PDA

View Full Version : 1st post - Sunset Gate

Nirox
04-20-2006, 06:44 PM
This is my 1st post on Cgsociety.org so hi!

I've only been painting about.. 2 years or so (off an on.. I have only done about maybe 9 paintings so far) and half of that time I was addicted to world of warcraft...(full tier 2 epic pally...wooo) I've been to almost every digital art forum online and I must say this forum has the most talent I've seen your all wicked artists! here's my picture called "Sunset Gate" its still a WIP but I would like to get some comments by other artist on how to improve it and myself... thanks! :wavey:

*ill post updates when i can
http://fatguyandskinny.com/sunset6.jpg

~Jorge

offbeatworlds
04-20-2006, 06:52 PM
Ooh...very dramatic. I like your use of color, and the composition is pretty good. I'd make the wrecked bridge so more angular pieces of metal and pipe, it shouldn't look so scraggily. Anyways, nice so far, I look forward to updates.

Aloriael
04-20-2006, 07:40 PM
hey what server are you on?

Nice work btw...

I think the forground grass might need to go... some of it... it's like distracting/blocking the viewer.

Looking at it and trying to get a feeling of it... I actually feel like a rogue in stealth coming up to try and gank your pally :P so i guess your painting gives off some wow feelings since I think this place reminds me of wow...maybe that grass needs to go since i'm the rogue like viewer.

I think the cloud could do with a bit more soft fluffy feel to it.. and generally the bottom edges of the clouds has very bright light edges at this point....which might help get the fluffy look.

keep up the good work pally :P

Euphrosyne
04-20-2006, 08:08 PM
The mood in this painting and the overall compostion are really good. Aloriael is right about the clouds I believe. When the sun is that low on the horizon the underside of the clouds would be lit with a golden, pink hue and the tops of the clouds would be shadowed. Also I might help the composition if you had some clouds that ran into the right and left edges. Reminds me so much of the golden gate at the Sausalito side on a winter sunset. I hope I never see it in that condition!

Very good start, I would love to see you go on with it.

Nirox
04-21-2006, 05:12 PM
*Update april 23

http://fatguyandskinny.com/sunset11.jpg

i wounder if im done??

Nirox
04-23-2006, 08:32 PM
bump for update =)

SFR75
04-24-2006, 12:33 PM
Wew. Very nice light! You managed very well to create this "feeling". It works.
If I were you, I would work more on the bridge. The background pillar is allright.
The front one needs more details. Steel cables hang in very unrealistic weight
and look more like grass or straw to me. The damage to the pillar itself is also
kind of loose. Look at some photos of structural damages on google, that would
give you a nice visual referrence.

Runecaster
04-24-2006, 03:13 PM
Yeah I agree with everyone so far, very nice ambiance and feeling here, good perspective, I like looking up -- those mountains in the background are amazing and the distance you have achieved is excellent. Lovely colors - I really would add detail, it doesn't look finished to me... if you knocked up the level of detail in the man's clothing and the first tower (the one closer to the man) it would totally ratchet the whole piece up incredibly. Very well done!

slickgreekgeo
04-24-2006, 07:29 PM
Great choice of colors, it's coming along quite well. You might want to clean up the clouds a bit more, but other than that, superb work so far.

Nirox
04-25-2006, 12:12 AM
Im workin on an update from everyones replys... thanks so much!
i have a hard work schedual so ill update as soon as i can...but wont be for a week or so...

thanks everyone! please stay tuned! ;)

Taltos
04-25-2006, 09:25 AM
my only complaint is that the bow looks weird... considering perspective, it would almost have to be semicircular in form to look like that...and no bow i know of is semicircular. imo it should be slimmer.
do you agree?

cuddlesmcsavage
04-25-2006, 12:59 PM
the colour palette you've used is perfec for the scene. the only things that bother me are the bridge piece, which needs more detail, and the clouds, which need to be softened up to make them fit into the sky a bit better. i'm looking forward to the final piece!

CGTalk Moderation
04-25-2006, 12:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.