PDA

View Full Version : Effects: Books or Tutorial recs?

Indesium
04-20-2006, 09:16 PM
I've been using After Effects for awhile now and have gone through Trish and Chris's book (the Volume 1 book..name escapes me) and while I grasp the knowledge of after effects...I feel like I know nothing of the actual effects.

Is it more suggested to just read the effect list continuously or is there a specific book or tutorial that will really give me an in-depth guide, hands on, to each of the effects? *hopeful there's a good book out there*

Any help on the subject is appreciated :)

DLangley
04-27-2006, 11:53 PM
After Effects 6.5 Studio Techniques by Mark Christiensen is a great reference. It isn't a cookbook yet it provides tremendous insight into developing effects. Another resource which deals with using various effects is the After Effects Podcast produced by Creative Cow. It is a video podcast so, you can see what is being discussed. The Creative Cow also has many tutorials which deal with effects in After Effects. That being said, there is no substitute for rolling up your sleeves and experimenting with your own projects. Tutorials can help break the ice so to speak but trial and error create understanding.

My two cents anyway.

Dave

beenyweenies
04-29-2006, 04:28 AM
After Effects 6.5 Studio Techniques by Mark Christiensen is a great reference. It isn't a cookbook yet it provides tremendous insight into developing effects. Another resource which deals with using various effects is the After Effects Podcast produced by Creative Cow. It is a video podcast so, you can see what is being discussed. The Creative Cow also has many tutorials which deal with effects in After Effects. That being said, there is no substitute for rolling up your sleeves and experimenting with your own projects. Tutorials can help break the ice so to speak but trial and error create understanding.

My two cents anyway.

Dave

Agree on all counts... Especially Mark's book. Great book by a great AE artist. You can see his work on Hellboy, Day After Tomorrow and many others (he works for the Orphanage)

CGTalk Moderation
04-29-2006, 04:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.