PDA

View Full Version : Couple of problems....

barnabythebear
04-20-2006, 09:31 PM
Hiya all,

I have had a few issued with EIAS on the PC since switching from the mac. The most anoying is objects disapearing in animator once i have put a texture to them (bitmap or shader). Matt told me that when animator cant see a mesh but camera can (and renders it fine), then it's the winding order of the polys thats wrong. I change the winding order via Transporter but the dosen't seem to work.

Also, sometimes when i apply a shader, i can't open it's dialouge box. The default settings apply to the mesh but I can't edit them!!

Lastly, sometimes in the texture window, when i want to use the gizmo to scale a texture, all that will happen is the gizmo will rotate only, never move or scale??

ta

nige.

Edit: I just realised that the dissapearing happens when i use Hexagon as my modeler. Is it a problem with Hexagons obj export I wonder??

SteveW928
04-21-2006, 10:06 AM
Hmm... I don't think that is a Mac/PC issue at all. I have the same thing happen when I bring models in on the Mac version. That is interesting about the 'winding order'. It happens whether I bring my models in from DXF through Transporter (no mater if I re-calc the winding order or not), or if I use the Concepts 'FACT' export directly.

What I do to solve this is to uncheck the 'cull backfaces' in the little shader ball on each window. That seems to be on by default, but has always caused display issues for me.

I notice that if I create an object with a plug-in like UberShapes... then it stays visible whether 'cull backfaces' is on or not. So, maybe this is something the modelers are doing wrong... but I think it has been around no matter which external modeler I've used since 'cull backfaces' has been an option.

I'd be curious to know more about this so I could explain it to the Concepts folks... I'm sure if they are writing out the wrong polygon winding, they might want to change it. I've always just turned off 'cull backfaces' on all my view windows.

-Steve

richardjoly
04-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Funny to see it happen to someone else...
I have this problem whenever I use 2 dimensions planes. I tought I missed a setting somewhere. Bug?
http://www.rdn.qc.ca/eias/CullBackFaces.jpg

halfworld
04-21-2006, 02:52 PM
Ubershape planes do the same thing for me here on my Mac.... I just reverse normals (info window) and it looks as expected.

Ian

richardjoly
04-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Right Ian. This fixes the Uber Shape... The FormZ plane will also appear if you pass it through Transporter and then reverse normals. Do we really have to go through this...?

halfworld
04-21-2006, 03:52 PM
You could just rotate the shape 180 degrees in the Y axis :)

I never get it on 3d shapes.... only 2d....

sacslacker
04-21-2006, 07:49 PM
I had this happen too but I figured it was reversed normals. Similar things can happen in Maya with reversed normals as well.

Is it a bug?

j4ym4h4r
04-21-2006, 08:12 PM
just thinking out loud....

is the Z reversed (backwards) in ei?

Jay

barnabythebear
04-21-2006, 08:50 PM
Hiya,

Well i've been experimenting with the origional .obj from Hexagon. Taking it into Silo and back out as an .obj file, them into EIAS and everythings fine. I don't usually like to take .obj's into EIAS direct as more often that not i have a problem with the odd flipped poly normal.

Interestingly, I brought the file back into a new project via Transporter (same settings), and thats fine too now:curious:

maybe if Blair is out there he could give us some pointers about this issue and Transporter? It can be quite a pain. Once i had textured everthing in my Project Phoenix entry the animator window was empty!

I may try experimenting with using Silo as my .obj to .fac translator?

thanks

nige.

lmcgarry
04-23-2006, 03:02 AM
I've had a lot of success with OBJ files out of UVMapper (Pro). I often use it just for conversion of OBJ files from other programs that write out a format that seems to be a bit non-standard.

Linda

CGTalk Moderation
04-23-2006, 03:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.