvidia card.

lancelott
04-23-2006, 06:14 AM
Hi, Beaker,

I am thinking of putting together a digital studio or a small film company (whatever you like to call). My task is regular 2k feature film, about 120 min. I can have 3-5 people to start with. Post production basically is color correction & compositing, not much 3D components, no large-scale effects. So now you may have some rough idea about my work scale. Suppose I have the following PC configuration:

AMD 64 4000+
4 GB Memo
Nvidia 7800 256M (enough?)

How many would be about enough for a computer cluster that can decently do the rendering job in my work scale. Any rough number is more than a good answer to me at the moment, say, 10, 50, etc...

My questions may look a little odd. But basically I just want to have some idea about the starting cost for the hardware & equipment. Besides computers & softwares, what else do you think will be other major cost in equipment (post production only) ?

Thanks a looooooooot.

Lance

beaker
04-23-2006, 07:29 AM
You have only a few months of experience in cg and you want to start a company with zero work experience..... why?

To answer your question, again, it depends on the work and it depends how fast it needs to be turned around. There is no such thing as generalized compositing and cc that I can simply throw you a number for. Just giving me info like "2k feature 120 min film" doesn't help. Are you doing DI for the whole movie? What is the budget for the vfx on this feature, that might help.

Other equipment
1. Fileserver with preferably raid 5 on it.
2. Either a SAN or local raids on the machines.
3. gigabit switch
4. usually an editing box with local raid storage, fcp, avid express, etc..
5. some kind of digital daily/review setup box with software(framecycler DDS, PFplay, etc...)
6. color calibration software/hardware(truelight, cinespace, etc..)
7. crt monitors since lcd's still have issues with reproducing the same range.
8. Tape backup like LTO and backup software like Veritas.
9. DLT, SDLT, DTF2, depends what the film house your working with uses, though luckily most use firewire drives these days.
10. If you are going to have a render farm, then a rendermanager box.
11. License manager server

You really should have someone who knows what they are doing budgeting stuff like this. Going into business based off information you find on a forum is pretty silly.

CGTalk Moderation
04-23-2006, 07:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.